Walleye from the bank

S
susqwahanna
Can anyone point me in the right direction to catch some walleye from the bank? What kinds of lures and technique is used?

C
cavdad45
I wish...

Best bet I know of is Eastern Washington, but by their very nature walleye love the deep water and that usually precludes any reasonable expectancy of shore fishing success.

C
chris61182
Best luck from the bank might be at night when they do go shallow.

S
Silverblade
chris61182 said:
Best luck from the bank might be at night when they do go shallow.

It appears from reading up on them that they move into shallower water at night - so early evening/dusk may be worth a try. There are supposed to be Walleye now in the lower Willamette - I plan to hit Kelly Point a few times this year and try to fish the deep sturgeon hole area for Walleye at sundown. I think I'll wait for our April winter to end though first.

T
trollin4trout
Multnomah Channel is full of walleye and it is 10-20ft in most places. We anchored once straight across from the Gilbert River ramp in about 15ft of water. Fishing a whole nightcrawler on the bottom we hooked and lost two walleye in 20 minutes. No reason you couldn't catch one off the bank there.
Trolling worm harnesses or plugs will catch them also.

S
Silverblade
trollin4trout said:
Multnomah Channel is full of walleye and it is 10-20ft in most places. We anchored once straight across from the Gilbert River ramp in about 15ft of water. Fishing a whole nightcrawler on the bottom we hooked and lost two walleye in 20 minutes. No reason you couldn't catch one off the bank there.
Trolling worm harnesses or plugs will catch them also.

:confused: Where is Multnomah channel? Never mind - duh - used the internet & found it!

How is the bank access there? May have to take a drive up there and look around. I've heard that Sauvie Island had some panfish spots in lakes - could hit those too while on a recon...

Last edited:
J
joro79
Hi, there is plenty of bank fishing options on the Multnomah channel. I fished there last summer but I was very disappointed, I didint catch anything. There are many lakes on Souvie Island, the one that I really like is Hadelman Pond, it is stocked with trout , besides that I am not sure what kind of fish there is.
What kind of technique are you going to use to catch those Walleyes

S
Silverblade
joro79 said:
Hi, there is plenty of bank fishing options on the Multnomah channel. I fished there last summer but I was very disappointed, I didint catch anything. There are many lakes on Souvie Island, the one that I really like is Hadelman Pond, it is stocked with trout , besides that I am not sure what kind of fish there is.
What kind of technique are you going to use to catch those Walleyes

I haven't a clue! ;) I am going to read up on Walleye fishing and hopefully find something in my tackle box that will work. I'd So hate to have to go to Cabellas or fishermans wherhouse and buy more fishing gear (not, any excuse works for me!).
Last time (and the only time) I went to Kelly Point I'd just come from Hagg and had my 6lb line on. I was fishing nightcrawlers on the bottom and something hit and broke my line off like nothing. Next time I set the drag more carefully - felt pretty dumb. I have no idea what it was but it probably wasn't a Walleye - though they do get that big. All info I can find says that they feed almost exclusively on small fish, so I probably hooked up with a Sturgeon or a big Carp I'd guess. I want a rematch though :mad:

Last edited:
S
susqwahanna
I'd like to bring this up again.

Any new info out there>??

F
FishSchooler
Just look for spots like channels, or warm water creeks. I think oswego creek in george rogers park on the willamette has some walleye in it, just not much.

F
fitterdent
there are a lot of wall eye in the john day. crank baits work well for them.

H
halibuthitman
better late than never

better late than never

So as a kid fishing marcus island on the canadian border ( fast and small columbia river ) we fished off points with a wedding ring set up with a tiny piece of nite crawler, at nite we used white jigs with of course the crawler, and often cast red and white and gold mepps algia spinners, or red and white dardeville spoons ( with the gold back ) using them like a crankbait hitting the bottom, stopping, jerking, most important.... walleye hit spinners and spoons more often than not on the fall, so stop reeling but stay on task cause they will smack the spoon like it owes it money!

P
plunkme
ive heard that people have caught walleye at bonneville dam, i believe at the point of robin island but they just throw worms under a bobber and just let it float out there, you maybe able to catch bass there as well too i have never tried but i plan to when it gets warmer

F
Fishtopher
Walleye are everywhere in the Willy and the Big C. Get to yer spot in time to fish your allotted 1 hour before sunrise, or 1 hour after sunset. Toss yer favorite plug, spinner, or worm and work it. Gotta work it. Walleye cruise sand flats and dart in and outta weed beds, ambushing stupid Squaw's, Smallies, Perch, and whatever other fish happens to be running on by. Watch those teeth folks. Yow! Best Walleye fishing I have been witness to was up around Crow Butte in Eastern Washington on the Big C. Fun fishin, thats fer sure!

O
OneMore
Ive heard there is a good spot at Rooster Rock state park. There is a rock cliff right by the boat launch that has a deep hole. Should be bass there to ive only fished it once and has some bass bites.

F
Fishtopher
There are some very nice bank access holes between Rooster and the Falls. A few in there I would consider to be "honey hole" material. And its one of those areas thats very diverse as far as the fishies go.

N
ninja2010
Fishtopher said:
Walleye are everywhere in the Willy and the Big C. Get to yer spot in time to fish your allotted 1 hour before sunrise, or 1 hour after sunset.

is the timing coz they're nocturnal feeders? i've never fished for walleyes...

S
steelheadstalker31
I've fished a fair amount of walley, just not around hear so I won't be able to give you a location but I can give some good advice. If I had to use one thing from the shore it would be a rapala or something like that. The rapala countdowns work really well, but I'm sure anything that is a sinking or neutral bouyancy minnow replica would do the job. Obviously the best times are early and late. If you could find where some bait fish are hanging out you can bet the walleys will be there also. They are not that different from bass in that they like structure, like weeds, trees, drop off's, that sort of thing. One of my favorite colors back east was black and gold and I think with all the squafish in the Willy, it would probably work there as well. As far as how to retrieve the lure, I always did best with walk the dog retrieval, but I've also caught a few just realing it in as fast as I could. So you might want to give that a try from time to time.