Water temperature

Lerwickj

What is the ideal water temp for kokes? I've always heard 45. Was up at Detroit today with nothing. Saw quite a bit on the fish finder and pulled gear at the depth they were at but still nothing. The water temp was between 41-42

troutdude

There's a lot of cold water, entering the lake. So they are just probably feeling frozen, to death. Like the rest of us.

Did you slow, way down? I mean way, way down. No fish will expend much energy--for a meal--when they're freezing cold.

troutfisher

Fishing is still slow up there. Troutdude is correct, there is a bunch of snow melt running in the late and the fish are cold. There are fish really deep and hugging the bottom, that speaks to the fact that they are cold still.

If you head back out soon target the top of the water column. Most are reporting slow fishing but the fish that are awake are being caught are right on top.

Make sure your set back is way back there on the top lines 100+ ft minimum.

troutfisher

They are waking up now. Surface temp was about 47 Saturday. Fishing is not hot but if you put in your time they are there. 10ft to 25ft was most productive for me.

Lerwickj

Good deal thanks. We went up to Odell last weekend the fishing was tough up there. Marked quite a few but they weren't interested in anything.

Fished Odell last Sunday, water surface temp was 38. Bite finally came on. Caught 130 by 10:00. Stayed at Shelter Cove Resort. There is still 4 ft of snow but all common areas are plowed and ready for us to use. Watch for jumpers early mourning and late evening . Jigging should be good for another 6 to 8 weeks.
Remember that surface temperature is not always a good indicator of fish behavior, it could be very different at depth.

Lerwickj

Good to hear. Was there any colors that worked better than others? And was wondering if you should put corn or maggots on the jig? I've done a lot of trolling but not much jigging.

I am not a color guy. Size is much more important Imo. Right now we are targetingshallow schools with 1/2 Oz Lucky Duck Jigs. No corn necessary at this time.