Vise and Material acquired.

T
Troutier Bassier
I now posses a vise. :shock::shock: thats right. Its the coolest thing ever. Its a little vise that I can fold and put in a little box. haha. I also have Marabou, Chenille, Dubbing, and Rubber Legs.
And when I get home from fishing tomorrow, The next two days shall be devoted to a mass production of hand crafted Marabou jigs in my very own sweatshop! :D fun fun!

Happy New Years everyone!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Alright!! Man, when you hook the first fish on a fly or jig you not only tied but designed you will find an accomplishment like none other!!!!

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah I can't wait to hook something UP! :)
Can anyone give me some ideas on stuff to tie other then Basic Marabou jigs??

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
fJust start making stuff!! Practice your material techniques, but don't waste too much. Gather up stuff other than what you bought specifically for flies. It can be hair from a brush, carpet fuzz, parakeet feathers, anything. Just start putting stuff on a hook. It will give you ideas, experience with odd materials (which you will run into) and actual affixing techniques! Thread is cheep!

F
FishFinger
Welcome to the best hobby you will ever have!

Remember proportions are important, tails/ bodies/ hook shanks are are relative ratios.

Sometimes they have no tails, only a dash of color.

A few items to add to your never ending shopping list....

Schlappen
#2 grade saddle hackle
Crystal flash
4 strand floss

Choose your own color patterns, think florescence and contrast, against the resident environment as well as the jigs features.

Have fun and post pictures

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
One big tip, is this: When you place materials either on the very top of the hook or the very bottom, cinch the thread down on the material by only pulling directly up or directly down. If you place material on the top or bottom and try to pull the thread towards you or away, the material will be much more likely to spin out of position.

C
Chedster
The opportunities are endless when it comes to tying patterns. Try taking standard fly patterns and turning them into a jig...Think wooly bugger jigs. I use mostly schlappen for the tail and various types of dubbing and hackle for the body.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
If you break a thread (and your jig doesn't just completely explode lol) don't panic!!!! Get something small you can clamp onto the end of the thread that is hanging from the hook. I use hackle pliers. This will hold it in position while you wrap the new start over the section you broke off. Then you simply continue onward form that point.

Also, take your various types of thread, attach them to the hook with your bobbin and intentionally break them off so you know how much pressure the various types can handle before snapping.

Last edited:
S
skunk
Troutier Bassier said:
I now posses a vise. :shock::shock: thats right. Its the coolest thing ever. Its a little vise that I can fold and put in a little box. haha. I also have Marabou, Chenille, Dubbing, and Rubber Legs.
And when I get home from fishing tomorrow, The next two days shall be devoted to a mass production of hand crafted Marabou jigs in my very own sweatshop! :D fun fun!

Happy New Years everyone!

Your are done for now, soon you'll never want to stop and add up the amount spent on tying materials! Way to go, have fun with it.