Waterloo steelhead

O
Orgwayne
0600 This am , got my self a nice 36" steelhead male below the falls at Waterloo Park, was using a green Tony Davis Lure, Though I had a snag at first , I think we BOTH where a little surprized ! Took a 15 minutes to get him in
Wayne

M
msteuck
Monster steel at waterloo!

Monster steel at waterloo!

So this is my father's first steelhead in many years, and boy was his adrenaline gowin. I didn't think his ancient ol mitchell reel was gonna be able to handle it. But it got the job done, but i believe he may be convinced he needs a new reel! Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle brought another one to the bank and he's divided up for bbq/smoker stock. Practically no one there, we had the run of the bank for the first time. I think it's time to head for the north fork of the Santiam this weekend, so if any OFFer's are gonna be out on the river let me know. Tight lines all. 36 inch length and 18 girth, weighed about 15#

Last edited by a moderator:
F
fishinmachine
Was it a Famous Davis or a G.I.? Cool! Better get a pic to Tony for the wall.

18406ej
18406ej
I'm thinking of going to the North Fork (Packsaddle) bright and early this Saturday AM- is that anywhere near where you will be?

M
metalmania
Nice job:clap:, that's a real bruiser.

K
Kodiak
18406ej said:
I'm thinking of going to the North Fork (Packsaddle) bright and early this Saturday AM- is that anywhere near where you will be?

If you want to hit packsaddle you'll have to beat me to it!!!...I'll be nice and save you a rock E.J., if you don't mind the company!

M
msteuck
I have no idea where packsaddle is, but it sounds like the place to be if Kodiak is plannin on being there first! I myself have never fished the north fork, but am keen to check out some new water and maybe meet a few fellow OFFers.

K
Kodiak
Directions to packsaddle from lebanon..goto the pit of purgitory(scio) take a right on 226 follow to methland (Lyons)left to hwy 22, right on 22 through mill city and gates, past the rest stop, on the right hand side, can't miss it. Head upstream from the parking lot to the new deadline. Great from daylight till about 8:00 am then the fish move above the deadline and the remaining fish become, well, difficult is being polite.:shock:

M
metalmania
Kodiak said:
Directions to packsaddle from lebanon..goto the pit of purgitory(scio) take a right on 226 follow to methland (Lyons).

LMFAO somehow you always find a way to make me laugh til I about die:lol:. I too know a few towns that I have given nicknames, but there to bad to post on this site.

M
msteuck
I take it Kodiak has some pretty strong feelings about his neighboring towns? Anyway, thanks for the direction's kodiak and the ton of other info you have posted. Great site with some helpful people. It's lookin like i might just make it up there tommorrow mornin, so what is the best method for gettin some of these north fork fish? I've got corkies, jigs, spinners, and hows about bait? Eggs or coon shrimp? All info will be much appreciated!

C
catphish
nice fish. the best part about that photo is the smile on that ol' codger. Thats a happy man, super cool you helped him get onto that beast.

K
Kodiak
msteuck said:
I take it Kodiak has some pretty strong feelings about his neighboring towns? Anyway, thanks for the direction's kodiak and the ton of other info you have posted. Great site with some helpful people. It's lookin like i might just make it up there tommorrow mornin, so what is the best method for gettin some of these north fork fish? I've got corkies, jigs, spinners, and hows about bait? Eggs or coon shrimp? All info will be much appreciated!

All of the afor mentioned. I will be under mill city bridge 6:15ish in the morning. I've been drilling springers down there. Spinners and spoons have been doing well with the exception of kodiak customs, cause I said so.:lol: Also, egg imitations have been pulling a few steelies as well. As far as chinook go, eggs and prawns have been the way to go there.

18406ej
18406ej
6:15 is nothing. I plan on being there at 4, waiting for the magic hour before sunrise. Or is that being overzealous?

M
msteuck
I'll be stoppin in about 4:30 or so myself to check things out.Spent the last couple of hours tyin up some corkie/yarn rigs. Just a few weeks ago i had no idea how to tie a loop, i had my beer brewin buddy kick em out for me! I would like to see some of kodiaks spinners in action, and by the way kodiak, i'll be bringin some kodiak custom with me! Although i do plan on pickin up some of that killer lookin TCO tackle pretty quick. 2 more quick question though, should i bring my waders? and which bridge? isn't there an old train trestle and the modern bridge? Thanks for all the info, maybe we'll meet up, i'll be the guy wearin the KCFT hoodie!

M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
All of the afor mentioned. I will be under mill city bridge 6:15ish in the morning. I've been drilling springers down there. Spinners and spoons have been doing well with the exception of kodiak customs, cause I said so.:lol: Also, egg imitations have been pulling a few steelies as well. As far as chinook go, eggs and prawns have been the way to go there.

What size rod and line you using for these springers over there?

O
osmosis
both bridges there in mill city are right next to each other, your going to be below both of them. the trail is on the downstream side of the bridges.
in the bridge hole itself there isn't that good of a corkie drifting spot until you go way downstream, its a bit too deep and slow for drifting. most guys plunk bait or spinners in there and a couple old timers "mooch" herring through it.

under the bridges in the chinook water you dont need waders, however if you want to target the steelhead way down in the tailout of the hole (perfect spot for that drift gear) then you will need your waders.

a #10-20 (or anything remotely similar) in 8'6" or longer will work great down there. casting distance is not an issue as the entire hole is much less than 100 ft wide.
kodiak uses #12 Maxima mono. I've landed them on both #8 and #10 this year so it's up to you how heavy of line and how tight you want to keep your drag.

K
Kodiak
:clap
osmosis said:
both bridges there in mill city are right next to each other, your going to be below both of them. the trail is on the downstream side of the bridges.
in the bridge hole itself there isn't that good of a corkie drifting spot until you go way downstream, its a bit too deep and slow for drifting. most guys plunk bait or spinners in there and a couple old timers "mooch" herring through it.

under the bridges in the chinook water you dont need waders, however if you want to target the steelhead way down in the tailout of the hole (perfect spot for that drift gear) then you will need your waders.

a #10-20 (or anything remotely similar) in 8'6" or longer will work great down there. casting distance is not an issue as the entire hole is much less than 100 ft wide.
kodiak uses #12 Maxima mono. I've landed them on both #8 and #10 this year so it's up to you how heavy of line and how tight you want to keep your drag.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

K
Kodiak
[ by the way kodiak, i'll be bringin some kodiak custom with me!

Kodiak customs charges 4 bucks for stickers? And you guys think I charge too much!...Lmfao...omg..when they can get thier loops strait I'll quite laughing but for now :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol best tackle in the world...oh my sides hurt...:lol::lol::lol::lollol::lol:...somebody make them stop:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol

C
capblack
methland Lyons

methland Lyons

:lol:
Kodiak said:
Directions to packsaddle from lebanon..goto the pit of purgitory(scio) take a right on 226 follow to methland (Lyons)left to hwy 22, right on 22 through mill city and gates, past the rest stop, on the right hand side, can't miss it. Head upstream from the parking lot to the new deadline. Great from daylight till about 8:00 am then the fish move above the deadline and the remaining fish become, well, difficult is being polite.:shock:

If Lyons is methland, what is Mill city??:confused: the only difference between mill city and lyons is the spelling, and about 10 miles:( its kind of sad, Im glad I live 10 miles out of town, your directions made me laugh for 10 minutes:clap:

on a more serious note, maybe Ill head towards packsaddle this weekend also, we fished below there friday morning at the line hole, my buddy hooked either a steel or a nook (probably the latter, as we were fishing a deep hole with arctic prawns) but once the fish saw us, he ran, and the drag wasn't set, so needless to say, the fish is still swimming. good luck everyone, and happy fishing, Brian