Volkswagen Fox

T

TTFishon

I'm thinking about getting a used Volkswagen Fox. Has anyone on here owned one before and if so was it a good car?

H

halibuthitman

I currently own an 06 passat, it has never been to the shop in 98,000 miles, the 03 passat before that broke randomly but was ok.. the jetta prior to that was an absolutely guttless piece of **** and broke at least once a tank of gas... moral of the story... the low end vw's are pieces of dookie and I would never recomend one... but thats just a theory of mine, in january my passat is going to magicaly turn into a new volvo..

D

dude young

O-yea. Had an '89 fox wagon, 4spd. manual. Great car. Same 1.8l as all the other V-dubs with one exception. The engine is longitudinally mounted. The guts are the same as all the others, but the accessories might be a bit different. The 4spd. was a bit gutless, but I averaged 30 mpg, mixed driving, so I did not complain. I just compensated by winding 1st gear to 30 and 2nd to 60. Not recommended, but I fix what I break. If it is a wagon, it is a gem. You can put a full sized laundry machine in the back. Also sleeps 2 comfortably. The tailgate swings up for a nice rain cover. Oh, I loved that car. I put a set of BFG snow tires on it and NEVER got stuck in the worst New Hampshire snows and took it down several logging trails to access honey holes.

I disagree with HHM, but for one exception. There was a string of V-dubs (Gen 3, 1993-1999.5) that should be avoided like the plague. Especially the ones built in Mexico. But, the Fox, I believe was always built in Brazil. My '01 Golf was built at the same facility, has 160k and I have put less than $3000 into repairs. I bought it new. I am on my 9th VW and will certainly have many more.

PM me some more info about the car and I can try to give you some advice on it.

H

halibuthitman

mine was a mexican built jetta... I will say that all the german built vw I have owned have been amazing cars.. and I would recomend one over just about any comparably priced car.

D

dude young

o, for sure. my '87 gti and '86 scirocco were both built in Germany.When I sold the gti to my friend it had 256k on the 1.8l. He continued to commute 150 miles a day for at least two years. That car got almost 50mpg traveling from my folks house to college (almost all highway).

I should temper my enthusiasm though. One thing that must be clear... ...you are either Volkswagen people, or you are NOT Volkswagen people. They can be a quirky animal. Sometimes lights don't work, windows don't roll down, door handles break, they run funny cold, they run funny hot, the stereo cuts out, and the sunroof might leak. But they will get you home, and they often fix themselves if you give them time.

Last edited:
H

halibuthitman

ha ha ha... man it was a vw fanatic just like you that got me to buy my first... it wasn't bad advice..

T

The Nothing

I've had, um, 13 VWs from 1979-1991 and loved most of them. I did have a Fox. It was an 87 or 88, I don't exactly recall. Everything stated here is pretty much right on.

as for the "don't run it out of gas" comment, that's BS. not a problem with running these cars out of gas.

The VW 4cyl motor is a frieght train. Infact, its so good, VW has been using the same block since 1979 (with the 1.7L) to current day motors. Make sure it has manual everything, and you won't have any problems.

Avoid automatics. They've all been horrible.

C

ChezJfrey

Agree about the reliability of the German VW built rigs. Not related to a Fox, but I've had two Passats, a 1999 and a 2004. Both were great. At most, I had to replace an alternator in one of them; but that's an inevitability in any car given enough running time.

As for halibuthitman's soon turning into a Volvo...I'd much rather have that magic turn it into an Audi! :)

H

halibuthitman

yeah there has been a year worth of volvo Vs audi.... and the wife has prevailed:shock:

T

TTFishon

It's a 1991, fuel injection, front wheel drive, manual transmission. Couldn't get the miles because the odometer's broken. And it has had only one owner. I work with the guy and trust him so I think I'm going to get it.

T

The Nothing

Broken odometer is a very common issue. I'd have to look around a bit, but I think I have the bently shop manual around here. also have a few parts around should ya need them. I dunno what the price is, but i'd likely feel pretty good about it

T

TTFishon

Broken odometer is a very common issue. I'd have to look around a bit, but I think I have the bently shop manual around here. also have a few parts around should ya need them. I dunno what the price is, but i'd likely feel pretty good about it

Price is $500.00 It's missing the grill and it has a busted tail light.

Last edited: