Wanting to try out salmon/steelhead fishing need help.

F
Fishpdx
So I love fishing for carp and ocean fishing like for lincod and rockfish but carp fishing usually ends in october and I have to wait till spring to go fishing. For ocean fishing its a 2 hour drive from portland so can't always go there. So I want to try out some salmon/steelhead fishing I live in clackamas and very close to clackamas/willamette river and always see people catching steelhead/salmon but never had the rod/reels and equipment for it. usually use trout rod for carp because it's fun. So I need advice on what kind of rod/reel should I get for the money looking for something not bigger than 30lbs fish. Also I have couple floats and spinners any advice on spinners/spools/rigs/eggs/plunking/jigs just anything I need to know , places,seasons,where and what kind of fish. I see lots of people posting their salmon catches and and thinking of catching some myself.

C
coyo7e
What kind of rod and reel and line are you currently packing? It sounds as though you probably are just a few mepps and blue foxes away from being on the money, or learning to tie an egg loop and drift. :)

F
Fishpdx
coyo7e said:
What kind of rod and reel and line are you currently packing? It sounds as though you probably are just a few mepps and blue foxes away from being on the money, or learning to tie an egg loop and drift. :)

I was thinking of spinning rod/reel but I don't know what would be better casting or spinning . I'm going to be fishing from shore because I don't have a boat. And thinking of getting like 20-30 lbs braid and I don't know what size of mono should I use for leader. Also what sizes and color of blue foxes are best ? And do you just tie them directly or drift them. I know how to tie egg loop and drift fish it but no idea what is more productive ? Drift fishing,float fishing,spinners/spools.

F
Fishpdx
Also I was thinking of price range $200 for rod,reel setup. Is that enough? Or is it more expensive because I browsed through some sites and they have salmon setup for like $50 but I'm thinking they are cheap and most likely to break. Others have for like 400 just rod

S
sapo
I'm not an expert on specific brands or reels, but I have used other people's multi-hundred dollar rods along with my 25 dollar rod, and have experienced no difference. I'm sure there is a difference when fighting the fish, etc. but what I'm saying is you don't need to go all out to get a good setup. 200 should do u just fine

T
TimberTodd
Carp said:
Also I was thinking of price range $200 for rod,reel setup. Is that enough? Or is it more expensive because I browsed through some sites and they have salmon setup for like $50 but I'm thinking they are cheap and most likely to break. Others have for like 400 just rod
Fishermans has the Okuma SST rods on sale for $69.00. Its a good rod. When it comes to baitcaster or spinning reel, the ultimate decision is what you are comfortable using. Some folks cannot get use to casting a baitcaster and wind up getting frustrated with birdsnests. Invest in a reel with a GOOD drag what ever you do. In regards to drift fishing, spinners,etc. it depends on you location and water conditions. All are very productive in the right circumstances. When it comes to spinners for steelhead, I mostly use silver and brass Bluefoxes in sizes 3 and 4. 20lb braid is great for steelhead, but you will probably want heavier for chinook. Also heavier mono leader for chinook. I use 8 and 10 lb mono for steelhead.

D
DirectDrive
Carp said:
So I love fishing for carp and ocean fishing like for lincod and rockfish but carp fishing usually ends in october and I have to wait till spring to go fishing. For ocean fishing its a 2 hour drive from portland so can't always go there. So I want to try out some salmon/steelhead fishing I live in clackamas and very close to clackamas/willamette river and always see people catching steelhead/salmon but never had the rod/reels and equipment for it. usually use trout rod for carp because it's fun. So I need advice on what kind of rod/reel should I get for the money looking for something not bigger than 30lbs fish. Also I have couple floats and spinners any advice on spinners/spools/rigs/eggs/plunking/jigs just anything I need to know , places,seasons,where and what kind of fish. I see lots of people posting their salmon catches and and thinking of catching some myself.
This is kind of a tough question.
Sounds like you want to be active as opposed to sitting and plunking ?

If correct, then there are 3 very different "disciplines" in the gear fishing arena...

1) Driftfishing
This is how I learned and offerings are usually one or more of the following :
Corky
Yarn
Eggs
Sand shrimp
This method will frustrate many beginners because bottom bounce and fish bite can feel similar.
If you can get good at it, sticking a fish this way is very rewarding.

2) Hardware
Spoons or spinners
I do this virtually all season long on the Deschutes.
It is very effective and the strikes can be violent.

3) Float and jig
Very effective and probably the easiest way to get your first steelhead.
I am deeply ingrained with the previous two methods and can't stand watching a float bee-bop downstream.

Go to areas that you think you would like to fish and watch what the successful anglers are doing.
I would't buy until I had an idea of how I want to fish.

I prefer a levelwind and a 9'-6" stick for most of what I do.
Diehard float/jig guys like even longer rods and often a spinning reel.

F
Fishpdx
Well the Okuma seems like a good rod, so Im thinking of getting the okuma sst spinning rod salmon/steelhead med/heavy 9' and a Shimano Sedona 4000fd reel? Let me know if the reel is good?

F
Fishpdx
I got a couple of these spinners and i heard they are good for salmon. how would I fish them? just attach to main line or use it as drift fishing? Going to get some bluefox vibrax spinners and just wondering if these would work too.

• mulkeys-guide-flash-spinner.jpg
T
TimberTodd
If your targeting tidewater, cast it out, let it settle some in the water and retrieve. You may need to add some weight above to get it to sink. Try letting it settle to different depths before retrieving.

D
DirectDrive
Carp said:
Well the Okuma seems like a good rod, so Im thinking of getting the okuma sst spinning rod salmon/steelhead med/heavy 9' and a Shimano Sedona 4000fd reel? Let me know if the reel is good?
You will find the 4000 size to be a little big for steelhead.
OK for salmon if you like spinning reels.
Most salmon fisherman in the PNW use levelwind reels because the drag is superior for fighting heavy fish.
Imagine the line rolling straight off of the revolving spool of the levelwind.
Now imagine the line coming off a spinning where it has to make a 90 degree turn off the spool.
It's also easy and intuitive to apply thumb pressure to the levelwind spool to supplement the drag.
Not so much with the spinning reel.

So, consider a spinning reel (if you must) for steelhead and a levelwind for salmon.
And remember, there is no salmon/steelhead combo anything and if you try to buy something like that, it will end up collecting dust in a closet after you figure it out.
Don't ask me how I know.

D
DirectDrive
Carp said:
I got a couple of these spinners and i heard they are good for salmon. how would I fish them? just attach to main line or use it as drift fishing? Going to get some bluefox vibrax spinners and just wondering if these would work too.
This is a trolling spinner designed by Terry Mulkey...Oregon fishing guide and Fisherman's Marine employee (Oregon City).
They can be cast from the bank but it would be very clunky because you would have to add weight.
Spinners designed to be cast from the bank are usually "weighted spinners".
With these you tie direct to the spinner...I use a Rosco USA Interlock snap swivel, then my homemade French Blade spinner.

With all the weight built into the spinner, you don't have the clunky hinge effect that an added weight will cause.
An added weight will also dampen spinner blade feedback to the rod tip.
And it's all about maintaining spinner blade RPM....so you have to be able to read it on your rod tip.

When you figure out what that means and how to do it, you will be catching fish.

Easiest store-bought spinner to learn on (for steelhead) is the Panther Martin 1/2 oz size (for normal size steelhead rivers like the Clack or Sandy).
This is the "inline" type blade and it's much easier to run and read than the French (Blue Fox, for example).
It will also cut into deeper slots better, but you have to be careful and keep it lit in shallow water or you will donate.

Learn what that ideal "thump" looks like on your rod tip and maintain it.
Don't just cast out and let it tumble.....you are operating a device, so reel in slowly....just enough to maintain that "thump" on your rod tip.
Depending on current, sometimes it will run without taking in line and sometimes you have to take the reel out of gear to maintain thump.
I use a direct drive reel so I'm constantly maintaining thump and reacting instantly to current speed/depth.

Last edited:
F
Fishpdx
TimberTodd said:
Fishermans has the Okuma SST rods on sale for $69.00. Its a good rod. When it comes to baitcaster or spinning reel, the ultimate decision is what you are comfortable using. Some folks cannot get use to casting a baitcaster and wind up getting frustrated with birdsnests. Invest in a reel with a GOOD drag what ever you do. In regards to drift fishing, spinners,etc. it depends on you location and water conditions. All are very productive in the right circumstances. When it comes to spinners for steelhead, I mostly use silver and brass Bluefoxes in sizes 3 and 4. 20lb braid is great for steelhead, but you will probably want heavier for chinook. Also heavier mono leader for chinook. I use 8 and 10 lb mono for steelhead.

Well I ended up getting a okuma sst casting rod for salmon 9"0 Medium-High action 15-50lb 1-6 oz rod and a Daiwa Lexa 300h baitcaster with 22lb max drag. Also bought a #4 blue metallic vibrax blue fox spinner and 30lb braid from suffix 150 yards. Ended up paying $220 for everything, reel was 130 , rod was 70 , and line was 17 and spinner was like 3. I'm thinking it will be fine. Now I just need to get out on water and start fishing.

T
TimberTodd
Go take the skunk off that thing tomorrow. Sounds like you are set.

M
montym
Carp said:
WAlso bought a #4 blue metallic vibrax blue fox spinner

I'd suggest take a few more spinners, snags and break-offs happen. Sometimes, the color also makes a difference apparently.

F
Fishpdx
Yea I loose spinners sometimes but I have different ones at home , just need to take a look at them and decide which to use. Also Do you guys tie the blue fox directly to spinner or should attach some mono to braid. would the fish get frightened of #30 pound braid?

D
DirectDrive
Carp said:
Yea I loose spinners sometimes but I have different ones at home , just need to take a look at them and decide which to use. Also Do you guys tie the blue fox directly to spinner or should attach some mono to braid. would the fish get frightened of #30 pound braid?
Not a braid fan, but some like a "top shot" of mono for shock absorption and possibly a little stealth.
Keep in mind that a swinging spinner presentation is fast and in yo face.....no time for lookers and nibblers...it gets attacked.

I use hi-vis chartreuse mono for swinging brass...."by the time they see it, they're ridin' it."
Book it.

On the wicked high advertised drag values....boo chit.
This started with the "Revo Craze".
It's a fact that the bigger the number, the better the sales.
Top reel gurus like Alan Tani have proven these claims false.

In reality for our fishing, 8 pounds of drag setting is a lot drag.
Try picking up a 22 pound bag of lead with your new rod and reel....no, don't do it.
Sales gimmickery at its finest.

T
troutmasta
Wow! lots of golden advice- Thanks guys for helping out a newcomer!

OFF rocks!