Wahtum Lake on the PCT

S
Sean
I'm going on a 3 day two night hike and was hoping to fish Wahtum Lake in Hood River County. Has anyone fished this lake, or know anything about it?

Thanks~!

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

Don't know anything about the lake in question but welcome to the site anyway. I am sure one of our members will be more helpful...tight lines and be well.

Chuck

F
FishFinger
welcome to the forum. Are planning on hiking the eagle creek trail 440 to the lake? Or drive to it?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yes, welcome! I have hiked the 26 mile loop many, many times. Only three times as a whole loop trip. My favorite part is the Vertigo Mile! But the first 10 miles or so, can be very crowded at tmes, especially during the Summer. If you have access to a kick tube, bring it. The lake is pretty big, and banking it can be difficult at times, but with no sub-surface growth right now, you should be good to go from the bank. Only thing I have ever used is flies, spinners, and spoons. Have had a buncha luck though. Especially when there are bug hatches. You don't even need to match it. Just have fur sitting in, or on top of the water is enough for those ravenous fish.

W
wanna go fishing
another forum to check

another forum to check

If you are going soon you might check with Portland Hikers. It is a great hikers forum. Not much into fishing but there is always somebody checking out the areas especially now with the low snow levels that we are having.

You might find a recent post about conditions and campsite availability or just jump into the forum and ask. They are a friendly helpful group like everybody here.

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Sweet. Nice link. I have never seen that place before. And only taken two routes previously. I did not know there was so much in close proximity either. This Spring we plan to use that site to help sort out routes, and alternate hikes/summits connecting to the Lake. Great site!

W
wanna go fishing
Never knew of so many trails.

Never knew of so many trails.

It is a nice site. Very active and full of people exploring new routes and trailblazing.

I'd like to hear how you do at Wahtum Lake when you go.

Last edited:
S
Sean
FishFinger said:
welcome to the forum. Are planning on hiking the eagle creek trail 440 to the lake? Or drive to it?

We are hiking in

S
Sean
Thank you!!

Thank you!!

Thank you to everyone who responded, I heard this was a great site and you are the proof. :D

Sean

S
susqwahanna
Portland Hikers is a great resource. I visit it quite often along with this one. Great ,friendly folks on that site who are always willing to help. I believe there is a thread on fishing lakes on it also.

S
susqwahanna
I do know there are a "million" steps down to the lake...well maybe not that many. There are several primitive sites around the lake. I have never fished it but if anyone does please post some "fish tales" and pictures.

O
okieinor
I think there were 252 railroad tie steps. Went over Father's Day weekend. It was mostly overcast and rainy at times. Caught 8 brookies on Saturday afternoon working nymphs from a float tube. One was just over 11 inches.

T
TTFishon
okieinor said:
I think there were 252 railroad tie steps. Went over Father's Day weekend. It was mostly overcast and rainy at times. Caught 8 brookies on Saturday afternoon working nymphs from a float tube. One was just over 11 inches.

Welcome to the forum okieinor.

B
bigfootfish
Sean said:
Hey all :)

I'm new to the forums, this sight looks great! I'm going on a 3 day two night hike and was hoping to fish Wahtum Lake in Hood River County. Has anyone fished this lake, or know anything about it?

Thanks~!

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but this thread should be in the Willamette, Central or Southwest Zone, as the PCT doesn't go anywhere near the Northwest Zone. And though it's late for this, welcome to OFF.

BFF