Visiting Manzanita, fishing the Nehalem

V
vansalmonid
I will be visiting Manzanita on the weekend of October 7 - 10 and want to do some fishing in the Nehalem R. I'm coming down from Vancouver, BC.

I enjoy river fishing in my waders with gear and a float.

Do any of you local anglers have any advice for me?
-- What is the condition of the river now? What are your expectations for the fall season?
-- Is there a bait ban on the Nehalem? What colors work? I usually fish pink, chartreuse or green wool in BC rivers. Or roe. Sometimes a spinner. Occasionally a 4" pink work.
-- Do you have any fishing maps or books specific to Oregon that you would recommend? Does anybody have the energy to scan a couple pages about the Nehalem for me?
-- Are there some good spots to try? Some good places to enter the river, and hike? How far from Manzanita will I have to travel to find some holes?
-- Are there any local angers who might want to show me around, but not necessarily "guide" me...?
-- Is there a local tackle shop I should make sure to visit?

Lots of questions, I know... but I am a sponge for learning this stuff and really appreciate anybody's energy to respond.

Thanks, and happy fishing.

--Tyler

H
halibuthitman
p.m sent

V
vansalmonid
Rattler – Thanks for the heads up. Nice to know you guys have some retention of wild coho. Good stuff.

I was at my local (Vancouver) tackle shop the other day, and another angler was talking about fishing the Nehalem, but unfortunately, he wasn't able to / didn't want to give me too many specifics... The one thing he did tell me is that from the CC Bridge to Foley Creek was a good area to fish. Any thoughts on that? Are there any public access places you recommend I get into the river?

Thanks
--Tyler

R
Rattler
Nehalem

Nehalem

Sorry I can't help on the info it will be my first time in over 30 years
on the Nehalem. I'm just going to find some old local and do every thing wrong.
90% of the time they will share their secrets.
If you see me out there say HI I'm running a 17' Smokercraft on the lower bay
I'm planing on runnig a chartrues wobbler a foot of the bottom seems to **** off everything.

Reactions: n8r1
V
vansalmonid
Hi Rattler – I'll keep my eyes open for your boat.

I'm planning on fishing on Saturday and Sunday, and get down early enough on Friday that I hope to be able to do a little scouting, too.

Good luck fishing!

--Tyler