Walleye jumping 20 feet into waterpipe

B

bigfootfish

A friend of mine was telling me about the buck deer he shot by Sheridan last week and afterwards we got to talking about walleye. He told me a walleye story that's quite amazing: He was fishing below some dam in Washington State during the past year. This dam has a 2 or 3 foot diameter pipe protruding out of the dam, pointing downstream. The mouth of this pipe was about 20 feet above the water, and water was pouring out of the pipe.
He was quite startled when suddenly a walleye jumped clean out of the water, rocketed 20 feet upwards and right into the mouth of that pipe, and it was gone. Over the course of the next few hours he watched over 30 walleye jumped up into that pipe! Egad! The Eugene Register Guard ran a story awhile back, I heard, about the discovery of walleye in Dorena Reservoir and also Hills Creek Reservoir.
Anyone here anything about that Dorena/Hills Creek story?

BFF

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike123

Does this guy work for MSNBC?? :lol::lol:

Sorry HBM... had to hold up for the other team. ;)

I'd never think a walleye, the boot of all fish, could have enough OOMMPH to make it up something like that. That'd be a feat for a steelhead.

H

halibuthitman

c.s.i oregon

c.s.i oregon

ok... im gonna do it, cause im bored, im gonna try to validate this....

walleye cannot jump 20 ft.. marlin can barely jump 20 ft.... but the story comes from a fisherman.. so lets say he really thought it was ten ft but the story kinda grew... meaning with the lousy internal tape and scale most fisherman have... it was 6 ft. ok, possible

there are no pipes that come through any columbia river dam below the spillway that pass through the dam unimpeded, so, let say it was a dike, not a dam... ok could happen.

so, now we have a 6 ft leap to a culvert passing into an irrigation canal or slew... walleye do not migrate up tributaries to spawn, so I cannot see any reason one would travel up a pipe, I have seen a sqauw fish do it,, several in a row, so if the six feet was the top of a 3 ft culvert.. the fish only had to jump 3 feet in to water with little or no current.

ok, now 30 fish were said to have acomplished this feat, so story grew from 15 into 30 over time, the miss-count on the front end makes it 7.5 fish.

so, on the day in question, a semi-blind fisherman witnessed 7.5 sqauw fish leap 3 ft into a culvert that lead to an irrigation ditch or slew.
The walleye in said lakes or resi. most likely ended up there trhough the white five gallon bucket stocking program sponsored by country club beer.

S

SNDSLGR

ok... Im gonna do it, cause im bored, im gonna try to validate this....

Walleye cannot jump 20 ft.. Marlin can barely jump 20 ft.... But the story comes from a fisherman.. So lets say he really thought it was ten ft but the story kinda grew... Meaning with the lousy internal tape and scale most fisherman have... It was 6 ft. Ok, possible

there are no pipes that come through any columbia river dam below the spillway that pass through the dam unimpeded, so, let say it was a dike, not a dam... Ok could happen.

So, now we have a 6 ft leap to a culvert passing into an irrigation canal or slew... Walleye do not migrate up tributaries to spawn, so i cannot see any reason one would travel up a pipe, i have seen a sqauw fish do it,, several in a row, so if the six feet was the top of a 3 ft culvert.. The fish only had to jump 3 feet in to water with little or no current.

Ok, now 30 fish were said to have acomplished this feat, so story grew from 15 into 30 over time, the miss-count on the front end makes it 7.5 fish.

So, on the day in question, a semi-blind fisherman witnessed 7.5 sqauw fish leap 3 ft into a culvert that lead to an irrigation ditch or slew.
The walleye in said lakes or resi. Most likely ended up there trhough the white five gallon bucket stocking program sponsored by country club beer.

lmfao!!

T

Troutier Bassier

:shock::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::naughty:
Is that enough?

B

bigfootfish

Anatoliy, a suggestion.

Anatoliy, a suggestion.

I agree this is a talllllll tale. A whale of a tale!:lol::):D When Kevin got done with his story I looked him in the eye and said, Sure. You betcha. What were you smokin' at the time? Assorted wise cracks. Makes a good story though. Lots a good laughs from you all.:lol: Thanks!
Anatoliy, maybe we need a tall tale section called Whale Tales or sumptin'. Perhaps divided into true tales and untrue tales.:rolleyes:
I've got some honest-to-goodness completely true fishing stories that are amazing, especially tales from Olallie Lake, which is just about my favorite high mountain lake. All true.:whistle:

BFF

Last edited:
M

Mike123

This looks to be about 5ft... Nothing for a Brown trout! :lol:

brownspip.jpg

G

grampa ron

Walleye in the Willamette System

Walleye in the Willamette System

I doubt Walleye are jumping 20ft. but somehow they made it over the dam at Lookout Point Res. There are definitely Wallies in Lookout and Dexter, there have even been a few caught below Dexter. This has been confirmed by ODFW and thier not too happy about it. They also say the Wallies are reproducing in the res. This is a totally untapped fishery.

B

beaverfan

The Walleye in Lookout were most certainly put there by fisherman. It's really unfortunate and could end up devastating a great fishery.

G

GDBrown

Not what it looks like

Not what it looks like

This looks to be about 5ft... Nothing for a Brown trout! :lol:

brownspip.jpg

There not jumping up they are being dumped out. that is the spout at the back of a stocking truck!!!:naughty::naughty:

GD

M

Mike123

There not jumping up they are being dumped out. that is the spout at the back of a stocking truck!!!:naughty::naughty:

GD

How do you figure? They don't come out like that...

B

beaverfan

I've watched a lot of stockings and they have always done exactly that. They try to swim back into the pipe.

M

Mike123

Well with that pic it's not the case.. the were trying to go up it to spawn.
There's a few articles about it online. Bull trout do this at Trail Bridge into those big culvert looking pipes with water gushing out of them.

Top Bottom