Washdown pump install step by step how to

S
stream2.5
over the next few days i will document a auxillary wash down pump install on a 20' alumaweld. will be including all pics and stages of installation.

all parts needed to do install, all tools, and pictures of the final product

those people that have larger boats that have multi uses, in my opinion, this is next rod holders in its importance.. as it makes clean up so much easier once done for the day...

keep an eye on this thread as it will be updated nightly

and for those wondering, this is an ABYC standard installation, so no short cuts here.

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sharing & Caring...#1

Sharing & Caring...#1

Very cool of you to share so much knowledge with fellow members. Thanks! :clap: :clap:

S
stream2.5
ok here goes... this will take a while as there are about 15 photos to upload...... but ill give you a break down of what is involved.

items you will need...

1 Washdown pump kit

( pump, coiled hose, strainer, and all the pieces to function except the through hull fitting and 3/4" hose to run from the through hull to the pump. and rom the pump to the placement of coil hose)

4 # 8 1/2" long pan head screws
4 #12 2" long pan head screws
3 # 10 taper head 3/4" long screws

14 GA wire in brown and black

#2 phillips screw driver
#3 phillips screw driver

various wire connectors
Wire striper/crimper

Drill Motor
Drill index
1" hole saw

Hose cutter or Razor Blade tool to cut Hose

section of 3/4" 100+ psi rated hose 10 ft will do most boats and layouts easily

3m 5200 Adhesive Sealant

3/4" stainless Steel through hull fitting

1 piece sand paper, any grit courser than 400 grit

6 hose clamps that fit OD of hose used

1 Box end wrench to fit through hull fitting retaining nut size varies by brand of fitting

1 6 ft section of 8 GA green bonding wire and 2 8 GA wire connectors to bond SS through hull to hull bond/ground

this about covers the basics needed for install

on to step 1

S
stream2.5
STEP 1:

TAKE INVENTORY!!!

make sure you have all tools, pieces and kit components BEFORE you start. this will save time and hasle and money later.

Step 2:

once everything is accounted for and layed out in a organized fasion remove, open or set asside any compartments that block access to inside of transom assembly to decide where the through hull below waterline will reside.

Last edited by a moderator:
S
stream2.5
as this picture shows this boat has a carpeted wall covering up the rigging under the splash well... so this all needs to come out

S
stream2.5
once removed we have a view of the transom

our hole will be placed in the void space between the oil tank and the lower engine bolt hole seen in center of the pic

S
stream2.5
using a pilot drill bit drill if possible from inside out then use 1" hole saw to make hole for through hull fitting below waterline this particular install required measuring the center of the void area from the drain plug and drilling blind from the outside.... not ideal but after measuring about 7 times it worked out

S
stream2.5
at this stage you are at the point of no return. you now have a hole in the boat... so onward and upwards... choose a fairly hidden yet fully accessable location to install the pump and filter assembly, in this case it will be on the starboard side behind the wall but reachable from the access for the battery switch. thus allowing cleanout if needed.

pump mounts to floor or bracket using the 4 # 12 2" long screws. the screws go through a vibration resistant mount to quiiet the operation.

I attached the lines on the pump for visual reference to varify no kinking of hose notice no clamps yet just slid on

S
stream2.5
now I placed the holes for the switch and the discharge hose hook up... I placed the hose discharge in the Splashwell to ensure that if the pump or switch fails with the hose disconnected and the pumps begins to operate the hull wont fill with water and sink, i have seen that happen before. so think about where you mount your hose hook up so its safe if you ever had to moore the boat for a season as this boat is durring spring and summer.

if you notice the cut out for the switch is rounded on the top, this is because the wires will be ran this way and that ensures that the wires wont contact sharp aluminum and cause a short over time.. also the fuse has been removed form this switch panel because the boat has a main breaker fuse panel under the dash and no need for a secondary protection in this application.

S
stream2.5
mount the discharge and swith panel with the #8 and #10 screws respectivly and now you can go back to installing the through hull, hoses and clamps that all will be recieving a coating of 3m5200 as a sealer in addition to the clamps and backing nut to ensure water tight seals on any fitting below the waterline.

this is where i got rained out so will continue the thread after tomarrows day at work.

S
stream2.5
i havent forgot this thread, the boat is now in medford at alumaweld getting welded on... i found a broken stringer weld that was covered under warranty. will continue in a few days

Irishrover
Irishrover
stream2.5 said:
i havent forgot this thread, the boat is now in medford at alumaweld getting welded on... i found a broken stringer weld that was covered under warranty. will continue in a few days

Not to worry, you have inspired me to get to work and replace my washdown pump. Luckly I just need to do a swap out. The boat is 21 years old and those pumps don't last forever in the salt. Here is a picture of my washdown system I used to get through the last season. It's the round white thing with a handle. The new pump sure will be nice to have.

J
joesnuffy
Irishrover said:
It's the round white thing with a handle.

Now that is a practical washdown system. :clap:

H
Hawk
Irishrover said:
Not to worry, you have inspired me to get to work and replace my washdown pump. Luckly I just need to do a swap out. The boat is 21 years old and those pumps don't last forever in the salt. Here is a picture of my washdown system I used to get through the last season. It's the round white thing with a handle. The new pump sure will be nice to have.

Those plastic buckets are Free at some of the Fast food places. Their pickle chips, etc come in them...

:lol::lol::lol:

:cool:

S
stream2.5
that system worked on this boat for 20 years... but the customer felt it was time to enter the world of extra gagets since the boat was stripped and re rigged last year and the switch panel has a few new extra spots it didn't used to have.... not shown, but seen on my website was the fact it also added hydraulic steering, 10" setback, new prop, raised engine, new kicker... ect...

for a couple hundred bucks it is a lot easier to keep the boat cleaner especially in the cold winter and spring water months as hands dont get wet.... and this boat also gets used for water sports and muddy beaches seem to be normal... so adding in ability to sprey down deck will keep things cooler and cleaner:)

Irishrover
Irishrover
"for a couple hundred bucks it is a lot easier to keep the boat cleaner especially in the cold winter and spring water months as hands dont get wet.... and this boat also gets used for water sports and muddy beaches seem to be normal... so adding in ability to sprey down deck will keep things cooler and cleaner"...........

I completely agree. I picked up a Shurflo washdown kit to replace my fried pump. Up at lake Simitutus on a hot day it provides a quick way to cool down while fishing!

S
stream2.5
Irishrover;92152 I completely agree. I picked up a Shurflo washdown kit to replace my fried pump. Up at lake Simitutus on a hot day it provides a quick way to cool down while fishing![/QUOTE said:
ever seen a black aluminum boat in 100 degree water skiing weather......

saving the potential for 3rd degree burns is worth the $$$$ itself...