Weather shuts ocean down for a while

Irishrover

Most Featured
The wind and swell sure put a damper on the ocean fishing. Small craft advisory and bumpy water are keeping most folks tied to the dock.

TODAY N wind 10 to 15 kt with gusts to 20 kt, rising to 20 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves N 4 ft at 5 seconds. NW swell 5 ft at 9 seconds.

SAT N wind 15 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Wind waves N 4 ft at 6 seconds. NW swell 5 ft at 9 seconds.

Monday and Tuesday looking good.

I do enjoy fishing the ocean, but not thrilled to be tied to the dock. This picture below from last year is driving my desire to go fishing.
IMG_0158.JPG

Last edited:

rogerdodger

Most Featured
I'm liking the look of next Wednesday....the forecast should settle down by Sunday, make my decision then...

Irishrover

Most Featured
"the forecast should settle down by Sunday" agree. I am hoping Monday will give us a shot. I want to see if we can pick up some near shore halibut.

Aervax

Most Featured
Has wind been worse than normal for salt water anglers this year? It sure feels worse than usual in the gorge. My pal cancelled our lower Deschutes 3 day trip that we had planned for early this week. He did not want us to have to row his cataraft against the wind all day every day to get down to the Columbia in time for work. There would not have been much time to fish, or hang out in camp and relax.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
Has wind been worse than normal for salt water anglers this year? It sure feels worse than usual in the gorge. My pal cancelled our lower Deschutes 3 day trip that we had planned for early this week. He did not want us to have to row his cataraft against the wind all day every day to get down to the Columbia in time for work. There would not have been much time to fish, or hang out in camp and relax.
here on the central coast we had relentless north wind right on through until the last week of June. since there things have been more normal, wind comes up for a few days, takes a break for a few days...

that is what I am hoping this is with the next break starting Monday, Tuesday looking good and the best day for small boats is looking like Wednesday as of now. wind forecast could still change...

Irishrover

Most Featured
This is fairly normal. I check my log from last year and noted lots of wind. Years ago when I was on limited vacation time we spent the week at a motel down there watching the summer Olympics because we could not get out. The trick at Newport is an early start and off the water in the afternoon. There have been times in the past with windless flat ocean days, those I live for.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
That news makes my day. I did not know that. Very cool!!!
as many people may have seen, the proposed special regulations for fall coastal chinook were adopted. For most rivers it is 1 wild chinook per day and 5 total (Note: in some areas the 5 seasonal total is for a group of rivers). There are no changes to the Umpqua and Rogue fall salmon regs.

ODFW sets temporary wild fall Chinook salmon seasons for coastal rivers: Reduced bag limits, closures this year due to poor returns of wild Chinook salmon

Link: ODFW sets temporary wild fall Chinook salmon seasons for coastal rivers

here is what we have for the group of central coast rivers:

Duckcross

With the ocean shut down this weekend for me, we fished the Umpqua river in Reedsport we boated a Chinook about 18" long and released it saw a few other small fished released. saw 1 adult netted, really slow fishing. I am ready for the ocean to lay back down and get back out there.

Irishrover

Most Featured
Going to give it a try in the am. Looks like the next couple of days could be good!

GaryP1958

Seems to me they should cut back on the ocean harvest and allow more tidewater at least they have a chance to spawn!

Irishrover

Most Featured
The wind took a break and the ocean laid down flat. The wind was absent to the point I could stand on my deck and light my pipe with a match. Not often I can do that. Looks to be a good day tomorrow. We got our limit of four coho and had to sort through a few unclipped fish to do that. Pink hoochie with a diver at 14 pulls was hot. Fished 160 fow off the light house at Newport. The fish picture is a redue of last year.
IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG

Irishrover

Most Featured
Well it was slow today 6 non clipped fish and one clipped, then the wind showed up in the afternoon. Looks like the wind will be here a few days.

rogerdodger

Most Featured
0-3 today out of Depoe Bay for me today....beautiful day out on the ocean, 6.5 hours at the pedals for me, but my take-downs just didn't stick....very slow day according to the fish checker.

Irishrover

Most Featured
Great picture! Yes getting those bite to stick has been a problem for us as well. They come unbuttoned very easy. 6.5 hours peddling yikes my legs would fall off.

Irishrover

Most Featured
Ocean winds came in Sunday and have been here for a while. Looking at the red flag flying today, so I guess it will be a day of sight seeing!

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom