Weirdest things you've found outdoors!?

B

beaverfan

What's the oddest things you guys have found out in the woods? Whether you found bigfoot or an old shack I want to hear about it.

The main one for me was a couple summers ago up by Timothy Lake off a spur rd. my girlfriend another friend and me were trying to find a camping spot. We find this nice little spot, got out and glanced around the site. About thirty yards from the road there I saw an american flag hanging from some branches. I walk up to it and there's a big pile of rocks about 6ft long and 3ft wide with a twig cross with the flag draped over it. Probably should have reported it. But it was a fairly traveled area and my first impression was it was someones idea of a joke.

J

JeannaJigs

was driving up an old forest service road north of florence somewhere, I can't recall the exact road, and we just got a new 4x4 truck so wanted to take it up some really rough roads..took it up this one road and there was a camp, so we were gonna just back out, but my friend (the genius that he is) decided to get out and investigate. Everything was ripped to pieces, and chewed on. I was thinkin' bear. but there were cougar tracks in the mud, and cougar poop. So we don't know what happened to the person...but they might've become a snack. Probably should've reported it, but there's so many abandoned camps like that. Haven't gone back up there lol. It's been like 10 years. Coming back down the road in the middle of nowhere we saw a guy and a girl walking down the road with no gear, nothing. They didn't look up at us at all when we drove by, and the guy was carrying one of those 5 gallon collapsible water jugs, that appeared to be filled with a gallon or so of urine? Wierd stuff goes down on back roads.

A

Anyfishisfine

I found a foot in a boot. No leg or anything else came with it.

Edit - I had to find pictures and stuff - so the rest of the story.

When I was in Okinawa in the 90's my friends and I explored the jungle that was part of one of the major fights in the battle of Okinawa in WWII. The place was called Yaeju-Duke, and here is a description of the battle better than I can give.

USA-P-Okinawa-51m.jpg

Anyway we were looking for caves and bunkers, and founds a cave (old cave tomb really judging from the jars of bones in the back). It was about 10'x15', and from the artifacts we determined it held 3 Japaneses defenders... 3 rice bowls, 3 canteens, 3 gas masks, etc...

The floor was littered with hand grenades, all rusted through, but we were very careful.

Imagine a hole on the side of a cliff holding 3 guys with a pile of hand grenades between them, and that's pretty much what we found. They found their ends pretty violently. The mouth of the cave was burned from flame throwers, and the pottery urns in the back were all shattered and had shrapnel marks.

On the floor was a boot. My friend picked it up and it sounded like something was in it, so he dumped it into his hand. It was a foot, or rather the bones from one.

I have pictures I could scan if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
K

Kodiak

Banned User
Double Homicide

Double Homicide

Was looking for a camping spot back in montana, got out and found a nice place and there was acompletly decomposed (bones only) skelaton of a moose with a single bullet hole through its shoulder. Walked to an opening throught the trees on an old overgrown road and a pickup with the keys in it and a half tank of gas. Walked back to my truck and tripped over a .300 weatherby with the guy that shot the moose was still holding it. After several minutes to gain my composure (clean my drawers) I went to the nearest phone, called the cops, and waited for them to show up. Turns out the guy was missing for three years. After forensics got done they figure the guy was hunting, got trampled by a moose because he didn't have atag for it and in the process got a round off in the mooses shoulder, eventually killing it, they guy had three broken ribs on his left side, which probably punctured his lung/heart killing him.

Last edited:
A

A_J-Llama

Driving home from fishing all day, I found a tackle box along side the road with no cars in sight. The box was full of trout gear and had a nice .22 auto hand gun in the bottom compartment.:shock:

A

Anyfishisfine

Was looking for a camping spot back in montana, got out and found a nice place and there was acompletly decomposed (bones only) skelaton of a moose with a single bullet hole through its shoulder. Walked to an opening throught the trees on an old overgrown road and a pickup with the keys in it and a half tank of gas. Walked back to my truck and tripped over a .300 weatherby with the guy that shot the moose was still holding it. After several minutes to gain my composure (clean my drawers) I went to the nearest phone, called the cops, and waited for them to show up. Turns out the guy was missing for three years. After forensics got done they figure the guy was hunting, got trampled by a moose because he didn't have atag for it and in the process got a round off in the mooses shoulder, eventually killing it, they guy had three broken ribs on his left side, which probably punctured his lung/heart killing him.

I always have this fear of finding a dead guy fishing because of my preference for the most secluded spots. My foot (above) was at least on a battlefield, and could be 1/2 expected.

M

mgdguy

When I was 13 my buddy and I found a sack full of Playboys in the woods :) Thought we struck gold!

K

Kodiak

Banned User
I always have this fear of finding a dead guy fishing because of my preference for the most secluded spots. My foot (above) was at least on a battlefield, and could be 1/2 expected.

That was the 2nd body I've found, the first was when I was a kid, a bum drank himself to death near our bus stop, the third the seals were playing with in Siletz bay and pushed him over to the beach at Mo's..I guess they knew he belonged over there...."fished" him out with a long stick and held him there till cops showed up...that guy stank..committed suicide 3 days before and couldn't find his body when he jumped off the bridge at hwy 101....I have the best luck when I go out with my family...So now who wants to go play in the woods with me?

A

adambomb

I was grouse hunting when I was 18 and found a brand new 00' tacoma SR5 about 200 down a super steep hillside. The truck was on its roof and had rolled several times. I was expecting to find bodys, but instead found a very clean truck with the ignition key only, still in the ignition. I also noticed that the shifter was in neutral. I then followed the trucks path back up to the road where I found the glove box contents, insurance, registration and such, neatly piled on the edge of the road. Then I put it all together and called the cops. Truck was reported stolen, but the deputy agreed that it was one of the worst insurance scams he'd ever seen!

M

metalmania

That was the 2nd body I've found, the first was when I was a kid, a bum drank himself to death near our bus stop, the third the seals were playing with in Siletz bay and pushed him over to the beach at Mo's..I guess they knew he belonged over there...."fished" him out with a long stick and held him there till cops showed up...that guy stank..committed suicide 3 days before and couldn't find his body when he jumped off the bridge at hwy 101....I have the best luck when I go out with my family...So now who wants to go play in the woods with me?

Who needs a search dog when they could just use you:lol:. I've never found a body but I did find a skeleton hand in a construction site just outside of vegas. It only had the pointer finger and part of the pinky and thumb attached. It sounds like i'm kidding but i'm totally serious. I picked it up and pretended to wave at my dad with it, then threw it back in the bushes( I kinda wanted to keep it though) . Never did call the cops. Figured there's probably so many bodies buried out there they probably wouldn't care.

A

autofisher

One of the creepiest was when I was out repoing in the back roads of Willamina. We were trying to find a road and then found the sign had been knocked down. While we were trying to figure out where the sign was supposed to be posted, we found a bloody shoe, a gun holster and two rounds. Got in the truck and left. Immediately.

Another time we were driving out in Scotts Mills and pulled up on a side road that had six white sheep all slaughtered and just piled in a pyramid. Didn't want to find out what it was all about.

I've also found some just plain wierd stuff out in the middle of the woods while I was hunting. Let's just say that about five miles off the beaten path up Wagner Rd in Mill City, someone decided to have a "romantic" campout. Found rose pedals all over, three bottles of unopened champagne and some "adult toys". Another one where we didn't want to find out what it was all about. Took a bottle of champagne and got tanked later that night. Thing about it is....... I just can't see most people from Mill City buying champagne...... unless its wrapped under a Coors Label:lol:

K

Kodiak

Banned User
One of the creepiest was when I was out repoing in the back roads of Willamina. We were trying to find a road and then found the sign had been knocked down. While we were trying to figure out where the sign was supposed to be posted, we found a bloody shoe, a gun holster and two rounds. Got in the truck and left. Immediately.

Another time we were driving out in Scotts Mills and pulled up on a side road that had six white sheep all slaughtered and just piled in a pyramid. Didn't want to find out what it was all about.

I've also found some just plain wierd stuff out in the middle of the woods while I was hunting. Let's just say that about five miles off the beaten path up Wagner Rd in Mill City, someone decided to have a "romantic" campout. Found rose pedals all over, three bottles of unopened champagne and some "adult toys". Another one where we didn't want to find out what it was all about. Took a bottle of champagne and got tanked later that night. Thing about it is....... I just can't see most people from Mill City buying champagne...... unless its wrapped under a Coors Label:lol:

We do..it's just the $3.00 version..cheap down and dirty...get ya crocked in a hurry...and the chicks dig it.:D(just black out a couple of his teeth..mill city smile!)

T

Troutier Bassier

:

:shock::lol:
Jeez1

M

metalmania

[QUOTEAnother time we were driving out in Scotts Mills and pulled up on a side road that had six white sheep all slaughtered and just piled in a pyramid. Didn't want to find out what it was all about. :[/QUOTE]

My buddy found a sheep slaughtered by some vodoo cult people. He showed it to me and they made a real mess of it. There's some sick sob's out there.

B

beaverfan

I just thought of another one. I grew up on Chehalem Mt. outside of Newberg. We had some decent acreage. One time shortly after moving there while exploring my new forest I stumbled across an old wagon wheel and next to it was ruts from an old road. Also while exploring I found an old small little reservoir absolutely loaded with crawdads. There was also a crashed plane there somewhere but I never found it.

T

Troutier Bassier

Finally realized one after reading the same thread on IFISH.

Found a Hobo Camp?? I think, At Lewis and Clark State Park while Coho Drifting. Below the I-84 Bridge, On the "Other Side" Of the Pillar that hold it up There was a Bunch of Junk, Like Clothes, Boots, 2 Aviators, Hats, etc. And My friend started Freaking out cause we were there alone, and then in the forest Behined us we saw a guy Stand up and Look straight at us. :shock: We ran, As fast as Possible away to the RR Bridge where other People Were.

Scared the carp out of me.

Troutski

Troutski

Heather Locklear...

Heather Locklear...

I happened on Heather Locklear while hiking into Otter lake in early spring...something one doesn't forget in four lifetimes. She signed my float tube and fins...funny how a guy 50lbs over weight can magically have a flat stomach, of course I couldn't speak or breath;)
Bummer so many post on this thread have death in involved with a memory, of course I did come close to heart attack that day on the trail... Must admit she was very down to earth and friendly, not to mention easy on the eyes.

Chuck

M

metalmania

I happened on Heather Locklear while hiking into Otter lake in early spring...something one doesn't forget in four lifetimes. She signed my float tube and fins...funny how a guy 50lbs over weight can magically have a flat stomach, of course I couldn't speak or breath;)
Bummer so many post on this thread have death in involved with a memory, of course I did come close to heart attack that day on the trail... Must admit she was very down to earth and friendly, not to mention easy on the eyes.

Chuck

Are you serious:shock:? How do you just happen upon Heather Locklear while hiking in the woods. I'd bealive you got probed by aliens before that:lol:.

F

Fishtopher

Finally realized one after reading the same thread on IFISH.

Found a Hobo Camp?? I think, At Lewis and Clark State Park while Coho Drifting. Below the I-84 Bridge, On the "Other Side" Of the Pillar that hold it up There was a Bunch of Junk, Like Clothes, Boots, 2 Aviators, Hats, etc. And My friend started Freaking out cause we were there alone, and then in the forest Behined us we saw a guy Stand up and Look straight at us. :shock: We ran, As fast as Possible away to the RR Bridge where other People Were.

Scared the carp out of me.

Hobo camp for sure. Had a few run ins in years past with the "locals" down there. Be careful in there! County cops can't seem to keep em out.

Top Bottom