Walton road update

OneFishTwoFish

For the last day of this Fall, I attempted the drive up to Walton; about 2-4 miles up the road is extremely icy to the point I just turned around because the road is that slick(and no co-pilot with me today). Fished Ochoco by the dam for a few hours but no bites. Other group had no fish either. Will probably attempt Haystack tomorrow

Irishrover

Most Featured
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have someone who fishes that area. I used to have a place south of Culver and fished Haystack, Lower Bridge and other spots over there. Good luck over at Haystack.

Walton is a great little lake. Used to take my 9' pontoon boat over there and fly fish. Last month I went over to do some elk hunting north of John Day. When we went by Ochoco the water level was really low. Has it come up much at all?

OneFishTwoFish

Thanks! Its good to be closer to home. Ochoco is incredibly low and I probably wont revisit for another few weeks..Haystack was a bust as well but honestly I fished late afternoon and for maybe an hour.. One guy in a kayak had a hit near the boat ramp but didnt land

I've had excellent luck at Walton, Haystack, Antelope, in the past but only recently started fishing the Deschutes and now totally obsessed in hopes to pull a steelhead out someday. Given how girthy the rainbows are, the steelhead should be toads!

I've been thinking about hitting the Deschutes Arm of Billy Chinook(never fished it before) but undecided if its worth the effort this time of the year, and with only a kayak..

Irishrover

Most Featured
Below Bowman Dam on the Crooked was a place I spent time fly fishing. It was a always a nice trip even if the fishing was not so hot. I've fished Antelope Flats Reservoir but it has been a few years. There sure are a lot of different places to fish over there. The Deschutes arm I've only fished in warmer weather.

OneFishTwoFish

The Crooked sure is a phenomenal trout fishery. I've had success this summer with various spinners and dry-fly, but my winter nymphing needs work!

Irishrover

Most Featured
For nymphing I would wade out in the river and cast back toward shore. Those fish liked to hold by the cut banks. Lower Bridge was also good for the fly rod. There were some nice browns down there.

OneFishTwoFish

Thanks Irishrover,

Hit the Crooked today at Palisades; had a nice rainbow hit a #16 pink scud. Very light hits on the (limited) number of midges in my arsenal. Quite a few people fishing, most were catching fish, especially Whitefish, however I caught none.

If the weather plays nice, I will try Lower Bridge this weekend.

for ads free experience.

Top Bottom