Visiting OR, want sturgeon

C
carpflyguy
Hi guys,

I'm coming to OR in August, and want to do a day of Sturgeon fishing. Can anybody recommend a guide somewhere remotely near Portland? I'm willing to drive if needed. The one thing is, I'll be fishing with some of my grandkids, who are 13 and 16, and I'd like to make sure they can at least get a shift fighting a sturgeon. I'm sure most guides won't let a small 13 year old fight an 8+ foot sturgeon, so are there any rivers that have smaller sturgeon around this time? I saw a TV episode on the Rougue River where they caught some in the 5 foot range- are there any guides around here? Thanks in advance

B
Big3d
Where in Oregon will you be staying? If you're in the portland area, look up marvins guide service. I can't help with info for the rogue, but maybe someone down south can help out with that.

B
bagold53
I am sure that you can find a guide for sturgeon in the Portland area. Unfortunately I don't know any names. I am sure someone will chime in and get you the info you are looking for. I have not gone sturgeon fishing mainly because I don't know of any place that I can keep one. MMMMhhmm yummy sturgeon.

C
carpflyguy
Okay, I believe I've found a guide in OR. Trophy sturgeon and keeper sturgeon year round. It will be the prime time for trophy sturgeon when I'm there, and not as much for keepers but they can still be caught.

So a question for anyone who's caught them- with young kids, am I better off going for the keepers (slightly slower) or the bigguns (in the prime time)? Can kids handle a shift with the big ones, or will the be pulled in? Lol.

J
JonT
Marvin catches them while others don't.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I think the kids would have more fun with legals and shakers. I hooked a 10' sturgeon and it really wasn't that much fun. I worked it with 3 other guys and it still took an hour and a half to get it to the boat.

My $.02

O
OnTheDrop
PM me if you want a good Sturgeon guide..

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Thanks JonT I appreciate you giving my name.

C
carpflyguy
Turns out I may not be going to OR after all. I'll see closer to the summer. Still hoping I will. Thanks for the help so far everyone!