Wear sunscreen when you fish!!!!!!!!!!

M
mrlindeman
Today the report was 65 degrees and partly cloudy. On our fishing trip today Karen and I did not expect the sun to come out. This is the result of her forgetting sunscreen on a 6 hour drift fishing day.

frontburn.png

backburn.png

This will be a burn to remember for sure

B
Bassleg
I wear sunscreen when I am outside even if it's overcast because it makes you look older than you really are and dealing with skin cancer uses too much FISHIN $$$$$.

M
mrlindeman
skin cancer is very serious and not really a fishing joke heh?

D
Drew9870
Double Post...

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
Right on the dot Bassleg, UV rays age the skin, I like to tell that to the girls that fake-n-bake (Tanning Salon), I always tell them "Your gonna be in your late 20's and look about twice that", ironic cuz I said it to someone today :lol:.

And Bud, I had no idea she got burnt, you better get her some SPF 5000 if she plans on doin more fishin in the near future. Get some fresh or pure Aloe and put it on the burn.

Last edited:
F
fishtales
+1 on the sunblock even if it is only on the left side while driving. If out on the water or on the bank its sunscrean or long sleeve shirt and hat. That is one heck of a burn:shock:

R
Razz
Check Bass Pro 's Glacier Glove Dr. Shade also sun hat with back shade,I just purchased a wide brim bush style hat from Columbia.Many people will get the tops of ears BURNT it will come back and haunt you also tops of hands..

J
JeannaJigs
I'm rocking a similar burn...and i DID use sunscreen. I applied spf 50 three times!! I'm glad I'm required to wear longsleeve shirts at work to conceal my tattoo, or I'd get all kinds of crap about my lobster red arms. Fortunately, my face didn't burn this time. Yay for aloe and lidocaine.

M
mrlindeman
Tea Tree Oil works great for the pain too.

J
john montana
An alternative if you hate sunscreen like I do (oily, nasty, and my preferred quarry can smellmit on my flies and tippet pretty easily) is a buff. I wear a long sleeve uv shirt, sun gloves, a uv buff and hat...regardless of how you do it, thanks for the great reminder to cover up when on the water!

426095e8.png

T
TTFishon
I use Banana Boat brand Sport Performance Active Dry Product. It's not greasy and it's water resistant. One application is all I need for a day of fishing and I still catch fish after getting it on my hands.

G
GDBrown
Protect the Eyes

Protect the Eyes

Don't forget to protect your eyes as well! The result of failure is Cataract surgery!:shock: After I had might I learned that the depletion of the Ozone layer in our atmosphere over the last 50 years or so has cause the rate of cataracts to skyrocket! I got most of my damage from driving into the sun every morning and every evening as I drove East to work and West home every day for 30+ years. Without sunglasses!:rolleyes:

John, I like the idea of the buff, where can I get one that doesn't look like carp scales!?:lol:

GD

J
john montana
Buffwear.com

They have a ton of patterns, not everyone can pull off the carp scale version!

I have tried the banana boat brand, but it just didn't work for me. The buff does the trick but i would say buy two...they start to smell after prolonged use!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsteel
B
Bassleg
mrlindeman said:
skin cancer is very serious and not really a fishing joke heh?

Who's making a joke? It takes a lot of money to get rid of skin cancer 75% of all skin cancers are basal cell carcinomas I know I have had it three times and I would rather spend my money fishin!!!!

Last edited:
18406ej
18406ej
Bassleg, welcome to OFF! I agree with you that skin cancer is nothing to joke about- I spent a lot of time in the sun when I was young, and consider myself fortunate that I have not ever suffered anything more than some wrinkles for the experience. Everyone needs to be aware of all of the threats that surround us as anglers: sun, water, boating accidents and etc...

And now to lighten the mood, I read yesterday that police officers in Salem responded to a report of an unconscious male. The officers and firefighters performed CPR and were able to revive the subject, who it was found had misused his prescription medicine (by smoking it) causing cardiac arrest. Being on probation for drug offenses already, this Einstein was lodged back in jail.