[YOUTUBE]XKMe0F7ywuM[/YOUTUBE]

BFF

M
Mike123
How was the fishing in all of these videos!? :think:

B
bigfootfish
Mike123,
Horrible! Naw, just kidding. It depends. It's not that easy sometimes to take a video while playing a fish. Anatoliy asked all of us awhile back if any of us could post photos or vids of streams and/or lakes, so as to give our fellow OFFers a preview of those lakes or streams. I'm glad to help out. I would mostly take a pic of my catch afterwards. I have lots of fish pics, but the files are mostly too big for OFF. I've tried to upload enough pics only to have the site say the attempt failed. I'll figure it out without having to crop my pics down so as to lower the file size.
I've been a trout fisherman mostly, catching steelhead trout while trying for their smaller cousins. I used to catch coho like crazy long ago, when you could fish Fall Creek on the Alsea in September. I've only caught a few chinook in my life, the last one trolling homeade spinners on the Yaquina River from a friends boat. Two in one day that time. A 35 pounder was the biggest. What a fish!
This year I finally bought a steelhead/salmon pole and have been trying for both. I have lots to learn and our fellow OFFers are a fantastic fountain of knowledge.
The Collowash is a stream that I haven't had a lot of success on, yet not too far away on the Upper Clack I can nail 'em with lures like crazy.
The catch & release rule change on most streams enacted over ten years ago has really made a difference in the numbers and size of our local non-searun trout. I've caught wild, perfect finned rainbows in the 18 to 20 inch range quite a bit this year on the North & South Santiams. Had to let 'em go according to the rules. I did catch a non-searun rainbow on the North Santiam that was 20 and 1/2 inches long, which meant I could tag it as a steelhead, according to the regs. I let it go. It was such a fighter and jumped so many times I was amazed I landed it. Out of respect and pure admiration for that fish I let it go. Felt good!:dance:
I don't know if you saw my thread about brown trout? It has a pic or two. Got lucky with one photo the other two I had to crop to upload. Go to Trout fishing in Oregon and on page 2 or 3 look for my thread titled Brown Trout anyone? As I said I'm working on pics.
The rule change this year allowing two fish per day(as long as they're fin-clipped)on the Santiams was cool. The fish in question are escapees from the reservoirs upstream on both the N. & S. Forks Santiam. These fish are surprising fighters!

BFF

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Try uploading your pics onto Photobucket.com
Then you can resize to fit them on here and it will give you the IMG code to copy and paste.. really good and easy site. I'd like to see some sweet fish pics!

F
Fishtopher
i love it up there! beautiful country!

O
OnTheFly
The water up there is as clear as gin therefore, in my opinion, making the fish a little more wary about anything so fishing the faster water would probably be better. Just up stream from Bigfootfish video, the road crosses the river and the water dumps into a large pool. I've picked up a couple there by drifting a caddis fly in at that spot. The riffles above that is good too.:)

B
bigfootfish
Mike 123 & OnTheFly

Mike 123 & OnTheFly

OTF, that good advice. It was all, or most of it declared a new wilderness area by Congress this year!
Mike123, I've been working on the pics of fish upload problems. I hope these are allowed. I'm just going to try to post a couple fur starters, as I assume Anatoliy will move them elsewhere. Here they come(I hope).

BFF

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Mike123
Cool! Where did you get that cutthroat at?! I'm so used to seeing coastal cutts in all the streams around here.

D
DirectDrive
I caught the incurable steelheader disease on the Collowash while fishing for trout, behind the Raab camp in 1975. Epic battle, Mr. Big won :D
Thanks for that post.

I would think that the Collowash would be closed this time of the year and more restricted later on to trout fishing in order to protect native winter steelhead.
The fish that I tangled with was a summer, back when they were being planted. The Clackamas system does not have a native summer run and the bios finally determined that it is bad to let the man-made summer run mix (compete) with the native winters.

Irfanview is a great, free image handler that can convert and resize photos for forum or email purposes. You could also scan old photos to it and re-print. The learning curve isn't too bad.
I would determine the optimum size for this forum, resize to that and for easy transmission, would probably convert to .jpg
IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

DD
Whose pop-up blocker sometimes goes crazy on Photo-Bucket hosted stuff :(

Last edited:
B
bigfootfish
That Cutthroat?

That Cutthroat?

Thanks people for the good info and sharing. IrFanView sounds worth checking out also, along with Photobucket.
That particular long-bodied CT is a Lahontan Cutt from Mann Lake, over on the other side of the Steens.

BFF

B
beaverfan
I've been meaning to check out the Collawash a little more than I have. How do you get to this area?

Yes I know it's closed I'm thinking next summer.

O
OnTheFly
Collawash

Collawash

beaverfan said:
I've been meaning to check out the Collawash a little more than I have. How do you get to this area?

Yes I know it's closed I'm thinking next summer.

Easy! Take 224 out of Estacada. 224 turns into 46 past Ripplebrook campground. Keep going down 46 and turn right onto 63 just after Riverside campground and you're there!:)

B
bigfootfish
Collowash..

Collowash..

Yeppers. Where you turn onto 63, that spot is called Two Rivers, and that's where the Collowash and Upper Clackamas meet.
I've actually seen Collowash spelled Collawash. On different maps and map systems. During summer you can also get there from Detroit, paved the whole way.. A nice ride and you come down the Clackamas on the way to Two Rivers. Lots of lakes to divert to on that run too.

BFF

Last edited: