Walleye fishing?

H

haro1

hi all, im new to the site and live in Minnesota and moving to oregon in a year or so. we love walleye in Mn and are used to things such as ice fishing and 100,000 acre lakes fishing for them. i just pulled my ice house (8 x 14, loft, lights, knotty pine interior, satallite T.v., rattle wheels, everything a guy needs for a weekend on the lake) which was 7 miles out in the middle of Mille lacs in 30 feet of water on 28 inches of ice.
I havent seen a single thread about walleye fishing in oregon, any comments of suggestions. Any info would be great, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hanapaa

Just wanted to welcome you to OFF. I am not that familiar with walleye fishing, but I hear that the Columbia River is a top rate walleye area. Where in Oregon are you moving to? You can be sure that we will help you as much we as can.

W

willfishforfood

You don't hear a lot about walleye because they are not a native species and in fact threaten salmon runs on the Columbia and Willamette. I read an article about them in the Eugene Register Guard newspaper about a recent discovery of Walleye in Lookout Point and/or Dexter. I think the population down here is still pretty small, but is much larger in bigger water like the Columbia.

C

cavdad45

The Columbia River is in fact a world-class walleye fishery, especially up river around McNary. Eastern Washington seep lakes, like Potholes have great fisheries, too.

Yes, walleye are non-native and relatively a new species to the Northwest, but the reason you don't hear much about walleye fishing is in that there are not many anglers that know how to consistently catch them.

No, walleye do not threaten salmon and steelhead. Walleye live near the bottom in very deep rocky areas of the river in depths well below the migratory paths of anadramous fish. Ask ODFW on that one.

H

haro1

thank you all for the comments. walleye are very hard to catch, but i guess when they have been the main fish a person has fished for for 24 years i still love them. I'm actually scared to start fishing for trout and salmon. i have no idea about the different types of trout or salmon, methods of fishing them, pretty much starting all over. fishing in Minnesota is pretty much 100 percent opposite of Oregon, from lakes vs your streams and rivers, to bait and presentation, to even what kind and size of a species a person eats. ahhh, hopefully in the year to come before i make the move, probably somewhere in the portland area, due to work, and spouses college; i can make some new friends and connections through this site. i have a site here in MN that i love and helps out greatly.

C

cavdad45

You'll enjoy the fishing here. I'm sure you will get opportunities to fish with some of the guys on this site when you get here.

J

JTLunker

When you arrive let us know where you are located. I am always down to do some fishing of any kind! Send me a PM when you arrive! Until then see ya on the posts! Welcome to OFF!

M

Marvin's Guide Service

When you arrive let us know where you are located. I am always down to do some fishing of any kind! Send me a PM when you arrive! Until then see ya on the posts! Welcome to OFF!

there is great walleye fishing in the troutdale area. across from the sandy river.

T

Troutier Bassier

The Colombia has a lot of Places to fish for Walleye, Like Cavdad said, The colombia river is a great fishery. I think it will produce the next world record Walleye. The record here is 19lbs and the world record is like 21Lbs I belive?

Good luck And try to hook up with a guide, The only guy I can recommend is Ed Iman Guide Service. Hes a real nice guy and he is also a good Teacher.

Good luck

H

halibuthitman

The Columbia River is in fact a world-class walleye fishery, especially up river around McNary. Eastern Washington seep lakes, like Potholes have great fisheries, too.

Yes, walleye are non-native and relatively a new species to the Northwest, but the reason you don't hear much about walleye fishing is in that there are not many anglers that know how to consistently catch them.

No, walleye do not threaten salmon and steelhead. Walleye live near the bottom in very deep rocky areas of the river in depths well below the migratory paths of anadramous fish. Ask ODFW on that one.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: A salmon fisherman with a bucket of roe is the most effective killer of salmon I know of.... but it always comes down on all the other fish:think:

W

Wickerdave

Just saw your post from a few years ago, and am curious how you are doing with the Walleyes out here. We just moved here from Iowa a few months ago, now living just south of Salem in Sublimity Oregon. I'm starting slow, Kokanee on the green Peter and crabbin in Newport bay. Want desperately to get into some big Columbia river walleyes. Throw me an email, see if we are anywhere close by.

J

joesnuffy

Up near the Boardman area produces some big Walleye. I havn't yet fished for them even though I've been down there several times. I"m hoping to get there before the years end.