Walleye partners needed - fishing from kayaks, toons or small boats

Aervax

The guides all say late February to mid April is the time to catch the biggest walleye. That is perfect timing from my point of view as I am looking to catch a few fish here in the gorge while waiting for the water to warm up and bass fishing to pick up.

I am looking for partners in crime to make the experience safer and more fun. Honestly, I am a blank slate when it comes to walleye fishing. I have caught a few on accident over the years, but never on purpose. Haha.
It is time for me to learn another species, and walleye fill this slow fishing time slot perfectly before bass and wild trout fishing start to pick up in the gorge and nearby rivers.

Dates I am looking at this week are March 5, 6 or 7. That is Tues, Wed or Thurs. I am flexible on the day or the plan if a different date is better for interested fishing pardners. Of course I will be planning more trips over the weeks to come.

Location is partially dependent on wind and weather. I am thinking about the John Day Arm of the Columbia out by Le Page Park. There is an old farm road that drops into the John Day Arm about 3 miles below the narrows and the falls. If the snow isn't too bad that is my preferred launch for a starting point in kayaks this time of year. Second choice is Le Page Park as long as it is not too windy there. There are some very specific spots that I am going to try bank fishing for walleye if it is too windy to safely or comfortably fish from kayaks.

All the above locations are good spots to launch kayaks, pontoons, small skiffs or drift boats. I am open to walleye fishing partners with any of the above.

Send a PM if you are interested in putting something together with me. I look forward to reporting back on my new hunt for walleye on the Columbia.

Last edited by a moderator:

bass

Thanks for sending out the OFFer. I can't make it during the week. I usually fish on Sundays, but I wanted to let you know that this is appreciated.

I actually have never taken my kayak to the Columbia. I feel like I still have so much exploration to do on the Willamette. That said I am hoping to hit the Columbia later in the spring for some bass fishing. I will try to remember to drop you a line when I do. Good luck with the walleye. Hopefully, the wind will die down a bit. It is pretty breezy in Portland - I can't even imagine how brutal the gorge is.

Aervax

Weather and temperature have me postponing for the next few days, anyway. I have 3 feet of snow at my place. My kayaks are still buried under it. It was 5 degrees here in the hills, last night. Warmer down along the river, though. I was going to hit a spot in The Dalles for bank fishing for carp and walleye today (different holes of course). I will fish later this week after it warms up and report back then.

bass

I moved out here from the East coast and I do not miss having multiple feet of snow on the ground. Glad to live here in Portland where most of the time a snowstorm means 3 inches of snow that lasts for two days.

Best of luck for when you do get out!