Warning! theft at gun point at Hills Creek reservoir

U
usmc79
I want take a moment to share what unfortunately happened to me. I hope this may help keep others on lookout to avoid what the same sort situation. I'll try keep to the point and not ramble.

Yesterday, I got rare opportunity to go fishing,(I'm disabled vet and stay home dad, so free time is rare) I wanted scout out my old childhood fishing stomping grounds. So the obvious choice was hills creek reservoir as its only around 35 miles away and it is one of few at above 50% this year. I wanted scout out a honey hole to take my son's 3,7 and a nefew who I've been mentoring

To the incident
OK so fast forward to late evening. I started to haul my gear up to my rig.i had make 3 trips due my bad back, it was really hurting something fierce mostly due to not being able sit down as I was using 2 poles (yes I had the validation ) and made worse by the steep rocky dam face. So my first trip up I got just up to far enough to set my large tackle bag up on guard rail about a foot from my truck. Then on my second trip brought up my lunchbox and bait box I set them by the rail as well and on my last trip down I get down to water and herd vehicle pull up and herd 2 guys talking but the steepness of the dam face and the anyone size rocks made it impossible to get back up very fast. Next I know someone's messing with my gear so I yelled at them I think I said HEY then I rushed up as fast as I could and I froze when I herd the unmistakable sound of the racking of a shotgun. They kept racking it over and over it may been just few but seemed like forever so I drew my Cary gun (yes I'm lic. CCW ) I RACKED mine I wanted them know I had gun too. I was confused wtf was going on. Was I being robbed or was this some kind joke. I had already dropped my poles at that point so I scrambled up almost to the top and stepped in a hole and fell on my knee and at that point they were gone all I could do was listen to roar of their exhaust. I quickly realized they had all my fishing stuff. My main tackle bag with literally several hundred $$$ of gear and that's no exaggeration that's easily 25 years of acumiluation including a super expensive custom fillet knife that my late wife gave me before she passed. They stole my small yeti cooler that I won in kids mentorship hunting contest and they even stole my dam worms. I was confused at first like did this just happen to me. It all happened so fast allot faster than my recounting it.

Yes I know dummy me should not left my stuff sitting by my car while hauling up . ........ I honestly didn't put much thought into it.

Everyone says "you should shot them or shot a warning shot" I'm like really now I shoot them over "stuff" however that stuff mentioned allot to me and has caused me great pain. Because I know I'll never be able to replace any of it.

So looks like I'm done fishing for long time.

But that's not why I wrote this. I hope the word gets out so others don't get violated like I did.

Keep in mind I have disabled veteran plates on my rig that they were making fun of for brief moment.

Yes, I reported it but since I couldn't get a lic# or detailed description they can't do anything .

For whatever it's worth it's a huge "spider wire " brand bag and the cooler has my old usmc 3rd recon logo decal on it.

I know I'll never see it again. But I hope this helps people to watch their 6.

So bummed out I'm still in shock. Kinda wish I had shot them

Thanks for hearing me out.

(Sorry but spelling and Grammer my phone is not helping)

Usmc out

U
usmc79
If anyone notices I haven't posted nor been on here in long time because I haven't had much time to spare to fish. I just want everyone to know and have heads up!

P
PTownAngler
Wow, those dudes are scumbags. The part about them seeing your disabled vet plate makes me sick to my stomach. I have so much respect for military, this really upsets me. But if they pointed that shotgun at you then you had every right to open fire on them. It sounds like there weapon was empty though if they just kept rackin it. And anyone that tells you you should have fired a warning shot knows nothing about firearm laws. Doing that would only get you arrested for discharging a firearm. You can look it up for yourself if you want. Anyone that knows anything about firearm laws and carry tactics will tell you the same thing. I've had my CHL for 4 years i carry everyday everywhere i go no matter what. I train/strive to learn constantly and I've trained with the top firearm instructors in the nation. But I'm sorry that happened man, I hate thieves. Just be glad nobody got hurt and you didn't have to shoot someone. And who knows, OFF has a lot of good members. Maybe the dude that took your stuff is gonna try and use it and somebody will notice your bag or cooler.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Well, crap! I'm so sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, you're probably right about not getting much, if any, of it back. I would keep an eye on Craigslist with the possibility of seeing an ad for your gear. As for being upset with yourself for leaving your gear on the railing instead of inside your vehicle, the jerks would have broken your windows to get at it even with the doors locked and the alarm screaming at them. And, you are right, shooting someone over stuff just doesn't make sense, not to mention you probably would have been in more trouble than they would. Thieves are scum without a conscience and don't care how much it costs you to replace what they steal or the fact that they will only get a few dollars for their efforts. I'm glad you weren't hurt and hope you won't give up fishing. I have some extra gear I would be happy to send you if you will send me a pm with your address. I don't have fancy, expensive stuff, but you can get back on the water.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
wow, now that is an amazing first post at OFF, guess the best thing is that there were no injuries, let's hope your gear shows up on CL and gets recovered.

bass
bass
Dang, that sucks. As Roger said the silver lining is that you were not injured. Hopefully your stuff shows up on CL and the police can handle the rest for you.

U
usmc79
Raincatcher said:
Well, crap! I'm so sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, you're probably right about not getting much, if any, of it back. I would keep an eye on Craigslist with the possibility of seeing an ad for your gear. As for being upset with yourself for leaving your gear on the railing instead of inside your vehicle, the jerks would have broken your windows to get at it even with the doors locked and the alarm screaming at them. And, you are right, shooting someone over stuff just doesn't make sense, not to mention you probably would have been in more trouble than they would. Thieves are scum without a conscience and don't care how much it costs you to replace what they steal or the fact that they will only get a few dollars for their efforts. I'm glad you weren't hurt and hope you won't give up fishing. I have some extra gear I would be happy to send you if you will send me a pm with your address. I don't have fancy, expensive stuff, but you can get back on the water.

Thank you Sir! That's a very kind offer but I cannot do that. I'll be fine I just have start over. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your offer. That is really nice sir and I really appreciate it.
God bless you sir!!!!!

And yes I think I'm done fishing for while.

U
usmc79
I've been on here since 2011.

I didn't have much time the past 2 years so hadn't been active on here until this happened. I simply wanted give you all heads up if it would save another the nightmare this has caused.

I don't know why my post count had reset to zero

U
usmc79
PTownAngler said:
Wow, those dudes are scumbags. The part about them seeing your disabled vet plate makes me sick to my stomach. I have so much respect for military, this really upsets me. But if they pointed that shotgun at you then you had every right to open fire on them. It sounds like there weapon was empty though if they just kept rackin it. And anyone that tells you you should have fired a warning shot knows nothing about firearm laws. Doing that would only get you arrested for discharging a firearm. You can look it up for yourself if you want. Anyone that knows anything about firearm laws and carry tactics will tell you the same thing. I've had my CHL for 4 years i carry everyday everywhere i go no matter what. I train/strive to learn constantly and I've trained with the top firearm instructors in the nation. But I'm sorry that happened man, I hate thieves. Just be glad nobody got hurt and you didn't have to shoot someone. And who knows, OFF has a lot of good members. Maybe the dude that took your stuff is gonna try and use it and somebody will notice your bag or cooler.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Oh I never considered shooting. I was mostly in shock that this happened. I was piqued because my son's could been with me or any number of mentorships.

God bless you all

Chromatose
Chromatose
Kudos to you for taking the kids Fishing. Kudos to you for not firing a shot. Reading this brings to mind it is a good thing they were not in country!
Thank you for sharing your tale of Woe. May the next trip be more fun filled.

D
Dizle
Message me your phone number, I will gladly donate some gear to you, that is a terrible thing to happen to anyone especially a veteran
lets get you back on the water fishing again!

V
Viki
I live in Oakridge and saw this post via Facebook and shared it to a couple of Oakridge-specific Facebook pages ("Oakridge Chat Forum" and "Oakridge Crime Page"). So the word is out locally to keep an eye out for your stuff and your guys.

This is one of the comments: "Bro, send me info and description of stuff to my email gunnyofd@gmail.com I live on Oakridge and will look around".

I also printed it and gave it to "Bert's Fish N Stuff" to hang in his store.

I hope it helps.

Last edited:
U
usmc79
Sorry, my cable and Internet got shut off (I'm sure you no how it is just trying get by, so be patient with my responses)

Thanks, so much. I'll check them out problem tomorrow when I go closer to good signal. AT&T dead zone here where I live. But I will post ASAP what was in my bag that might set it apart. For one it had my license in it. Justin C. Address on lic is 33535 H..... road, eugene.

It was fancy spider wire soft bag with 3 Hard plastic clamshell clear organizer box thingy joggers stuffed full of allot new unopened packaged it had a cablas shopping bag with at least 100 bucks worth new stuff I had laying around my reloading room that I tossed in plus large organizer of heavy beadz and trout beads w/special tool that looks like a exact knife with needle end with a lot special bands. Plus it had prob 15 jars most unopened power bait and power eggs plus a new folding net that cost me fortune it fold small enough to pack away yet really stout. Their is a s.o.g knife in top in belt holster.
Oh and side pouch it had chartreuse and pink marshmallows in plastic jars. Their was pair fancy pliers in front specially made for me by a guy that makes the fir disabled vets engraved "semper fi" I know sounds silly but mentioned allot to me. Plus gobs more stuff I can't remember. Oh their was fillet knife engraved given by same guy.

Thanks so much for taking such interest. I know I'm just some stranger so it means allot to me way more than any of you guys/gals kknow.

My intention was just give shout out so people would be cautious to avoid it happening to anyone else. Hell, I grew up fishing hunting out their. That kinda stuff happens out fall creek or cougar not good ol hills creek. I'll probably think twice going back or at least have my guard up more. I'm usually always at the ready.

A real nice senior state trooper/warden contacted me so they know sorta who look for however vague. I wish I could gotten license plate number.

Again thank you so much. And thank you all for the kindness.

U
usmc79
I sent him email. I'll check those fb groups next time I can get in town probably later tonight or in am

Thank you everyone for your concern,respect and thoughts. It really does renew my faith in humanity :thumb:

J
JeannaJigs
Awful. I had thousands in gear stolen from my vehicle a couple of years ago before a springer trip and it was the worst feeling ever, without having a gun pulled on me. They obviously saw the disabled vet plate and thought it would be an easy mark. Disgusting. I'm sorry that happened to you, but glad you didn't have kids with you and played it smart

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

U
usmc79
JeannaJigs said:
Awful. I had thousands in gear stolen from my vehicle a couple of years ago before a springer trip and it was the worst feeling ever, without having a gun pulled on me. They obviously saw the disabled vet plate and thought it would be an easy mark. Disgusting. I'm sorry that happened to you, but glad you didn't have kids with you and played it smart.

Someday I am going save up for pontoon boat so I can really get into the fish like all you pros out their. Getting harder and harder for me bank fish due to my back injuries. So I'm probably going to keep mentoring with fishing but probably not fish anymore by myself till I can save up for obe those sit on top pontoon boats. However I'm pretty solid guy frame wise not even sure if they make them for guys like me. So till then I'm hanging up my boonie hat and I'd say fishing pole but my beloved fleuiger "president" got jacked too (I had that pole for close 7 years my wife bought it for me when they came out I think, she paid 100.00 bucks which for us was allot. BUT DAMM BEST POLE REEL STORE BOUGHT COMBO ON MARKET, caught a steelie on it last year up at Leaburg. Yes I released it "

Lastly, let's all pray for tho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Jeannajigs sorry took so long get back. My Internet is back on my farm of sorts.

Wow that would upset me. Did you ever find the bastards. I ended up being contacted by real nice sheriff warden senior deputy real nice guy took my info and statement if/when it happens again. I pray it don't . I got feeling they were strung out by the way they were talking waving around shotgun. Anyway, I hadn't been on here in few years I forgot how many nice people were on here. Thank you and everyone who has shown genuine kindness and concern.

I also want thank the handful of great people who had so much kindness in their hearts to offer to help me out. It really met so much. Please because I didn't take anyone up on it really don't think I am jerk. I just am kinda old school and feel bad but taking stuff that I wasn't able pay for. However it is anyone that I'm going have pay for things twice. Not to mention the sentimental stuff I had in their from my wife to my great uncle who was my childhood mentor the whole driving force and reason I mentor now. Anyway I want thank everyone for the kindness and genorocity that was shown.

On side note let's all pray for the fallen and their family's from the recent tragedies. May God be we with them.

Semper fi !