Waders types and brands

K
kyfishfanatic
I'm just getting into flyfishing and now I'm considering buying some waders. Any suggestions on types(neoprene, hip, chest), and brands? I've been looking but the sizing for most of the waders I have come across concern me a little. I wear a size 13 shoe and I'm only finding size 12's until I'd get into sizes that would be big on me. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

kyfishfanatic

Here's to tight lines!

Last edited:
C
cchinook
waders

waders

waders are a long story , but here goes -- I have been fishing for 40 yrs. and own 2 sets , neoprene and breathable , both are chest waders , made by LaCrosse . neos are great when it is cold and nasty out , however above about 75 deg. it is like being in a sauna . They are also easy to repair with a patch kit. I wear thermal long-johns under them. Breathable waders are great when it is warm and you can wear them with bare legs as the fabric will not stick to your skin. They are difficult to repair. I would not buy the type of wader that already has the boot built on , just buy the wader and then wadding boots seperate. Sizing can be a challenge . I am 6'2' with a size 13 boot, not a good combination . First of all your boots should be at least 1 full size larger than your normal size to accomadate your waders, a pair of socks inside your waders AND a pair on the OUTSIDE of you waders to protect them from wearing holes in the heels from pounding the woods looking for fins.
Go to Fishermans Marine Supply and take your time making sure that everything fits , bring some socks with you. Do not forget gravel guards , a piece of stone can ruin the bootie in a hurry. All chest waders come with a wading belt , WEAR THEM ! If you fall into the river and your waders fill up, you will sink and not be fishing ever again . You can grab the belt and yank it tight with 1 hand - it will at least keep the water out for awhile. Also try to avoid the waders that use velcro straps - they wear out to fast , get the ones with the heavy plastic clips. Expect to pay about 70$ for the boots and
about 90$ for the neos , a little more for the breathables. You can also get this online at Cabelas , they have sizes to fit King- Kong . Whew! , I hope all that helps.

Reactions: Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Check the ads

Check the ads

kyfishfanatic said:
I'm just getting into flyfishing and now I'm considering buying some waders. Any suggestions on types(neoprene, hip, chest), and brands? I've been looking but the sizing for most of the waders I have come across concern me a little. I wear a size 13 shoe and I'm only finding size 12's until I'd get into sizes that would be big on me. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

kyfishfanatic

Here's to tight lines!

kyfishfanatic;
Check out JeannaJigs ad in the classified section.
Be safe.
Barb

F
fourgotten
cchinook said:
All chest waders come with a wading belt , WEAR THEM ! If you fall into the river and your waders fill up, you will sink and not be fishing ever again . You can grab the belt and yank it tight with 1 hand - it will at least keep the water out for awhile.

I have to dispute this myth... even if your waders WERE to fill with water, they would become neutrally buoyant... not negatively buoyant. Waders filled with water are not heavier than water (well, excepting the weight of the wader material unless it's neoprene which contains air bubbles and is positively bouyant by itself)

That said, however, definitely use the wading belt... 'cause if your waders fill with water, you will have a VERY unhappy slog once you get out of the water. Besides... if they are dry inside, they are positively buoyant and help you float.

kirkster
kirkster
fourgotten said:
I have to dispute this myth... even if your waders WERE to fill with water, they would become neutrally buoyant... not negatively buoyant. Waders filled with water are not heavier than water (well, excepting the weight of the wader material unless it's neoprene which contains air bubbles and is positively bouyant by itself)

That said, however, definitely use the wading belt... 'cause if your waders fill with water, you will have a VERY unhappy slog once you get out of the water. Besides... if they are dry inside, they are positively buoyant and help you float.

Hey forgotten, If you believe this to be a myth fill a bucket with water set it in the river and see if it floats.lol Once your waders fill up the water becomes neutrally equal not buoyant. Because i dont think us as people are buoyant to start with so once the water in your waders equalizes with the water outside your waders the weight of your body will sink. you wont sink fast just watch how fast the bucket sinks. all depends on how heavy the bucket is. So with waders it all depends on the weight of the person.

N
nointrntrprts
either

either

if i had a choice to own either neo's or breathables, it would be the breathables. you can always layer, and they are waayyy more comfortable. I own both and use the neo's as loaners for buddies that dont have their own.

personal choice though, and dont get the ones with built in boots as already mentioned....

good luck!

F
fourgotten
kirkster said:
Hey forgotten, If you believe this to be a myth fill a bucket with water set it in the river and see if it floats.lol Once your waders fill up the water becomes neutrally equal not buoyant. Because i dont think us as people are buoyant to start with so once the water in your waders equalizes with the water outside your waders the weight of your body will sink. you wont sink fast just watch how fast the bucket sinks. all depends on how heavy the bucket is. So with waders it all depends on the weight of the person.

A living, breathing person (especially a heavier one) is positively buoyant.

Breathable waders full of water DO become neutrally buoyant, while neoprene waders full of water remain positively buoyant. Neutrally buoyant waders couldn't drag a person down, because they are neutrally buoyant, not negatively buoyant.

If you fill a positively buoyant bucket with water, and drop it in the water, it'll still float. A human being in flowing water might float or sink, depending on their actions, but waders shouldn't (generally) hinder a person's attempts to swim.