Video on how to work a jig for kokanee.

T
The Lucky Duck
OK folks let's try this again. I didn't mean to stir up such a fuss. If things go well this year I will have more and hopefully much better video and I will gladly post for you. I built this jig tank last winter and have had a lot of fun and learned a bunch about how jigs work. Keep in mind all these tricks can be accomplished with virtually ANY jig. It is my opinion that ripping a jig radically excites the bite, but to catch one you have to stop the jig or slow the fall down. This is accomplished by loading corn on the hook for a parachute affect and flipping the jig over so that the front of the jig is heavier and pulls down on the line more allowing it to fall horizontally rather than a fast vertical fall. Another trick is to put a mild bend in the jig. I used all of these tricks to make this video. Keep in mind the deeper the water the more line drag so just because it does it in the tank doesn't mean it will look the same at 100 feet. Having a stiff rod helps.

My videos are designed to help out folks new to the sport and promote a more positive fishing environment by building relationships with fellow anglers:). I have a day job, I'm a fiber optic contractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puk2uMCfPvI

Reactions: rogerdodger
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I approve of this message! :)

Thanks for posting!

troutdude
troutdude
Most excellent. But do they come, in black and orange? <ha ha>

But seriously, have you tried black for real? I've done very well, with black spinners, for fall nooks. So I really do want to know, if your black jigs work on kokes?

Sidebar: ever caught any chinokanee, while using your jigs?

T
The Lucky Duck
troutdude said:
Most excellent. But do they come, in black and orange? <ha ha>

But seriously, have you tried black for real? I've done very well, with black spinners, for fall nooks. So I really do want to know, if your black jigs work on kokes?

Sidebar: ever caught any chinokanee, while using your jigs?

We are not prejudice on The Lucky Duck, in fact my Beaver brother always has orange on when aboard. I am not a big believer in terminal tackle or color, I think it is more about finding them with your electronics and getting the presentation they are wanting. That being said I have had some good days with black jigs, some of my best jigs have very little paint left on them, (lead color).

But black and orange----------------maybe not.

M
montym
Awesome stuff, thank you.

Monty

jamisonace
jamisonace
What is causing the different action? Different jigs, rigged different or jigged different?

I'm so ignorant when it comes to lake fishing but I'm determined to get some kokes this year.

Last edited:
N
Norfolk-N-Waypal
I am also new to this forum, but I like the banter on several of the Lucky Duck threads. GO BEAVERS!!!

T
The Lucky Duck
jamisonace said:
What is causing the different action? Different jigs, rigged different or jigged different?

I'm so ignorant when it comes to lake fishing but I'm determined to get some kokes this year.

Same jig.
1. bending the jig will allow it to" turn over" with less rip speed and it will aid in letting it fall in a horizontal position.
2. Applying more corn will give more "parachute" effect told hold the back of the jig up allowing the nose to drop.
3. Flipping the jig will make the front of the jig heavier assisting in the horizontal fall.
4. With a stiff rod you can control the rip and stay in touch with the jig on the fall.
Hope this helps.

troutdude
troutdude
The Lucky Duck said:
We are not prejudice on The Lucky Duck, in fact my Beaver brother always has orange on when aboard. I am not a big believer in terminal tackle or color, I think it is more about finding them with your electronics and getting the presentation they are wanting. That being said I have had some good days with black jigs, some of my best jigs have very little paint left on them, (lead color).

But black and orange----------------maybe not.

LOL Great reply! Keep up the great work--and for wanting to help others, catch more feesh!

C_Run
C_Run
I appreciate the video. This will be my fourth year fishing kokanee and have had only some limited success with jigs thus far. Been mainly long lining in the early season but will try to mix up the jig presentation this time and keep my line in the water, fingers crossed. How is the size of the kokes at Green Peter this year?

J
JeannaJigs
Good stuff. The problem I ran into jigging over the years at O'Dell is that I don't have an adequate rod for it. It's way too soft (works great trolling) but I get poor jig control with it. Hoping to get some early season fishing in up there while they're still keyed in on jigs, before the blue green algae takes over, and you know it will because they didn't have any snow at the lake all year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

T
The Lucky Duck
C_Run said:
I appreciate the video. This will be my fourth year fishing kokanee and have had only some limited success with jigs thus far. Been mainly long lining in the early season but will try to mix up the jig presentation this time and keep my line in the water, fingers crossed. How is the size of the kokes at Green Peter this year?
Kokes were 8-9 inches and skinny, There is a video of a Green Peter koke hitting a jig on this forum.

JeannaJigs said:
Good stuff. The problem I ran into jigging over the years at O'Dell is that I don't have an adequate rod for it. It's way too soft (works great trolling) but I get poor jig control with it. Hoping to get some early season fishing in up there while they're still keyed in on jigs, before the blue green algae takes over, and you know it will because they didn't have any snow at the lake all year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
We use a 6 foot or 6ft 6in extra fast, med or med-light rod. They are hard to find. A bass drop shot rod is the closest specs.

jhop111
jhop111
Kokes at Gp are again this year running stunted as lucky duck mentioned. A decent rod I jig with is the okuma celio koke pro casting rod. I picked up two at bimart on sale and paired them with citrix reels with 8 lb braid blood knotted in a mono top shot.

F
fish face
Lucky Duck, I watched your video but I was in taken back by the back ground. If you filmed this in your garage, then you are indeed a "lucky" duck. WOW! BTW, last year I used a green kokanator and did fairly well. Of course that can change this year. Thanks for the Video.