want to get a bass

bigsteel
i was wondering what would be good lures or jigs for bass or should i go with bait....i have never bass fished but this is my year to get one....

colbypearson
what species of bass smallmouth or largemouth??

bigsteel
im thinkin largemouth

colbypearson
smallmouth would be a little simpler this time of year but ok do you have any idea on temperature where your going?

bigsteel
i would go for smallmouth too,,,,,i am thinkin th willamette river or molalla river,,maybe some of the ponds like st louis ponds

colbypearson
ummm depending on the water if its oer 40 degrees i would go there--tubes-jigs-shakeyheads are a few go to winter baits depending on where the fish are holding at, senko's are a good search bait to find the depth the fish are at

:D

bigsteel
thanks bro,,,,ill have to grab some bass tackle:D

kcm
I'd hold off awhile yet for lm bass fishing in the mid valley, especially in ponds. When the water temps hit the mid-50's it's a good time to catch a big pre-spawn female. It's often mid to late March in the Salem area, weather permitting.... Cold, wet weather screws it up, several days of warm sunny weather turns the bass on.

I like reaction baits for pre-spawn, spinnerbaits or a T-rigged plastic worm. They usually take the bait as soon as it hits the water or within the first few cranks of the reel.

bigsteel
thanks kcm,,,,ive seen those ponds right by john neal park,,,do those hold bass?

kcm
They do. They're not good ponds for numbers of bass (the bite is usually very slow), but they hold some big ones.
100_1438.jpg

Throbbit _Shane
Sweet lookin bass dude!! Im gonna start fishing for bass this year too. In the past if i caught one it was on accident lol.

colbypearson
kcm said:
They do. They're not good ponds for numbers of bass (the bite is usually very slow), but they hold some big ones.
100_1438.jpg

beauty what did she go on the scale ?

kcm
I didn't have a scale with me colby, but she was 24" long and 18" girth.

colbypearson
nice pig man thats awesome

Hawk
She is a Reel Beauty BRO. Great Job.

:D:D:D

:clap::clap::clap:

:cool::cool:

Hawk
bigsteel said:
i was wondering what would be good lures or jigs for bass or should i go with bait....i have never bass fished but this is my year to get one....

In the Spring i've caught (c&r) bass using Rapala or Rebel diving & shallow diving lures with features like a baby bass, perch, bluegill, trout, shad, etc.

Good Luck BRO.

:D:D:D

:cool:

TTFishon
kcm said:
I didn't have a scale with me colby, but she was 24" long and 18" girth.

I'd say around nine pounds then. My 8lb 9 oz bass was 23" long and 17 3/4 " girth.

1bigfish
bigsteel said:

I can take you out and get you into some bass.

PM sent

kcm
I think it could work anywhere, it reminds me of an old-time technique where people in rowboats used topwaters on long (10ft. plus) cane poles with short lines.
Using a buzzbait looks like way too much work to me though.

AnglerWise.com
kcm said:
I think it could work anywhere, it reminds me of an old-time technique where people in rowboats used topwaters on long (10ft. plus) cane poles with short lines.
Using a buzzbait looks like way too much work to me though.

It's not work, It's fun catching fish! lol

Top Bottom