Wanted used spey rod

Aervax

I am looking for a used 2-handed, 8 weight spey rod. Length and action are flexible. Although, I am not interested in a switch rod for this particular size, or buy. That will come later. I am considering prices up to $400; though depending on brand, age and condition a minimum of 50% off retail is my threshold for a used rod. If that value is not doable in used equipment I will buy new. I am open to adding to total price for reel, lines and so on if you prefer to sell a complete package. I have quite a bit of that end of stuff in my box all ready, so it is a consideration without being a necessity. Tight lines of all types my friends. Eric

Aervax

I bought a TFO Deer Creek Spey 8/9 weight, 13'6" new and still in the box for $249 from Sierra Trading. Retail is $469. I think it was discontinued in 2017. It will be for smallmouth bass, so a tougher than most intermediate rod feels like a good fit.

Bake

I would call the TFO DC Spey 8/9 13'6'' a more heavy, than intermediate. 30lb backing, 35 or 45lb shooting line, 575 to 600 gr. Skagit head, 10' Med. Mow Tip, and 4' of 12lb mono., and you got a rig for anything, from Northern California to Alaska.

Last edited:

Aervax

Thank you so much for the input. I am new to Spey, this is my first rod. Are you an experienced two hand angler?

Agreed that this one will be heavy duty. I picked up on the reviews that this would be a heavy duty work horse rod. I am hard on equipment in general, so also going with heavier than usual construction found in the TFO Deer Creek appeals to me even though I was reading it is heavier than similar line size rods.

My 2 sage 6 weights and loomis 4 weight are all broken at the moment. By intermediate I meant neither entry level, nor fancy pants and over priced. High tech super light rods are sensitive and sweet, but they are also hyper delicate and expensive. That doesn't suit my bushwhacking boulder climbing fly fishing style well, as evidenced by my best rods being broken.

In my mid 50s now. I seem to fall more often and harder when it happens these days. Though I take less risk overall it is probably time to rein it in a couple more notches. It will save on rod replacement cost, too. Haha

Bake

At 75, with both shoulders being redone three years ago, I cast everything with two hands. Spin, bait cast, and fly. When moving from the car to the water, I pack everything in my old ALICE hanging over one shoulder. When I feel I am starting to go over and taking a short cut down the bank, I'll throw the pack away from me. I also try to have the rod in a tube, to throw. No rod can take someone falling and landing on it...(well maybe 120 lb deep sea rig, built like a Pool Que)

Aervax

Thank you for suggesting that set up, "30lb backing, 35 or 45lb shooting line, 575 to 600 gr. Skagit head, 10' Med. Mow Tip, and 4' of 12lb mono." I should have the rod in hand tomorrow. Spey set up is new to me. Looks more complicated than the regular old 6 weight nymphing rig. Researching the on line forums for ideas. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Aervax

Strange thing happened to my order. I was having a bit of buyers remorse feeling like I'd gone too big on this 8/9 weight spey rod. Feeling like a 5/6, or 6/7 would be better size for Columbia River bass. My order arrived and the rod that came is the 6/7 two handed Spey. I double checked the email confirmation and sure enough, that is what is on the email. Luck is with me, buyer error in my favor for a change. Must not have been wearing my glasses when I completed the order.

@Bake what backing, line, head, tip, leader setup do you like for a 6/7, 13'0" two handed Spey, TFO Deer Creek?

I am a noob to Spey, so all of you please share your ideas and experience.

Thank you in advance for helping out.

Bake

Starting out with Spey can be confusing. I assume you will be "Swing".

For Skagit (Heavy Fly) I would start with 475 grs. head with Light Mow tips, 35lb shooting line, and a 4' mono leader/tippet.

For Sandi (Light Fly) I would go with 435 grs. head and a 9' taped lead (0X) w/ tippet ring with about 2' of 6 or 8lb of mono.

35 lb shooting line, and 30 lb backing, will work fine with any combination under 600 grs.

Everything I have given you are just WAGS. A year from now you will think what the "HELL was he thinking"!!!

Aervax

Starting out with Spey can be confusing. I assume you will be "Swing".

For Skagit (Heavy Fly) I would start with 475 grs. head with Light Mow tips, 35lb shooting line, and a 4' mono leader/tippet.

For Sandi (Light Fly) I would go with 435 grs. head and a 9' taped lead (0X) w/ tippet ring with about 2' of 6 or 8lb of mono.

35 lb shooting line, and 30 lb backing, will work fine with any combination under 600 grs.

Everything I have given you are just WAGS. A year from now you will think what the "HELL was he thinking"!!!
That is totally okay by me. Your best guess is going to be based on way more knowledge and experience than mine. There is also always that question of individual technique and uniqueness specific to each manufacturers rod size and construction. Before buying $150 of line I will talk to the guys running the local fly shops too. The rod arrived yesterday. I am going to try to get it set up over the weekend. Casting practice starts on Monday.

Aervax

Along these same lines, I want to strip streamers for Bull Trout on Billy Chinook in midsummer. I will need to be at around 60 feet in depth to reach the bigger Bulls that time of year. Just starting to mull over how to get the fly down there. Is there a developed spey set up for that, or am I confined to my regular rods for that game?

Bake

That is totally okay by me. Your best guess is going to be based on way more knowledge and experience than mine. There is also always that question of individual technique and uniqueness specific to each manufacturers rod size and construction. Before buying $150 of line I will talk to the guys running the local fly shops too. The rod arrived yesterday. I am going to try to get it set up over the weekend. Casting practice starts on Monday.
Local knowledge always trumps internet WAGS...

Bake

I have always tried to borrow the Head from a buddy (I want to try) first. I keep extras and loaners in the "Mothership" (Truck) for this purpose. Keep an eye out for Fly Shop Demos (Manuf. Reps) and Sales. Given a choice, as a novice, I would pick Heads that are on the heavy side. I would go with the Band Name shooting lines first and switch to Berkley Big Cat or Big Game 30 or 40 lb mono after a year or so. As far as backing goes, I picked the 30 lb Orange, because I really like the color (LOL), and forget about it.

Aervax

Got it. Our gorge TFO rep happens to be the RIO guy, too. I lucked out on that. Just found out. I will start with his initial recommendation for a basic setup. I will borrow or buy your line ideas when I can find them used or on clearance. It feels like I am starting over again on the while fly fishing addiction.

Bake

Aervax,

What did you finally decide on? Skagit or Sandi, I assume Rio, but Airflo & SA are good. I just want to bring my notebook up to date. You are going to get your own page. No pressure.