Wallowa Lake mackinaw advice pleeeease

Aervax

Most Featured
I am fishing Wallowa Lake for the first time this coming weekend. Primary target is Mackinaw. I have caught a few over the years, but never fished for them in Oregon before. Fish seem to have their preferences from region to region. Anyone with ideas for fishing Macks at Wallowa I would love to hear from you. Vertical jigging with jigging spoons, bucktail jigs and tube style plastic baits have worked for me elsewhere. What methods and colors work best for Macks at Wallowa? I will take pics and report back next week.

Aervax

Most Featured
I did scour the archives. Lots of info there about kokanee, but nada on Macks. I am Hoping for ideas that are not on my current M.O., especially color choices for spoons and jigs.

Aervax

Most Featured
I had a job interview pop up for a position that I really want. Wallowa Lake trip was postponed until a later date. In the fact finding process I came across two key points that may be of some value to others headed that direction.

Point 1.) Kokanee numbers have exploded - approaching a million of them in the lake. Correspondingly, the average size has dropped significantly. It sounds like the occasional 4-5 pounder is being caught, but they are becoming less frequent. Most reports talk about catching kokes 7-10" long. The usual jigging or downrigger trolling methods are both working. Nothing like the hay day when records were being broken.

Point 2.) Lake Trout/Mackinaw fishing at Wallowa is more difficult than most lakes in OR, especially during the heat of the summer. Numbers are not that high, but size is good. Fish are generally 120-200 feet, but some are all the way down to 250. Locating them in a big deep lake when they are running at 200 feet is a challenge. It is possible that numbers are even lower than usual due to the dearth of kokes to forage on 3 or 4 years ago. With the koke population exploding this is probably changing as we speak. That means lots of food to grow big Macks even bigger and to promote survival and growth of young fish. 2 or 3 years from now it could be Lake Trout Shangrila for anglers.

Disclaimer here. The above info is based on what I found on line and was taken at face value. Potential for exaggeration and outright lies is not figured into any of it. As anglers, you know that quotient could be pretty high. Some of you know that better than others. Haha. When I get a chance to go to Wallowa I will do my darndest to disprove the above theories.

In the meantime, if one of you beats me to it please let me know how you fare.

Last edited:
Top Bottom