Want to find info on fishing the surf

M
m67clayton
Im interested in learning how to fish the coast line. Ive never done it. What kind of bait is needed? Do i need special liscenses? How can I find or learn techniques and rigs? If anyone could give some advise I would very much be thankfull.

N
nwkiller
u do need a liscense. sand shrimp kills it, just rig up with a slide weight with a 20" leader with a size 4 hook, find some jettie rocks, toss out your bait.......becarefull of the ocean

M
m67clayton
Thanks for the info nwkiller

N
nwkiller
it is a slot simpler than it seams u really just have to learn to read the tides, incoming tides are really good!

B
brandon
would a 10ft rod be overkill for a jetty?...i was thinking about using a 7ft med action with 8-12lb test braid..:think:

M
m67clayton
No it is not overkill thats what we use and landed a 20 pound cod and lots of greenlins. we used 60# braided

B
brandon
thanks for the advide!....the last time on the s. newport jetty my 10ft rod kinda acted like a crutch to help me get over the huge boulders!...guess i will keep using it :think: wish it was more sensitive....definatly got to get rid of my 20lb cajun "red" line...i think its scares the fish...mabey spider wire! :D