Vicinity of Salem area - fly waters that look like this (video)

M
Michael
Ok, don't laugh because I know how vague of a question this is, but here goes...

I live in Salem and am looking for a body of water.

Waters that are knee to waist deep that I can stand in all day long and practice my casting. Honestly, I really don't care what it is that I catch right now. I'm not a keeper, I'm a C&R guy. I just want to go to the equivalent of a fishing "batting cage" or "driving range". Of course if I were catching trout than of course that would be awesome. But I'm just looking to get some experience and get out on the water and I don't really know where to go. One of my first thought was the very south end of Walter Wirth. Looks like I could wade out a ways and cast to the brushy shores. That's lake/pond water, but.. there's fewer things to snag my line in, right?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

A
autofisher
If you're looking to be able to wade out in the water and wet your line, WW is alright. If you want to hit a river, the North Santiam State Park actually has some good river water for you to fish and have a decent chance of getting into fish as well. Plenty of room and quite a few pools to pick apart. If you're looking for smaller water, you can try the Salmon later this year, Eagle Creek, to name a few. I'm sure that the fly fishermen have quite a few secret spots, but there are a couple that should get you started.

M
Michael
That's great AutoFisher. Thank you. I googled some images of the park and water looks great. I'm excited to head out there and try my hand. Thanks for the info.

troutdude
troutdude
If you'd like to venture out...Alton Baker Canal in Eugene is a good bet. Not really for wading so much, but plenty of "open air" so you don't need snagged in trees and bushes. Plus, there are nice trout in there and and occasional steelie too.

AB Canal/Park is located right next to and behind Autzen Stadium.

P.S. You can view the ABC threads on here, to learn more.

M
Michael
troutdude said:
If you'd like to venture out...Alton Baker Canal in Eugene is a good bet. Not really for wading so much, but plenty of "open air" so you don't need snagged in trees and bushes. Plus, there are nice trout in there and and occasional steelie too.

AB Canal/Park is located right next to and behind Autzen Stadium.

P.S. You can view the ABC threads on here, to learn more.

Sweet Dude, thanks.

My Dad lives in Eugene so I go down there pretty regularly.

troutdude
troutdude
Michael said:
Sweet Dude, thanks.

My Dad lives in Eugene so I go down there pretty regularly.

That'll work out good for ya...cool.

I've heard that the "Eastgate Woodlands" area is good for fly fishing (and not many peeps go there). It looks like you can park very close to the beginning of the canal, by going all the away south on Aspen St. in Springfield. And, then work your way towards the I-5 over pass.

And, if you go just under the over pass to the west side--there is a spillway. (This spillway is between I-5 & the foot bridge). If you are there right after it gets planted...you'll do well in the tail out! But, it gets fished out really fast, cuz they only put about 20 - 40 fish in it at a time.

The canal juts off of the Willy, in Springfield. goes about a mile and into what locals call the "Radio Tower" pond. Then, the canal meanders and goes past Autzen and the Science Factory. Then, into a fairly long "backwater" stretch and past Kowloons Restaurant. Then, into a couple more ponds and over a spillway and back into the Willy.

Have fun!

Last edited:
M
Michael
That's great man, I really appreciate it. Now I've got a few places to really go and work it.

Thanks again. I'll report back on how I do.

troutdude
troutdude
Hope you have fun down there!

My first trip to ABC, was in mid-February. I didn't catch any at the Radio Tower Pond. But, then I caught four 12 - 14 inchers, at the I-5 Spillway on Power Eggs. And I wrapped up the day, by catching 6 or 7 more in about an hour, at the "outflow / spillway" pond. Got 'em all on Green/Orange combo Power Eggs n' scent.

I really like that place. I wish that we had a park like that in my neck o' the woods.

Have fun!

P.S. The locals (nwkiller, natro, and others) have said that there are also some BIG bucketmouths in the Radio Tower Pond.