Walter Wirth - quickie report

troutdude
troutdude
I had a little time to kill today, so I swung by Walter Wirth lake today in Salem. I was there from about 2:20 until 2:45. There were about 18 peeps, with lines in the H2O. Most were using Power Bait or Power Eggs. And a couple were flipping kastmasters and / or spinners.

Right as I pulled to a stop, and shut OFF my motor, I watched one dude pull in a shiny bow. I was about 80 yards away; but I'd peg it at 13 to 14 inches max. The rest of the time that I was there; no one else even had a bite. There were a few bigguns, surfacing. And they were close to shore; which stands to reason for brooders.

Well...that's about it. Except, I wondered if any OFFers were at Wirth this afternoon. Please chime in, if you were there today.

Happy trails, TD

D
Drew9870
I was the dude with the fly rod :cool:

M
michigan_transplant
I was there on Saturday. Started out SLOWWWWW and then they started biting and most people were getting them in the corner in front of the parking lot right next to that dock thing that goes out. Watched a dude walk out on it with a blue spinner and pull three BIG ones out, prolly in the 17 inch to 20 inch range.

brandon4455
brandon4455
is walter wirth the one at cascade gateway park? havent fished there since last year. thats pretty colse i think ill head there some time soon. and thanks for the report jay, we should go there sometime. i need to restock on trout stuff though, all i have is steelhead stuff atm LOL.

brandon

D
Drew9870
Let me know when you head out again, I might head that way if the weather isn't bad.

Ya, I usually just call it Cascade Pond.

troutdude
troutdude
Drew9870 said:
I was the dude with the fly rod :cool:

Now that is TOO funny. I watched you walk right past me, and start casting. I was only about 20 - 30 yards behin you; in a blueish Honda. I saw you make about a half dozen casts, but didn't see you get anything. Did you have any luck?

troutdude
troutdude
Yes, Walter Wirth is at Cascade Gateway park; just past Wally World's parking lot.

brandon4455
brandon4455
small world eh? hey jay when is the next time you are planning on going back out there?

troutdude
troutdude
I don't really care much for fishing there. I just wanted to see how peeps were doing.

brandon4455
brandon4455
oh.. okie dokie ,well now that the lake is closed where are we suppose to fish for trout? ...

troutdude
troutdude
Lots of area lakes are still open; as are a few streams. Just check your reg book's listings.

brandon4455
brandon4455
okie dokie ;) if i find a decent place that is close to us im dragging your butt out there and we will catch some fatties. LOL

D
Drew9870
No luck, had one hit. Monday, I caught 8 all over a pound on the fly, just using a black fly with a gold bead and a bit of flash to it, I was the only one catching anything basically shoulder to shoulder in that corner next to the bait guys.

M
mrlindeman
You guys should have informed me!!! lol I will be out there saturday or sunday. We need to all get together and fish. I will be bringin a fly rod and a trout rod with power eggs :) I usually fish in the mornin though so you guys will have to get up pretty early lol. Hey drew I will pick up some flies for ya today. Sounds like you need a couple wooley buggers right?

M
michigan_transplant
depending on what the alsea river is looking like i might be out there this weekend. ill look for peeps with fly rods.

troutdude
troutdude
The primary reason that I usually don't care for that lake; is becuse of the strange (and often rude) peeps that go there.

But ya know...if a bunch of groovy OFFers are all gonna be there...youse guyz just might talk me into it!

M
mrlindeman
troutdude said:
The primary reason that I usually don't care for that lake; is becuse of the strange (and often rude) peeps that go there.

But ya know...if a bunch of groovy OFFers are all gonna be there...youse guyz just might talk me into it!

Rude people make great fishing pole holders if they land just right after pushing them down :) J/K :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
mrlindeman said:
rude people make great fishing pole holders if they land just right after pushing them down :) j/k :)

lol.

D
Drew9870
HAHA.

They make great bait as well, for Sturgeon or Crabs.

troutdude
troutdude
I've been sorely tempted, on occasion, to see if weebles sink or swim.