Wading boots help

N
nimzrock
I have a pair of neoprene waders coming via on online auction. Now my question is what type of wading boot to get, rubber, leather. felt, studded, lug ?????????
Thanx for your help - Nimz :cool:

kirkster
kirkster
nimzrock said:
I have a pair of neoprene waders coming via on online auction. Now my question is what type of wading boot to get, rubber, leather. felt, studded, lug ?????????
Thanx for your help - Nimz :cool:

I would get a pair with the interchangable soles they have them at fishermans I think between 70-90 bucks. can't remember excact price but its going to be my next purchase.

M
Mike123
Go on Cabela's and read the reviews about each of them...

After reading the reviews, I found the Cabela's Guidewear wading boots for $49.99 on sale. They are felt.
I'm not paying over $100 for wading boots.

Go with felt or felt with studs. Rubber is good for mud thats about it.
If you get studded ones make sure you can remove them.

L
Last Cast
I have a pair of Korker wading boots the guide model. I absolutly love them they have the boa lace system that uses cables instead of laces. No more ice cold hands trying to undo a double knot, or retying a shoe on the water. they have interchangable soles, and this second generation of korker no longer has problems with the soles coming out. You can find them at fishermans marine if you want to chek them out.

M
Mike123
Last Cast said:
I have a pair of Korker wading boots the guide model. I absolutly love them they have the boa lace system that uses cables instead of laces. No more ice cold hands trying to undo a double knot, or retying a shoe on the water. they have interchangable soles, and this second generation of korker no longer has problems with the soles coming out. You can find them at fishermans marine if you want to chek them out.

How much? Im looking to buy some new ones tomorrow. Making a trip to Sportsmans.

L
Last Cast
I purchaced mine two years mine two years ago for $140 not sure what the price is today.

kirkster
kirkster
Mike123 said:
How much? Im looking to buy some new ones tomorrow. Making a trip to Sportsmans.

I priced the ones with the cable laces the other day at fishermans now they are $179.95 (ouch) and the same boot with regular laces were around $79.95. The ones with the cable laces are sweet if its in your budget.

M
Mike123
kirkster said:
I priced the ones with the cable laces the other day at fishermans now they are $179.95 (ouch) and the same boot with regular laces were around $79.95. The ones with the cable laces are sweet if its in your budget.

Yup! OUCH for boots... Rather spend the money towards a pole or reel.

D
DirectDrive
I started with Danner 6" studded and they served me well for years....still have 'em. They recently went back to Danner for a "fluff and buff".
Over time I decided that I didn't like studs....thrashing about in someone else's boat with them...walking on pavement....etc.
Studs, I believe are harder on your back than just felt.

My next pair (and current) were Patagonia Lights.....spendy at $130 but very, very light which is a requirement for me.
They've been re-soled 4 times and are straight felt. They are wearing out though.

I was in Sportsman's WH the other day looking for a back-up pair and spied a Columbia Sportswear Copper Creek pair.
They are built similar to the Patagonia Lights but without the hefty price tag...they were $79.95 and extremely light in weight.
They are the best $80 pair that I had seen so I grabbed 'em. The only problem I have with them is that the designer bungled the lacing system, IMO.
He used speed lacing where he should have used hooks.....I plan on taking them in to the cobbler and have a couple of lace hooks put on.

Here's a couple of things that I do that have proven useful over the years:

1. If you ever had genuine leather Danner's, you know this one:
Get your wading boots wet before putting them on....I'll even carry an old milk jug full of water just for that if river water is not close at hand.
If you put 'em on dry you might want to re-tighten your laces after a bit.

2. Once my waders are on I put on a super thin pair of hiker's wick-dri socks over my neoprene booties, then I put my wading boots on.
This reduces wear on the neoprene booties and makes getting on the wading boots easier yet. The ones I like are from REI, about $3-$4 and are navy blue in color. They last forever.

One last thought on felt....
There is a movement now to try to eliminate felt. Apparently felt can harbor parasites that kill fish and thus can be spread from one system to another.
Non-felt alternatives are (and have been) being developed by the major wading boot mfr's.