Visiting Oregon, Need advice

C
cruiserboswells
I will be visiting Oregon next week and am trying to find a few places to camp/fish, preferably river fishing. I would like to stay somewhere in the Bend/La Pine/Mackenzie area, we have a Fifth wheel so I will be needing a rv type park for camping but not worried about having any full hookups. I am set up to wade in and fly fish (mostly nymph) for trout, Any advice? Thanks!

Irishrover
Irishrover
North of Klamath Falls on Hwy 97 is Collier State Park. It has access to Spring creek and the Williamson river. Good fly water and camp ground. Continue north on Hwy 97 and hit the Fall River. Camp at the Fall River camp ground. You would be right in the area to hit the upper Descutes Don't bother hitting the Crooked river this time of year. It's hot orver in this area now so keep that in mind. If you need directions lets us know there are a lot of guy here who should be able to help.

Long light leaders on Spring Creek, Williamson and Fall River.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Fall River...

Fall River...

You have to pay a visit to Fall River in Central Oregon..Egg patterns; it is a must. Trust me you will have memories burned into your mind.
Plenty of water to fish in your general area, Deschutes above and below Wickiup and Crane are great this time of year.. Brookies on drys; Hoppers :dance: Lot of small lakes with plenty of shore access. Good luck and tight lines.

Chuck

O
Outdrsmn
You can pull your trailer in to tamola (spelling) state park. between sisters and bend. Dechutes is right there. Fishing is pretty good. Good for kids to swim around. they should have full hook ups. Metoulis is down the road a ways. tough fishing, but its a place you should see if youre coming here. Go to the fly fishers place in sisters. Good guys and will hook you up with info and what you need. If you decide to come closer to the mckenzie let me know i can hook you up with what flies and where.

C
cruiserboswells
Thanks! I was able to reserve a spot on the Mckenzie at Paradise Camp so will be staying on the river for 1 night. I am not sure how fishable that area is though??

O
Outdrsmn
There are trout in there it just fast moving water that far up. I can not help you with any wading spots up there. you have to just find small pockets and breaks in the water. Try small caddis, i think green drakes are doing pretty good for dries. Nymph and prince nymph or possie bugger is my favorite. That high up though you should do decent with dries all day. There is no stocking that far up so it will be all natives. If you want to fish some lakes up that way there are trailbridge, carmen, smith, and clear lake. Look them up.

T
ToLiveIsToFlyFish
Outdrsmn said:
You can pull your trailer in to tamola (spelling) state park. between sisters and bend. Dechutes is right there. Fishing is pretty good. Good for kids to swim around. they should have full hook ups. Metoulis is down the road a ways. tough fishing, but its a place you should see if youre coming here. Go to the fly fishers place in sisters. Good guys and will hook you up with info and what you need. If you decide to come closer to the mckenzie let me know i can hook you up with what flies and where.

FYI, the spot between Bend and Sisters is Tumalo State Park

C
cruiserboswells
I scored a spot a Tumalo also, looks like the kids will have fun there too..