Weekend trip

M
Mattdm22
My brother and I are heading up to Olallie this weekend for some fishing and camping. We are going to rent a row boat for the day and was wondering where to fish and what to use? Was also wondering about bank fishing too. I know it is pretty shallow but would floating flies work or what? Any input would be awesome thanks guys!

L
lilsalmon
PM sent

troutdude
troutdude
You just got a PM, from the world's leading expert on Olallie! I was gonna wish ya luck, but now you will know all of the tricks and do well.

E
eggs
Check the high lakes thread for info on other lakes around olallie to hike to! I am sure lilsalmon filled ya in on the goodies but if you still have questions let me know and I will try to hook you up!

OnTheFly and I(and wife) will be up there too! Look for a toon and grey driftboat tossing flies!

M
Mattdm22
troutdude said:
You just got a PM, from the world's leading expert on Olallie! I was gonna wish ya luck, but now you will know all of the tricks and do well.

Got me all excited for a PM troutdude and NOTHING!:think:

We have a map of the area but aren't sure if we will try any of the hike-in lakes around but ya never know! See ya up there eggs!

L
lilsalmon
troutdude said:

Thank you.....but I am so far from "the world's leading expert on Olallie". I just like to fish there.

L
lilsalmon
eggs said:
Check the high lakes thread for info on other lakes around olallie to hike to! I am sure lilsalmon filled ya in on the goodies but if you still have questions let me know and I will try to hook you up!

OnTheFly and I(and wife) will be up there too! Look for a toon and grey driftboat tossing flies!

Awwwwww you guys are going???? I am so jealous....have a great time....and you too Matt

E
eggs
Rose you are welcome to come!!

B
bigfootfish
troutdude said:

I'm not one to usually toot my own horn, but I've been told that I am one of the best experts on Olallie Lake. One of. I've been going up there since 1974, back when the nearest paved road ended 30 miles from Olallie. It used to take 3 hours to drive from Detroit to Olallie. The roads back then were ROUGH!!:pray:
Over the years I've kept track of how many of those big shrimp-fed brooders I've pulled out of Olallie, brooders which are grown at the ODFW Oak Springs Hatchery on the lower Deschutes near Maupin. That hatchery has been dropping rainbows in Olallie, Pine Hollow, Clear & Frog Lakes(Mt. Hood), and Rock Springs Reservoir up to 20 POUNDS for a very long time. If you got a boat, stay at the resort end of the lake and troll flies, kwikfish, worms, black roosterstails, and a wide variety of Blue Fox #3 or #4 spinners. Good luck! I'm gonna go catch a steelhead!:dance::dance::dance:

BFF

PS I forgot to mention my running lifetime total of biguns outa Olallie. The number is: 365!

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
eggs said:
Rose you are welcome to come!!

You think my niece would mind if I didn't show up at her wedding? Darn...

BTW Bigfootfish IS the expert on Olallie :D

B
bigfootfish
Aw shucks! Anyway, I just had about the most frustrating day of my life fishing. Went after summer steelhead on the North Santiam in a supercool spot. I had hundreds and hundreds of steelhead and assorted Spring Chinook jumping and rolling all around me. I almost had a steelie land in my lap chasing a fly!:shock: But I got skunked.:wall: Tried just about everything but the kitchen sink. DANG!!!:( I got an old Dupont lure somewhere........just kidding!:lol:
There's always tomorrow.....Oh! BiMart has a new lure out I gotta git. It's called a cut-plug. It''s shaped a little bit like a banana or a kwikfish, but it has a chamber in the belly of it that opens up so as to place a sardine, koonshrimp, herring or whatever inside. That will make the plug leave a trail behind it that the fish can follow. It is supposed to be knockin' the big fish on the Rogue dead. Sounds interesting.

BFF

L
lilsalmon
Sorry to hear of your skunking......do you drive a nice black car cause it was parked next to us at Salmon Falls today and it smelled really bad like skunk.....:lol: :lol:

I got 10 trout today on the Little North Fork....not rubbing it in...they were small but boy do they get feisty

B
bigfootfish
LS, no I drive a new red mini-van. Ten trout? Cooool. Upstream from Salmon Falls up past the campground the streams are full of brookies. I love catching brookies!:D
I'm thinking of taking the day off from chasing steelies and catch their smaller cousins. Gain some perspective. The North Santiam was about the perfect temperature for trout and salmon yesterday, right at 56 degrees.:think: No wonder the beasties were frolicking and behaving as they were.:naughty:

BFF

M
Mattdm22
We are back and already miss the place lol. We caught only 3 during our stay but who cares when it comes to the scenery around. We camped at Camp Ten and rented a boat Saturday for half a day but they gave it to us for the whole day which was nice of them! Caught the 3 by the resort with power eggs and a blue fox. We also hiked the trail around Monon Lake which was another nice lake to see! Didn't fish there but looks like it holds some nice fish. Here's a link to my photo album of the trip.

E
eggs
Yea the wnd kinda stopped the bite this weekend.... we caught maybe 15 fish combined all weekend... we tried to get into camp 10 and drove through but it looked jammed packed with a big group so we ended up at the windiest spot site #24 in peninsula...

Glad y'all had a good time and discovered the gem called Olallie!

B
bigfootfish
There's cutthroat and brookies in Monon.

BFF

M
Metz84
eggs said:
Yea the wnd kinda stopped the bite this weekend.... we caught maybe 15 fish combined all weekend... we tried to get into camp 10 and drove through but it looked jammed packed with a big group so we ended up at the windiest spot site #24 in peninsula...

Glad y'all had a good time and discovered the gem called Olallie!

We were camped on the right hand side across from camp 10 with a Miata, mustang, and 2 jeeps. Yeah camp 10 was packed that weekend for sure. It was so peacefull until night time then you could hear people from all around the lake just puking their brains out and you could hear a fart a mile away... Good Times...:cool: