Walleye in Lookout...

G
grizzlynitemare
Walleye in Lookout...

My family mostly lives over in east Springfield, so it's not very far to Lookout from there. If I go anywhere for them walleye, I'm going to go there.

J
JeannaJigs
fishs-from-a-kayak said:
I was also reading up on Munsel lake in Florence. It has a 4 out 5 rating for Walleye according to fishnotes.

That's interesting, I've fished there a ton during my youth and never caught or heard of walleye in there. It's very small. Lots of perch and trout though.

B
Blackdiamond1983
So has anyone got a 100% that there is walleye in look out? I have heard rumors that hills creek in Oakridge has walleye as well but never got confirmation.

Troutski
Troutski
Walleye in LOP res...

Walleye in LOP res...

ODFW did a fish serve on Lookout Point and did in fact find Walleye in the res. Not just one fish but a budding population... You can reach them at 541 726 3515, ask for Kelly; she will give you all the details..
If they take, it will make for a great fishery.... JMHO

Chuck

B
Blackdiamond1983
Sweet. Looks like I have a new species to target. Errrrr I just dont know how to fish for them.

F
Fishing ninja
Blackdiamond1983 said:
Sweet. Looks like I have a new species to target. Errrrr I just dont know how to fish for them.
Walleye are a schooling predatory fish. They usually hunt in groups. They typical bite in the evening, don't like a lot of light and typically hit jigs, Worms, minnows and leaches work pretty good. They bite harder in the spring but once there is more food in the water by summer they start to bite lazy. The bite is very light and you almost have to hold the line with your forefinger and delay setting the hook otherwise you will rip the worm in half because they take their time eating the bait. Up north we call it the chicken of the lake. Delicious fish. We take the fillet and wrap it in foil with sliced mushrooms, potatoes, onions and a bit of salt pepper and butter is a must.

F
Fishing ninja
Fishing ninja said:
Walleye are a schooling predatory fish. They usually hunt in groups. They typical bite in the evening, don't like a lot of light and typically hit jigs, Worms, minnows and leaches work pretty good. They bite harder in the spring but once there is more food in the water by summer they start to bite lazy. The bite is very light and you almost have to hold the line with your forefinger and delay setting the hook otherwise you will rip the worm in half because they take their time eating the bait. Up north we call it the chicken of the lake. Delicious fish. We take the fillet and wrap it in foil with sliced mushrooms, potatoes, onions and a bit of salt pepper and butter is a must.
Also its much easier to catch them in the lake. In the rivers you use a walleye rig. That's effective on may other fish....

F
Fishing ninja
Oregon Coast said:
They were griping about the largemouths eating the trout a few years back too, but that panned out fine. And look at what they are now - Sportfish. It's the same with walleye, all of the aquatic dwellers have to adapt to each new situation, like the bass versus trout rivalry. They now live in peace together. Walleye have a lot of sharp teeth so if you land one, don't forget! If I remember correctly, the state record walleye was snagged on the columbia and it was between 12 and 15 pounds. I don't regularly check the records unless it catfish. I've caught 14 wallies in my time with the biggest being on a deep purple 3" tube with blue sparkles weighing in at 6lbs 2oz on the Gilbert River. Walleye is one of the best fish I've ate and damn well one of the best fighters I've had hooked! Walleye are most definitively worth the time and trip.
With walleye we have to be careful because they hunt in packs. Like gangs. And the move around more in the evening when other fish are Less active. Once their population climes, there will be less food for other fish on the lake. And you will notice these other fish being all skinny, and more prone to disease. Meanwhile the walleye stay nice and plump. However the sportsfishing people will target these fish because the are good eating and put up a pole shaking fight.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I like the resurgent interest in replying to zombie threads. Honestly. I never understood the taboo against the practice of posting responses to threads started in a previous decade. 😂

It is worth noting that the regulations in Oregon are fantastically complicated and often vary from one side of the road to the other, but in no place in the state is it legal to use minnows or leeches. So just keep that in mind.

F
Fishing ninja
Shaun Solomon said:
I like the resurgent interest in replying to zombie threads. Honestly. I never understood the taboo against the practice of posting responses to threads started in a previous decade. 😂

It is worth noting that the regulations in Oregon are fantastically complicated and often vary from one side of the road to the other, but in no place in the state is it legal to use minnows or leeches. So just keep that in mind.
However one can use synthetic leaches and minnows and to fish with. Also even though though they are not real on can marinate them to attract fish very these fish from a distance. There are more things I can post on the subject but I won't because I will not get into the specifics of the techniques because of the same reason why a magician doesn't reveal his secrets. Walleye is a very different fish to these waters and behaves in its own way. Very invasive but very good eatin. Just trying to help out people who are exploring this fish.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Easy there, nobody is asking for you to blow your magic wad. I’m sure normal people catching normal ‘eyes wouldn’t know anything about the black arts of pursuing such an occult quarry anyway.

I’ll just be over here, marinating some synthetic minnows and leeches 🤣

Reactions: Snopro
jamisonace
jamisonace
Shaun Solomon said:
Easy there, nobody is asking for you to blow your magic wad. I’m sure normal people catching normal ‘eyes wouldn’t know anything about the black arts of pursuing such an occult quarry anyway.

I’ll just be over here, marinating some synthetic minnows and leeches 🤣
LOL.....how do people find these old threads? Funny thing is it's definitely not a secret anymore and by the looks of the dozens of walleye carcasses at the ramp, effective techniques to catch them are not a secret either.

Reactions: Sasquatch Shane and Shaun Solomon
troutdude
troutdude
Fishing ninja said:
However one can use synthetic leaches and minnows and to fish with.
Only if bait is allowed, would this be accurate.

In places were bait is not allowed, only artificial flies and lures (spinners, spoons, jigs, etc.) are legal. Power bait, Power Eggs, Mice Tails, and other "synthetics" are illegal.

D
DrTheopolis
troutdude said:
Only if bait is allowed, would this be accurate.

In places were bait is not allowed, only artificial flies and lures (spinners, spoons, jigs, etc.) are legal. Power bait, Power Eggs, Mice Tails, and other "synthetics" are illegal.
What ^^^^^^^ he said.

D
DrTheopolis
Shaun Solomon said:
Is it legal to pull a rabbit out of a hat and chum with it?

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
🤔

S
Snopro
Kind of a moot point, because bait is allowed in most (maybe all) Oregon walleye waters.