Want to try for stripe bass out at Winchester?

CARPCOMMANDER

I would like to try for stripe bass out at winchester or up the umpqua? What time of year does the run start? What bait or lures do you guys use? And boat or bank? Thanks guys I apreciate it

O. mykiss

Very tight lipped fishery. My friend and I tried from the bank on the smith several times. We hooked two, both took an unbelievable amount of line VERY quickly before either breaking off or coming unhooked. We were fishing chicken liver and herring on the bottom. It’s a nighttime fishery and a boat is almost a necessity. Follow sounds of fish blowing up on baitfish and throw BIG rapalas at them.

CARPCOMMANDER

Just chunkin chicke
Very tight lipped fishery. My friend and I tried from the bank on the smith several times. We hooked two, both took an unbelievable amount of line VERY quickly before either breaking off or coming unhooked. We were fishing chicken liver and herring on the bottom. It’s a nighttime fishery and a boat is almost a necessity. Follow sounds of fish blowing up on baitfish and throw BIG rapalas at them.
Just chunking them and letting sit on the bottom? Kinda like surf fishing for them?

plumbertom

Don't know about the Winchester area bite but,
For bait fishing whether shorebound or on the water, I've always found sardine fillets to work well. Chicken livers are also a good bait. If fact it seems any bloody bait works for them.
As mentioned big Rapalas work but after sundown I"ve always done better with splash baits like Zara spooks or pencil poppers.Dark colors like black and silver at night.
My go to rig for trolling stripers is an umbrella rig with 3'' or 4'' sassy shad either sardine or pearl white, rigged two opposite with hooks two as just teasers and the center on an 18'' leader ad a trailer. My ites have almost always came on the trailing lure as it looks to be slower and possibly easier to catch, I suppose.