wd-40 on bait?????

B
Brian Dupree
has anyone ever tried wd-40 on there bait? Does it work?

S
southside_10
Brian Dupree said:
has anyone ever tried wd-40 on there bait? Does it work?

Yes, and yes.

Peace, Tom

F
FishSchooler
Bad for the environment

Bad for the environment

I would advise not to because after all, it is based on liquefied petroleum. Which is harmful to the environment, also harmful to skin. Instead of wd 40, try anise oil.

B
Bassleg
Wd-40

Wd-40

sorry

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Really...

Really...

Bassleg said:
WD-40 is made from fish oil, being that yes you can use it on your bait and it works!

Where do you get your information? I was under the impression that it was solvent based.

Chuck

A
ArcticAmoeba
You are correct Chuck, it is. Here is a GC/MS analysis, of WaterDisplacing-40 we did in a College course I took a few years back.

70% Low Aromatic White Spirits (Soddard solvent)

~20% Lubricant Base Grade (Solvent; De-waxed, Paraffinic type)

<10% Of Corrosion inhibitor/s (Some formulations use 2+ inhibitors,
normally they would only be present at low concentrations, so
it's possible that the inhibitor could be something crude like
an oil that produces a hard film with synthetic additives.)

<5% Of Wetting agent (Probably very low concentration, the other
formulation would emulsify some water which could affect the
protective film's durability and performance.)

<5% Of Fragrance.

The aerosol versions adds 25% of LPG as propellant to the above.
(Probably with less of the wetting agent to minimize foam.)

There were no fish oils found on scientific G. Mass Spectronomy equipment.

F
FishSchooler
Its not made of fish oil, its petroleum or something like that based.

1aB
I've also read/heard WD-40 contained fish oil. Thanks for the correction.

F
FishSchooler
People also say that WD 40 also breaks down in water. It actually breaks down the water.

B
BobberDown
i think you are both rite it does have fish oil and it does have somenasty cems in it do to the fact it is flamible but where i grow up it had bean used for as long as my dad was alive and that river bost some of the best natie runs of chinook and steelhead infact it is the only river in oregon use can still keep a nate to this day but i would try the smelly gelly licequid it come in some grate sence like speshal mix which is sand shrimp anise or the sand shrimp or craw anise so many to chose from i think they work better but the WD40 thing does work and has for over 50 years now
good luck luck
Dan

F
fishfreak13
I have seen people use it and it has worked successfully for them. However, I am a fisheries biologist and I approached them and explained what they were doing to their beautiful resources by using that product. They gladly stopped using the spray and thanked me for the info.

Knowledge is the power that drives conservation............

B
BobberDown
Knowledge is the power that drives conservation............[/QUOTE]

man now that is the trouth i like it so are the smely jely tyep of sence ok on the anvirement ? thanks for the info Dan

F
fishfreak13
BobberDown said:
Knowledge is the power that drives conservation............

man now that is the trouth i like it so are the smely jely tyep of sence ok on the anvirement ? thanks for the info Dan[/QUOTE]

Most scents that you find in tackle shops that are made strictly for fishing are safe to use :)

F
fishhunter28
k wd40

k wd40

from what i heard all wd40 does is take the human cent and masks it ????? dont know all i know is it does work spray your line and your lure I dont recomend it on lubericated berings I know for a fact IT WILL BREAK DOWN THE GREASE!!!!!!

H
Hawk
Lustrums ago i caught many Striped Bass by the hwy152 bridge over San Luis Res Forebay, CA. I used my Garcia Ambassadeur 6500 reel. Many times i sprayed my line with WD-40 & was able to cast out farther into the channel.

werked fer me..................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

F
FishSchooler
fishhunter28 said:
from what i heard all wd40 does is take the human cent and masks it ????? dont know all i know is it does work spray your line and your lure I dont recomend it on lubericated berings I know for a fact IT WILL BREAK DOWN THE GREASE!!!!!!

Lots of things will mask human scent. Fishing scents mask human scents. Or else they wouldn't sell. Don't use WD-40 for fishing. It will pollute since it is petroleum based. You want to be eating a fish with petroleum in it's meat?

Troutski
Troutski
Gasoline in your coffee...

Gasoline in your coffee...

This is getting quite old, WD-40 in not just a bad idea it is a horrible idea. This stuff is a carcinogen, it causes cancer; most work places carry a MSDS as part of their safety protocols - take a minute and just look it up! It doesn't attract fish, it doesn't mask the human scent...it does however pollute our water ways and kill our rivers and streams. Would you put gasoline in your coffee in the morning - please pass this on to everyone you meet and when you meet some one using it let them know how very destructive this stuff is to the environment. Thanks for allowing me to vent, I feel much better now...

Chuck

H
Hawk
wd-40 is nuttin' compared to all the pollution boat motors put into the water.

I bet any factory or company next to a watershed/waterway puts some pollution into the water.

Troutski
Troutski
Hawk said:
wd-40 is nuttin' compared to all the pollution boat motors put into the water.

I bet any factory or company next to a watershed/waterway puts some pollution into the water.

Maybe so, that doesn't mean we don't still have a choice in this little matter. Mans foot print is getting larger each day. This is just one way of reducing it one person at a time. WD-40 is noting compared to wood burning...shall we go on?
I must admit I am quite surprised at your response.

Chuck

H
Hawk
There has never been a gasoline outboard used in my basspond, only electric trolling motor.