Water depth below Sollie Smith?

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I've never fished below Sollie Smith before since I didn't have a motor on my DB until now. With the water level predicted below 5 ft am I in danger of bending my prop?

Thanks for your help,

Hans

T
TimberTodd
The only time I have been below was late summer. I was in my kayak and the water depth was barely enough to float through. I only went a few hundred yards below the bridge.

B
bubs
I'm sure there are other people who can give you a better answer, but from my experience trying to bank fish below Sollie, I have a couple thoughts for you:

1) People definitely drift below Sollie at 5 ft or less, I caught my first salmon there on a day when the river was around 4.8', low tide, and it was stacked with drift boats

2) I might be wrong here, but from my experience there's not much to be had in the way of steelhead fishing in the tidewater below Sollie, maybe if the river is super low and cold, but generally I'd think they're just cruising through at a clip, unlike salmon who hold there

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Thanks for the info guys. Bubs I think I'll take the Memaloose advice!

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Fished the Wilson up past 101 bridge with no luck this weekend. Ended up taking the wrong channel from Memaloose and walked the boat about 100 yards to the channel, no problem on way back because of high tide. Learned back trolling with the motor is a lot harder than it looks!

Bubs you're right, there isn't a lot of steelhead water down low. Also, was told by a guy with a sled that if water level is around 5' there's no problem motoring back up to Sollie.

B
bubs
Well, glad you made it OK. Curious - did you see anyone else fishing tidewater? I wouldn't be too surprised if people get into some fresh chrome at some of those bigger back-eddy tidewater holes every now and then when the river's low and cold.

If nothing else, good exploratory time spent for next fall chinook season! :)

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Saw one sled in the main channel near the mouth. There were several of houses along the river with people plunking. Everyone else (boats) was up by 101. Definitely a good reconisance excursion.