Video: Walter Wirth catfishing

B
bigfootfish
Went up to Walter Wirth Pond in Salem last night. Fished off the Handicapped deck for Channel Cats. Caught a few small Channel and mostly Yellowbellies. I got 3 and my kid got 4. I just noticed I said it was Saturday night in the first video. It was Friday night. Duh:doh:!!!

[YOUTUBE]mcd3CEA0JrU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DJeps4I-vXc[/YOUTUBE]

BFF

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Ive never cat fished. It sounds fun. What kind of set up do you use? Bait

B
bigfootfish
what to use catfishing

what to use catfishing

First of all, Walter Wirth Pond at Cascade Gateway Park, which is the street just past Walmart in Salem by the airport is a Salem City Park, is open until Midnight. Cool. Nice of Salem to do that!
Anyway, use worms and make sure the hook is buried in the worm. Raw shrimp works, chicken livers, even Ivory soap. The smellier:shock: the better. A 38 pound Channel Cat was caught out of W. W. a few years back. ODFW stocks baby Channel Cats in W. Wirth, Walling Pond, Pond # 6 at St. Louis Ponds north of Salem near Gervais, Bond Butte Pond near exit 209 on I-5, to name a few. Most sporting goods stores carry clip-on shake and break glow sticks like you saw in my vid. They come in really handy to let you know you have a bite. Great way to beat the heat, too. Enjoy!! Good luck!

BFF

D
Drew9870
Those Cats are everywhere in that lake, I've never caught one bigger than 8-10 inches, but the rig does not have to be anything specific, all you really need is a worm and a hook, if you were gonna use weight, I would say a 1/8 - 1/4 oz slide sinker. Even if you were doing something wrong, I don't see how you couldn't catch a cat from walter.

I still try time to time for one of those Channels in the lake.

M
Metz84
Thats aswesome I never knew it was open till midnight! Ive even caught one their in the back near the island with a roostertail. I fish that place a lot mostly in the winter and spring but before I could drive I would walk there.

T
troutmasta
Thank you!!!! Looks like im OFF to salem!

T
troutmasta
What are the regs for the cat fish in w.w lake. Size and bag limit ect.?

M
Mattdm22
There is no limit on size or number kept. :)

T
troutmasta
Went last night caught 5! The biggest was about 8 or 9 inches. Is that the norm. Is there a good spot to hit to find some decent ones? Thanks for all the help!!! -TM

M
Metz84
troutmasta said:
Went last night caught 5! The biggest was about 8 or 9 inches. Is that the norm. Is there a good spot to hit to find some decent ones? Thanks for all the help!!! -TM

Were you on the handicap dock? If you were that was my bro and I that came up and asked if you had any luck. 8 or 9 is about the norm. What bait were you using? There are bigger ones in there, Ive caught um. You could try the other side of the lake, Ive had a lot of luck on that side.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Metz84 said:
Were you on the handicap dock? If you were that was my bro and I that came up and asked if you had any luck. 8 or 9 is about the norm. What bait were you using? There are bigger ones in there, Ive caught um. You could try the other side of the lake, Ive had a lot of luck on that side.
We were right next to it. I saw the people you are talking about. We used worms. They killed em. We fished for about an hour and i caught five. Everyone we were with caught at least one. I think ill try the far end next time with some big tackle and bait and just hang out and wait for a while for a big one while I catch little ones with my other rod (2 pole license!:D). Thanks for all the help. We'll have to hook up and figure out how to nail the big ones sometime!

M
Metz84
troutmasta said:
We were right next to it. I saw the people you are talking about. We used worms. They killed em. We fished for about an hour and i caught five. Everyone we were with caught at least one. I think ill try the far end next time with some big tackle and bait and just hang out and wait for a while for a big one while I catch little ones with my other rod (2 pole license!:D). Thanks for all the help. We'll have to hook up and figure out how to nail the big ones sometime!

I agree bigger bait, bigger fish. I think my bro and I are gonna try again tonight since its not too far from my house.

T
troutmasta
Metz84 said:
I agree bigger bait, bigger fish. I think my bro and I are gonna try again tonight since its not too far from my house.

Right on bro. If I dont have to work tommorrow (find out this evening) Ill see you down there.

D
Drew9870
Was out last night until 10:00pm, caught a 2.5lb sucker and 15 inch Squaw from the Creek during the daytime, and a baby Catfish from Walter (came on bread under a float :lol:), I had a couple takes on a bluegill fillet, but probably just little ones tearing it up. I banked it under the Willow tree across from the boat ramp, Mattdm22 was close by, and wasn't doing any worse than I was.

Looks like Walter Wirth will be a prime Carp spot here in a few years, I see tons of babies, and there are very little Bass to keep the population in check :pray::lol:.

Save the boos, maybe this whole Carp outbreak will actually motivate ODFW to restore the lake, I can't believe people let their kids bathe in that nasty stuff, isn't there a no swimming sign?

Troutmasta, was that you on the wooden dock?

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Drew9870 said:
Was out last night until 10:00pm, caught a 2.5lb sucker and 15 inch Squaw from the Creek during the daytime, and a baby Catfish from Walter (came on bread under a float :lol:), I had a couple takes on a bluegill fillet, but probably just little ones tearing it up. I banked it under the Willow tree across from the boat ramp, Mattdm22 was close by, and wasn't doing any worse than I was.

Looks like Walter Wirth will be a prime Carp spot here in a few years, I see tons of babies, and there are very little Bass to keep the population in check :pray::lol:.

Save the boos, maybe this whole Carp outbreak will actually motivate ODFW to restore the lake, I can't believe people let their kids bathe in that nasty stuff, isn't there a no swimming sign?

Troutmasta, was that you on the wooden dock?

didn't make it out last night. The lady said "We had to spend time together" (whatever that means) So I was like "We will......fishing"!
She said "Uh no....." That did it for me. I really am going to try to make it out tonight. Ill be driving a green land rover if you see it feel free to just yell "TROUTMASTA!!!!!!" and i'll come running! JK, but if my truck is there im there. would love to meet some more late night catfishers. TM

S
sgrunig
I will be out there tonight. :) using 2 poles. ;) Not sure on what spot, but I will be out there, leaving now. :)

B
bigfootfish
A 38 pound Channel Cat was caught out of W.W. a few years back. Walling Pond has Ch. Cats in it too, which is close by. Almost every Salem City Park is open until Midnight. Salem has the right attitude!

BFF

M
Metz84
bigfootfish said:
A 38 pound Channel Cat was caught out of W.W. a few years back. Walling Pond has Ch. Cats in it too, which is close by. Almost every Salem City Park is open until Midnight. Salem has the right attitude!

BFF

I believe Walling Pond closes an hour after sunset. I believe there is a sign that says that. Unless its changed recently...

B
bigfootfish
Metz84 said:
I believe Walling Pond closes an hour after sunset. I believe there is a sign that says that. Unless its changed recently...

You're probably right, since Walling Pond is owned by the Walling Family and is not a Salem City Park. I wasn't sure what times if any the Walling's may have set, since they have been nice enough to let the public fish their lake.

BFF