Wanting to catch some salmon

C
cj10488
Anyone have any open seats for either Monday or Tuesday or even an open spot with them on the bank. I am wanting to get into some fish. Its been a very slow year for me as I have only caught 1 nook and 1 steel and its getting frustrating. Anyone feel like having an extra person tag along with them?

I am in the Newberg area but can drive and meet up just about where ever.

Thanks again,
James

Last edited:
C
cj10488
Anyone for Wednesday???

James

C
cj10488
Bump. Anyone wanting to show me the ropes any day next week. Preferrable Monday but any day works.

Thanks in Advance

R
Rascal
well a tough crowd hope you find some one

C
chrisohm
Same here

Same here

cj10488 said:
Anyone have any open seats for either Monday or Tuesday or even an open spot with them on the bank. I am wanting to get into some fish. Its been a very slow year for me as I have only caught 1 nook and 1 steel and its getting frustrating. Anyone feel like having an extra person tag along with them?

I am in the Newberg area but can drive and meet up just about where ever.

Thanks again,
James

I have that same problem. I have just about all I need to get some salmon but alas, I have no one to show me a thing or two. I have had offers but when I call them on it, nothin'. The hard part is I get my son on the weekends and it isn't easy to get a pig on when your 5 yo is throwing rocks in the water...I think it is time to just Rambo through it! Also, I don't have money to a pay a guide who would take me on a boat to a river I probably won't fish again because I don't have a boat. Great idea but lacks in forethought.

M
master-baiter
If I didn't have to be out of town this weekend for work I'd invite you over and rent a boat. Always nice to have some company anyways. Ill keep it in mind depending on how the run is in 2 weeks.

C
cj10488
Thanks Guys. I ended up heading over to the Sandy on Monday and got nothing. Water seemed pretty decent but only saw 2 fish caught. Ended up fishing the garbage hole, Dodge park and Oxbow all day. At Oxbow there was 2 fish caught shortly before I got there.

Would be nice for someone to show me the ropes.

Thanks again,
James

B
beaverfan
The only way to learn to fish is to get out there and do it. When you see someone catch a fish take note and watch what he's doin/using. What methods are you guys wanting to learn? There are literally dozens of methods that catch fish, pick one and research how to do it. There's a ton of info on this website on how to target salmon/steelhead. To become a decent salmon fisherman takes time, to become a good salmon fisherman takes years. Try picking a spot and posting in that section that your going there and see if anyone else is going. There have been several threads recently by people looking for people to meet up with.

G
GMR
Im going to Oxbow in the morning.. Going to explore some of other other areas of the park.
Mainly downriver from the Boatramp. Try some new spinners out.
Your welcome to join.

S
SmallStreams
My fishing buddy 'accidentally' caught a coho yesterday in the Necanicum. We were trying for searun cutthroat. Gee, same technique applies!

It was kind of funny because I'd sent him after a good-sized fish (for a searun) that surfaced on the far edge of the pool just as I was packing up. Not paying attention while he cast his spinner to the spot, he hooked immediately hooked up with it. Then a big fish jumped 10 feet to the right of his cast... it took me a little bit to finally realize that the fish he was battling was the one that came out of the water!

He got it in to shore, I rolled it on its side in the water and then realized we weren't looking at a cutthroat. Oops, lucky little 4 lb coho has to be released! Nice release, no scales lost. Sadly we didn't have a camera.

So as far as I can tell, the secret to salmon fishing is to find fish and cast spinners to them :rolleyes:

T
The Nothing
you think one chinook and one steelhead is frustraiting? some have worked harder for less...

S
Slash
i agree completely. 0 caught and 0 landed for this year. Seen to many rolling and caught, but nothing. :wall:

C
chrisohm
I almost had my first coho on friday 10/1. I was learning the ropes with spinners but retarded me had my drag set wrong. Before I could fix it the fish was gone. Hopefully this friday will be different!

A
annemorrison37
it's my first time here. I love to catch fishes and salmon are my next target. Great to be part of this discussion. ;) Good day to all.

S
Slash
Welcome!

C
cj10488
Well I am headed to the Sandy tomorrow morning. Anyone is welcome to join. Probably gonna head to Oxbow or the garbage hole.

James

A
annemorrison37
Good luck James and please catch more fish (lol). Just tell us the story after.. Bring with you a camera and post pictures. Sorry I can't make it. Hoping to see you there the next time maybe.

B
bigdog
cj10488 said:
Well I am headed to the Sandy tomorrow morning. Anyone is welcome to join. Probably gonna head to Oxbow or the garbage hole.

James

If you are heading to the sandy then I would say head high. Garbage hole and the area in there would be a good place. There are plenty of fish in that river right now al through out the river. Try tossing some eggs at them get your eggs about 6" to 1' OFF of the bottom of the river. If you want to run spinners you need to let it sink down some before you start reeling it back in and don't reel fast, reel just fast enough to get the blade to turn. Don't stand in one spot of the hole you choose to be in, work the whole hole from top to bottom and bank to bank.

What ever you do don't give up always keep trying. Keep putting your time in on the water and you WILL get in to fish.

CJ

S
Slash
bigdog said:
If you are heading to the sandy then I would say head high. Garbage hole and the area in there would be a good place. There are plenty of fish in that river right now al through out the river. Try tossing some eggs at them get your eggs about 6" to 1' OFF of the bottom of the river. If you want to run spinners you need to let it sink down some before you start reeling it back in and don't reel fast, reel just fast enough to get the blade to turn. Don't stand in one spot of the hole you choose to be in, work the whole hole from top to bottom and bank to bank.

What ever you do don't give up always keep trying. Keep putting your time in on the water and you WILL get in to fish.

CJ

Now thats what i call info. :clap: thx BD

C
cj10488
Well I went out today and had absolutely no luck. Fished Oxbow, garbage hole and checked out Cedar creek. Talk about a bunch of %$#%#$ snaggers out there.. I walked down and nothing but snaggers all over the place. Got pissed and ended up turning around and heading right back home. Snaggers **** me off so bad.

didn't see any fish caught today at any of the places I was at. Head of a driftboat right by where I was at oxbow landed 1 and lost 2 but I didn't see any of that happen. I tossed everything from Eggs, Spinners and Wobblers. Everything in the box was tossed at them and nadda.

James