Well.. here I am!

brandon4455

Been a long time since I’ve posted here, but circumstances have me looking for intel and maybe even a couple people to fish with here and there. Long story short, my girlfriend and I are expecting our first child and I won’t have much time to go float tube lakes often for a little while. And since there are places close to home I can fish for a few hours and such, I’ve gotten into carping a lot more. And not even with a fly, just in general.

ive fished them on and off for 6 or so years but just recently got into fishing for them solid and I’ve just barely broke the ice on Euro type methods and learning fish habits and such. It’s been very interesting to say the least!

Anyways.. I’m in Dallas and have been fishing Salem area with some success, but I’m real interested in finding lakes and ponds to try instead of just being on the Willamette all of the time.a little change in scenery would be nice, does anyone have suggestions?? And also, looking for people who enjoy to carp fish to tag along sometimes. Shoot me a pm in this regard.

ive attached photos of a couple I’ve caught on pop up rigs so far this year

Attachments

troutdude

Well surprise surprise! Welcome back Brandon!

I'm not real sure; but Minto Brown Island Park has a solid warmwater fishery. Which may include Carp.

The same may be true, of the ponds to the north, at Willamette Mission State Park as well.

brandon4455

Never stopped Anatoliy! Just been a busy man working my tail off and maintaining life. Though the past year I have fished way less than when I first showed up here at the age of 15.

hi jay, minto brown is also a common spot I fish in the Salem area I spend a lot of time on it when the carp in the main river aren’t at the bank spots I fish. It’s not bad but there aren’t as many fish as there use to be. It’s been fished out pretty good unfortunately.

troutdude

brandon4455;n610870 said:
It’s not bad but there aren’t as many fish as there use to be. It’s been fished out pretty good unfortunately.
Sadly true about many of our favorite waters.

brandon4455

Hi Chris, good to see you’re still around.i haven’t missed a beat, still fishing as always especially Stillwater trout on flies. Carp game has been fun and kept me occupied. Love it!

OGcarper, great fish those are beauties! I’ve only fished down there for carp once a handful of years ago, and I’m aware of bodies of water that have loads of them down there but haven’t fished them. I will gladly come down sometime this spring and fish with ya hopefully before the spawn. Baby is due in the first week of may so have to work around that lol.
I don’t have a pod or bite alarm or any specialized gear at the moment except for my tackle (pop up corn,shrink tube,rig rings,etc) so I’m a little jerry rigged, but it’s working until I can fill holes gear wise. I’ll be in touch

jay, very true and sad as well I’ve watched many fisheries I love collapse and fish have been pushed to far boundaries. The state of our fisheries is truly grim, but it could be worse. I still try to make the best of it

Native Fisher

brandon4455;n610881 said:
Hi Chris, good to see you’re still around.i haven’t missed a beat, still fishing as always especially Stillwater trout on flies. Carp game has been fun and kept me occupied. Love it!

OGcarper, great fish those are beauties! I’ve only fished down there for carp once a handful of years ago, and I’m aware of bodies of water that have loads of them down there but haven’t fished them. I will gladly come down sometime this spring and fish with ya hopefully before the spawn. Baby is due in the first week of may so have to work around that lol.
I don’t have a pod or bite alarm or any specialized gear at the moment except for my tackle (pop up corn,shrink tube,rig rings,etc) so I’m a little jerry rigged, but it’s working until I can fill holes gear wise. I’ll be in touch

jay, very true and sad as well I’ve watched many fisheries I love collapse and fish have been pushed to far boundaries. The state of our fisheries is truly grim, but it could be worse. I still try to make the best of it
Do people keep the carp? I just always assumed everyone would let them go, this making the fishery stay good.

brandon4455

Native Fisher;n610882 said:
Do people keep the carp? I just always assumed everyone would let them go, this making the fishery stay good.
I’ve met a few Russian people in Salem who love to eat thebcarp and suckers, but not many. I was speaking of fisheries in general on the depletion of good fishable numbers. Carp do take a hit in some places though believe it or not. People who hate them and bowfish or snag them and waste them basically. They’ve been removed from a lot of places around here. I gladly catch and release as I have no use for them dead

Native Fisher

brandon4455;n610884 said:
I’ve met a few Russian people in Salem who love to eat thebcarp and suckers, but not many. I was speaking of fisheries in general on the depletion of good fishable numbers. Carp do take a hit in some places though believe it or not. People who hate them and bowfish or snag them and waste them basically. They’ve been removed from a lot of places around here. I gladly catch and release as I have no use for them dead
Thats to bad people waste them like that. I am completely unfamiliar with Carp really. When I lived in Eugene we would see giant carp cruising back waters, but never messed with them at all. Don't that eat a lot of weeds? Seems like they would be good for the rivers...

troutdude

brandon4455

If you get down to, the Eugene area. There are some biggies, about 200 yards below Fern Ridge Dam. In the Long Tom River. I just remembered that I stopped there, a few years ago, for lunch. And watched a dude, bring in several.

I’m an avid carp angler, I travel all over Oregon and Washington and soon to be California. If you want to learn more and check out some sweet pics drop by my Instagram page Oregon_carp_angler and send me a message! Let’s talk carp maybe meet up and fish. I try to stay away from the bow guys so I won’t say too much here