Visiting Oregon for Fly Fishing

C
cruiserboswells
Hi All,

We (the wife and kids) are planning a family trip through Oregon next summer. I am an avid Flyfisherman, mainly fishing the Provo River Tailwaters here in Utah. I would like to strategically plan our camp stops at good wade in fishing areas on trout rivers. I was wondering if anyone could offer up a few suggestions for places to stay in campgrounds with good river access. We have a Camper on the truck that we will be camping with but we arent looking for full hookups or any luxury camping. Thank you for any information!

Casey

Irishrover
Irishrover
Casey,
Which route are you planning on taking? If you are coming through I-84 via Boise you might head south out of Ontario to the Owyhee River north of Owyhee Reservior. If you plan on heading north on I-84, the guy with the best information for that area on this site is "Joesuffy".

A lot depends on which part of the summer you are planning your trip and what route you plan to take. There are tons of places that fit what you are looking for. The Donner & Blitzen, the Chewaucan, the Crooked, the Fall, the Deschutes,the John Day, the Metolius and the list goes on.

Lets us know when and which way you are headed and we can fill in the blanks, and welcome to the site. Tight lines;) Irishrover

J
joesnuffy
there is lots of fly water over here in Eastern Oregon, just depends on how much you want to travel around and what you are after. I'd recomend a float tube, pontoon boat and kyak to help you on the most productive water.

C
cruiserboswells
thanks guys! I will put together a route plan I may only get to hit a few rivers so I wanted to make sure that I make it to some good water. We will probably be heading up there in mid July. I will check back in when I have some more details. Thanks again!

B
bendflyguy
I'd definitely hit the Deschutes near Maupin. It's a great river, and a must for any fly fisherman visiting Oregon.

C
cruiserboswells
Thanks! I will add that to the list..

Troutski
Troutski
Fall River

Fall River

If you are going to be in the a area anyway....you must try the Fall River, plenty of camping opportunities along with plenty of family things in the area. Once you get a handle on your route and itinerary penciled in let us know...Oh and welcome to OFF...

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
The Fall River was nice and I'd probably go back, the problem is the amount of people fishing there.......

Eastern Oregon has the Owyhee River. German Browns and Rainbows.