Walleye in Lookout Point Spring of 2020

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Let's bring it up again, done as much online research as I can, seems to be a few posts here about walleye but has anyone targeted them?

I'd love to try for some out of the kayak but don't feel to comfortable fishing 100' of water out of this one.

Would they be shallower?

Local I talked to targets them with bottom bouncer rigs and half a night crawler, but didn't say where on lookout.

EOBOY
EOBOY
I had a customer many years ago who fished for them at the East end of Sauvie Is. said he fished for them like he was fishing for Bass. He used a small boat, that's about all I could get out of him! He kept his knowledge pretty close to his vest.

4labs
4labs
Last yr spotted 8-10 boats on the north side inc a guild sled all stacked up near the inlet or Willamette River in less than 30ft of water
on my way to Wickiup in mid May.
Watch any of the Walleye shows on TV and they hit almost anything near the bottom inc jigs and most any plug
Plus some VERY large trout in there

plumbertom
plumbertom
NKlamerus said:
I'd love to try for some out of the kayak but don't feel to comfortable fishing 100' of water out of this one.
I gotta ask. What's the difference between fishing in 100' of water or 10' of water.
As long the water is over your head it's all the same to me.
Now as for LOP, I don't know. I've been wanting to get on that water body for a few years now, But the only time I got there and conditions allowed me to launch mt jon boat (other attempts were abandoned because of wind waves) my motor quit and I had to use the Trolling motor to get back.
But I've read that springtime can be productive in the shallow waters especially the over the high spots.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
plumbertom said:
I gotta ask. What's the difference between fishing in 100' of water or 10' of water.
As long the water is over your head it's all the same to me.
Now as for LOP, I don't know. I've been wanting to get on that water body for a few years now, But the only time I got there and conditions allowed me to launch mt jon boat (other attempts were abandoned because of wind waves) my motor quit and I had to use the Trolling motor to get back.
But I've read that springtime can be productive in the shallow waters especially the over the high spots.

Spent a lot of time underwater lol, I can comfortably free dive to about 35' after a lung warmup, just piece of mind I suppose.

Nothing worse than motor trouble, at least the trolling motor was aboard though!

Were you launching from the ramp on the north east side?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Yep. that was where I launched from. Took off across the lake intending to work along the south shore But halfway across the motor lost power and would barely run.
Once back to the north side I did use the trolling motor for as far as I dared and worked the shoreline to get in a little fishing.
I boated several large mouth. most were on the small side but I did get a couple that would have been CA legal (12'').
Turned out the carbs had gummed up from sitting too long between uses. A couple of things combined to keep my partner and I from our usual every two to three week fishing days. My boat seldom sits for long periods without use even in winter. There's always a day here and there we can get on the water.
But after that experience I have made it a point to run the carbs dry at the boat wash or open the drains if we've been to the lake and the motor don't require flushing.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Not worth the time on Lookout for walleye. Super scarce. You'll spend weeks before you luck into one.

Marbleeye47
Marbleeye47
I would highly recommend doing some research before making an attempt and keep in mind lookout can get pretty sketchy when the wind picks up

Reactions: Troutski
Troutski
Troutski
" I would highly recommend doing some research before making an attempt and keep in mind lookout can get pretty sketchy when the wind picks up" This is one large lake and can be dangerous, on the Walleye follow the bait fish. Give School Creek a try, it takes time to learn any new body of water add in a new species well like all angling patience is paramount. Keep in mind there are Landlocked Chinook Salmon along with a great population of Rainbow trout.. the next state record for Crappie will probably come from Lookout Point.

tight lines

Chuck

jamisonace
jamisonace
I barely made if off the lake a few years back. Through wind and driving rain with water coming over the bow, we could only go slow and limp back to the ramp. Not fun.

Troutski
Troutski
jamisonace said:
I barely made if off the lake a few years back. Through wind and driving rain with water coming over the bow, we could only go slow and limp back to the ramp. Not fun.
I had a very close call with my two sons on that lake, never underestimate large bodies of water...

Chuck

Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
NKlamerus said:
Let's bring it up again, done as much online research as I can, seems to be a few posts here about walleye but has anyone targeted them?

Would they be shallower?

Local I talked to targets them with bottom bouncer rigs and half a night crawler, but didn't say where on lookout.
Anybody have any more experience in targeting walleye in Lookout?

B
bucketman009
I have a lot.....there are never any double digit days and most days 1 or 2 for those that know where to find them....and the wind in the PM is a booger....the common types of walleye gear work here as well as the Columbia....and the Channel.....honestly if Walleye is what you are targeting hit the channel....that is what I have been doing too.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Walleye in Lookout is tough no matter who you are. Expect many skunks before you start figuring it out and then expect 1 or 2.

having gone there several times, my experience is they don't exist :(

Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
Thanks - that helps a lot - now to sound like a newbie - where is the channel?:confused:

B
bucketman009
Channel runs the length of the reservoir and is not confined to one side or the other electronics will help with that......I will stress again this lake will get 4 or 5' waves in a 20 minute period so be VERY careful.

Reactions: Vintageflyguy