Walleye in Willamette above the falls?

ProfessorWit

Hello,
Just got a new pontoon boat and I'm looking for any advice on where those elusive walleye hide out above the Willamette Falls Dam. I know they are downstream but I prefer this great tasting fish with a little less of the added "Portland Willamette River Spice." The Columbia maybe on a nice day but I really would like to explore and document walleye in this stretch of river.

igquick

We have caught walleye in 20 feet, to 90 feet of water; not sure if luck, but obviously walleye are in the deeper waters. We were using small jigs, and sometimes worms

bass

Most Featured
I think walleye are pretty rare in the upper Willamette. I believe I have read that folks catch them below Dexter so they must be spread throughout the system but I don't think they exist in numbers - or if they do it is the best keep secret in Oregon.

In the Multnomah Channel I have caught some trolling in 20-30' of water with a worm harness. I have read that a lot of folks like to target them in 12-20' but I have never tried that. They are more active in low light conditions but are catchable at any time. On the Columbia they commonly troll reefs that are in ~20' of water or so.

IGQ, catching them in 90' sounds wild. I catch sturgeon in super deep water but I have never tried to fish those depths for other species.

ProfessorWit

I think walleye are pretty rare in the upper Willamette. I believe I have read that folks catch them below Dexter so they must be spread throughout the system but I don't think they exist in numbers - or if they do it is the best keep secret in Oregon.

In the Multnomah Channel I have caught some trolling in 20-30' of water with a worm harness. I have read that a lot of folks like to target them in 12-20' but I have never tried that. They are more active in low light conditions but are catchable at any time. On the Columbia they commonly troll reefs that are in ~20' of water or so.

IGQ, catching them in 90' sounds wild. I catch sturgeon in super deep water but I have never tried to fish those depths for other species.
Do you think they are safe to eat from Multnomah Channel? I've fished for sturgeon there years ago.

bass

Most Featured
You can google and search for the warnings. I don't know what they are off the top of my head but I would not eat a resident fish out of the WIillamette or Columbia.

Top Bottom