Went salmon fishing and ended up with a sturgeon!

T
Troutslayerjenn
So we finally took our boat out this weekend after getting the motor fixed, and headed out to the mouth of the sandy in the Columbia river. We were marking fish left and right but nothing was biting. We tried everything, and still nothing. Then a monster of a Sturgeon rolled and I began to setup my sturgeon pole (only used once before). We moved down the river a bit and sat there for about 20 minutes and BAM, my pole started to get a bit. I jumped up and my dad started yelling, "grab the pole, set the hook!" So I did, and it was on. I'm not that big so the fish felt like a monster. I kept picturing an 8' sturgeon on the other end as I kept reeling in. When I finally got the fish to the boat, it felt like forever, but my dad said it was only like 3 minutes...I was surpassed how tiny it was. But still very excited as it is my first sturgeon ever! So I pulled the little guy out quickly, got a poor shot of him (didn't want him out of the water too long), took the hook out, and slid him back into the water.

It was awesome! I can't wait to do it again.

IMG_9940.jpg

Reactions: bass
bass
bass
Great job! The sturgeon fight really hard when the water temp is in the 50s and 60s. Once it dips into the 40s they get a bit more sluggish. It still blows my mind that we have these giants that we can fish for.

E
eugene1
Nice sturgie!

Chromatose
Chromatose
Good for you Jen..........

A
amnis
Awesome that sounds greatt!

S
sapo
Sweet fish!! Sounds super fun