Well the dam sea lions are safe!

B
beaverfan
OR State Wire
Published: Today

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - The Humane Society of the United States says it has reached an agreement with the states of Oregon and Washington and a federal agency to temporarily halt plans to kill California sea lions at Bonneville Dam this year.

The Humane Society said Wednesday the agreement with the states and NOAA Fisheries Service suspends plans to kill as many as 85 sea lions at the dam, where they feed on federally protected salmon and steelhead migrating up the Columbia River.

Earlier this month, the fisheries service had authorized the states to resume killing some sea lions after a federal appeals court struck down the previous authorization last year.

The Humane Society argues that overfishing, hatchery practices and dam operations are a much bigger threat to fish.

© 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

H
halibuthitman
well then... sounds good to me, after all, they are the humane society... don't they know everything. btw, anybody want to buy some sturgeon rods? mabe they could be used for halibut or something-

T
the_intimidator03
People never seize to amaze me. Irrespective of how much damage Fisherman, Dams, and the Hatchery Practices do to fish populations and quality, They still miss the point that this is a salt water marine mammal INVADING fresh water to live, eat, and poop.

C_Run
C_Run
Should be called "river lions".

C
ChezJfrey
C_Run said:
Should be called "river lions".

Yeah, we've got both river and sea otters...seems the logical step to re-categorize this particular subset :)

G
GDBrown
I've already re-categorized them. "Oregon River Monsters" !!!!!

H
Hawk
It seems a lot of these Sea Lions came from San Francisco Bay. They should Go Back Home...

S
skunk
The thing that is scary...how many nutballs are out there trying to outlaw the pastime we enjoy as hunting and fishing. If they try so hard to save wolves, sealions, and owls, you know they are trying to kill OFF our hobby also!!!

J
JeannaJigs
Crap. I had my heart set on a complete mount for my living room. There goes that dream. Just like that.

W
waco
Dam sea lions are safe, Sturgeon not!!! :mad: :mad:

N
NoobTooner
thats perty s#!ty 4 all u boaters eh? wonder if u can taze em? that would be pretty therapeutic i bet. and its not KILLING them right? ...hmmmm:shock::think::lol::dance:

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
sea lions are under a blanket of laws that do not let you do anything to them unless provoked........brings to mind, southpark... he's coming straight for us! shoot!

B
Bassleg
What does Bin Laden have in common with a salmon........Every thing is going
OK until they meet a seal.