Trout 2020 Show OFF

P
playhooky
Grant22 said:
Those aren’t the yellow spots on the side you can’t see them in the pic but they looked like a little yellow dot on its belly. Compared to a lot of the other brooders it looked pretty good and it tasted pretty good too.

Perhaps you just ate a $1000 Derby Winner Trout with the yellow dot identifying the prize value. Oh boy!

• Haha
Reactions: Admin and Grant22
Grant22
Grant22
Oh man would that suck

Irishrover
Irishrover
Brookies are colorfull fish and fun to hook up with a fly. Gold Lake used to be a great place to fly fish for them. Haven't been there in years, may be time to head over there.

Grant22
Grant22
They usually put a tag in derby fish and not a dye mark.

SciFly
SciFly
That is a beast!!! You won't be forgetting the experience anytime soon. Hats off to you buddy!
As for yellow dots on trout bellies, I have caught many trout with those same markings, as I am sure there are a great number of fisherman that can recall seeing those same yellow spots on trout from the past. I cannot add any research data to this, but based on the wide variety of locations I have caught fish with those markings, and basic hereditary science, I would make an educated guess that they are nothing more than birth marks (spots with pigment differences) and are likely the result of either inter-breeding or genetic mutations (sorry if this is getting too deep). There may be some distant relative in the wood pile (Yellowstone cutthroat, German brown, etc.) that had yellowish throat or belly markings and these are just DNA blips showing up many generations down the line. No such thing as "purebred" anything anymore.

Option #2: who knows???

What cannot be denied is the fact that this is one awesome fish!!! Congratulations!

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal and Aervax
G
Gulfstream
What a beast! Where did you catch it?

Grant22
Grant22
I caught it at pine hollow.

Grant22
Grant22
SciFly said:
That is a beast!!! You won't be forgetting the experience anytime soon. Hats off to you buddy!
As for yellow dots on trout bellies, I have caught many trout with those same markings, as I am sure there are a great number of fisherman that can recall seeing those same yellow spots on trout from the past. I cannot add any research data to this, but based on the wide variety of locations I have caught fish with those markings, and basic hereditary science, I would make an educated guess that they are nothing more than birth marks (spots with pigment differences) and are likely the result of either inter-breeding or genetic mutations (sorry if this is getting too deep). There may be some distant relative in the wood pile (Yellowstone cutthroat, German brown, etc.) that had yellowish throat or belly markings and these are just DNA blips showing up many generations down the line. No such thing as "purebred" anything anymore.

Option #2: who knows???

What cannot be denied is the fact that this is one awesome fish!!! Congratulations!

That is actually a REALLY good thought and makes a lot of sense especially with how most of the stocker trout are crosses between cutties and rainbows. There would be amble opportunity for a mutation like that to happen in the pigment.

troutdude
troutdude
Grant22 said:
I caught it at pine hollow.

There have been several beasts pulled out of that place over the decades. Again...well done!

Grant22
Grant22
It bent the hooks out on my lure to a 90 degree angle.

• Wow
Reactions: SciFly and troutdude
brandon4455
brandon4455
It was a mighty fine spring and early summer on the stillwaters. Nothing quite like kicking around in a float tube enjoying the scenery, and shaking fins with some spectacular fighting trout. I lost battles with a lot of good fish but put a couple really good ones in the net. Lots of variety this year! I caught rainbows,browns,brookies,tigers,kokanee, and whitefish. Mostly on chironomid pupa, balanced leeches, and callibaetis nymphs.but a few trolling and stripping with an intermediate line. Most trips were super fast action but I did have a few where I had to work for them. I was fortunate to spend more than a dozen days on the water between may and beginning of July, but have not fished since. Too busy. I was suppose to start an article for some fly tying on here, but a lack of time has kept me from the vise for a bit.my apologies to Anatoliy for the lack of material. Back to it when things cool down for fall season! I’ll add more photos in a bit

• CBE344B3-B597-4C7C-8AE5-D0F9DE3D6E88.jpeg
  • 9B1C4A44-A0F4-464D-9BF4-B9880720B3C7.jpeg
  • 5D24414A-D4AC-4FA3-AC27-94F6E839206D.jpeg
  • BF541CC9-69AC-41BA-B4D8-FC47B428D9B5.jpeg
  • F382CD6E-07E3-4FBB-8AAA-DB6A97E1E155.jpeg
  • 198DA641-A835-4B10-AD14-938E7733138B.jpeg
Reactions: SciFly, troutdude, TheKnigit and 2 others
C_Run
C_Run
Very nice! Glad you got out so much.

troutdude
troutdude
Wow! Excellent report and NICE FEESH!

brandon4455
brandon4455
Thanks guys.

Chris, I got lucky my significant other was brave enough to let me go and watch our hyper 2 year old 2-3 days at a time, and I also have a great babysitter. Soon enough, I’ll have him on the water with me and I won’t even have to worry.

Jay, I would’ve liked to put more details like I use to, but I didn’t fire up the laptop and man this phone is a pain in the arse for doing multi paragraphs. Maybe I’m just lazy now because I have so much more going on than fishing, but don’t let it fool ya, I still think about fishing on a daily basis :D

Reactions: Admin