Waders

J

jmelinte

I'm looking to get a pair of chest waders to use with my pontoon float, and I've been considering the options. The ones with rubber boots attached seem to be the cheapest. I looked around some more and found these shoes, which I liked quite a bit because I can use them along with my wetsuit, not just for fishing:

Amazon.com: Men's Hodgman® Neoprene Wading Shoes Black: Shoes

My question is what type of waders are supposed to be used with these shoes? The only ones I've seen are either with rubber boots attached or with neoprene "socks" attached. I can understand wearing sock-bottom waders with boot-type wading shoes, but what kind of waders do you wear with neoprene shoes? I'd like to find a really cheap solution overall. i can get a set of cheap boot-bottom waders for about 60 bucks, so I'd like to stay around that price range for now. Maybe someday I'll get really serious about it and invest more.

T

The Nothing

the neoprene foot type waders are ment to go with whatever boot you provide - normally a felt bottom wading shoe, similar to the link you provided.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
I'll go along with "The Nothing" If you use neoprene or breathable waders you best bet for boots are the ones with felt bottoms. They come two ways, ones with studs and ones with out. If you wade any rocky bottom river you'll love them. If I'm wading and not usuing the drift boat I use the ones with the studded souls they give you real good traction. In the boat I use the other ones. My oldest son just picked up a pair of boots at Joes for about $25 buck. They were about 40% off their regular price.

H

Hawk

I bought my Hodgman stockingfoot neoprene chest waders from WallyWorld (walmart)...:D... for $50. Feltsoled Hodgman boots were given to me. They should be about 2 sizes bigger then your normal boot size (to be able to fit comfortably over the wader foot). It's Best to try on the Boots while your wearing the Waders. For Proper Fit.....................:cool:.................:)

The main reason i wanted these neoprene waders is fer launching & retrieval of my boat in cold winter water...............:D

Best of Luck in yer search Bro...

O

OnTheFly

I'm looking to get a pair of chest waders to use with my pontoon float, and I've been considering the options. The ones with rubber boots attached seem to be the cheapest. I looked around some more and found these shoes, which I liked quite a bit because I can use them along with my wetsuit, not just for fishing:

Amazon.com: Men's Hodgman® Neoprene Wading Shoes Black: Shoes

My question is what type of waders are supposed to be used with these shoes? The only ones I've seen are either with rubber boots attached or with neoprene "socks" attached. I can understand wearing sock-bottom waders with boot-type wading shoes, but what kind of waders do you wear with neoprene shoes? I'd like to find a really cheap solution overall. i can get a set of cheap boot-bottom waders for about 60 bucks, so I'd like to stay around that price range for now. Maybe someday I'll get really serious about it and invest more.

To me, the neoprene wading shoe looks like a glorified Aqua Sock worn only for foot protection and traction in water. I don't believe these are ment to use with waders. The inline boot and stocking foot wader is all I know of.

Chest waders are not really neccessary on a pontoon boat but if you also bank fish they come in handy. On hot days you can unbuckle the shoulder straps and rebuckle them around your waist like a belt. Also consider lightweight breathables.

J

jmelinte

After doing some more research, I've decided on lightweight breathable stockingfoot waders. It seems the best option for my needs because I can throw on a pair of sweats underneath, and when I'm done, just take the waders off and head out. With neoprene ones, I'd have to do the whole wetsuit routine (undress, dry off, put on dry clothes and warm up). I really only want them for fall/spring fishing. In the summer, I can just wear a pair of shorts and some sandals.

T

The Nothing

Wonderful idea and i agree with you wholeheartedly

M

meluvtrout

I've got mine "New" off of Ebay for (I believe) $32 + $12 s&h. Search for Stearns Breathable Waders. There's one (size medium king) ending in 11 hrs that is currently at $19. Good luck!

J

jmelinte

I've got mine "New" off of Ebay for (I believe) $32 + $12 s&h. Search for Stearns Breathable Waders. There's one (size medium king) ending in 11 hrs that is currently at $19. Good luck!

I saw those, but the king ones are a bit big for me. the waist is listed as mid 40s-50ish. I've got my eye on a few other ones on ebay, though :)

F

fourgotten

I'll go along with "The Nothing" If you use neoprene or breathable waders you best bet for boots are the ones with felt bottoms. They come two ways, ones with studs and ones with out. If you wade any rocky bottom river you'll love them. If I'm wading and not usuing the drift boat I use the ones with the studded souls they give you real good traction. In the boat I use the other ones. My oldest son just picked up a pair of boots at Joes for about $25 buck. They were about 40% off their regular price.

OTOH, the felt soles are only superior for rocky bottoms. If you are on sandy bottoms, then lug soles excel. That's the beauty of the stocking-foot waders (BTW, Joe's has breathable ones for $65) - being able to change from lug to felt to studded...

O

OnTheFly

After doing some more research, I've decided on lightweight breathable stockingfoot waders. It seems the best option for my needs because I can throw on a pair of sweats underneath, and when I'm done, just take the waders off and head out. With neoprene ones, I'd have to do the whole wetsuit routine (undress, dry off, put on dry clothes and warm up). I really only want them for fall/spring fishing. In the summer, I can just wear a pair of shorts and some sandals.

You made an excellent choice:clap:. Breathables are great! Also, they make an under garment specificly for this type of wader that wicks persperation away better. It's like a pair of sweats but made out of a fleecey material. Real comfortable. Anyway, enjoy your waders

J

jmelinte

OTOH, the felt soles are only superior for rocky bottoms. If you are on sandy bottoms, then lug soles excel. That's the beauty of the stocking-foot waders (BTW, Joe's has breathable ones for $65) - being able to change from lug to felt to studded...

I checked Joe's, but all they have left is XL and up. I need an S pair :)

J

jmelinte

Just picked up a pair of Remington breathable chest waders on ebay for $22 shipped.

Top Bottom