West Fork Dairy Ceek regulations

F
Fred
Is the west fork of dairy creek closed to fishing or is it just catch and release?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I am seeing a Dairy Creek in the Willamette Zone near Forest Grove, with west and east forks, there are no Exceptions listed for it which means it follows the Zone Regs.

That means it is open May 22 to Oct.31, the rest of the year it is closed to fishing. When open for Trout (C&R only except Brook and Brown Trout, flies and lures only), it is also open for bass and all the fish in the list that starts with 'Bluegill'.

Reactions: Fred
F
Fred
rogerdodger said:
I am seeing a Dairy Creek in the Willamette Zone near Forest Grove, with west and east forks, there are no Exceptions listed for it which means it follows the Zone Regs.

That means it is open May 22 to Oct.31, the rest of the year it is closed to fishing. When open for Trout (C&R only except Brook and Brown Trout, flies and lures only), it is also open for bass and all the fish in the list that starts with 'Bluegill'.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
You gotta dig a bit deeper. Dairy Creek is a tributary of the Tualatin. Per the regs, the Tualatin and all tributaries are now open year round. Catch & release for trout, flies and lures only. For those over in Yamhill County - the Yamhill River has similar regulations.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GungasUncle said:
You gotta dig a bit deeper. Dairy Creek is a tributary of the Tualatin. Per the regs, the Tualatin and all tributaries are now open year round. Catch & release for trout, flies and lures only. For those over in Yamhill County - the Yamhill River has similar regulations.

You are correct, this is a great example of local knowledge being important when it comes to regs. on smaller tributaries.

Tualatin River and Tributaries
The following apply to open sections below: *
  • Open all year for trout. Harvest allowed May 22 – Oct 31, 2 per day, 8 inch minimum length, remainder of year catch-and-release.
* Mainstem mouth to Hwy 47 bridge at Gaston
  • Open for coho salmon Aug 1 – Oct 31.
  • Use of bait allowed.
* Mainstem above Hwy 47 bridge at Gaston and all tributaries
  • Artificial flies and lures only.

bass
bass
Great job decoding the regs @GungasUncle

I think the motto of the ODFW should be: "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to retrieve" :)

Reactions: GungasUncle and rogerdodger