Very, Very, Very Short day on the eagle...

F
FishSchooler
got to the creek late, around 8:20. no one was there. We were alone. I didn't know if it was legal to fish there or not because there was no movement around (bridge in bonnie lure is where this is). I brought out the two rods, on bobber and the other drift. i start casting the bobber into a slow pool/run/seam right by the bridge pole. Casted by it 5 or so times and nothing happened... time to move on. water was pretty clear. then I went back to the car to get a drift setup/tacklebox. got to the riffles and I couldnt find my tag/license. Uh oh... Then a police car drove onto the bridge... oh crap, hundred dollar fine... but it just drove on. i was looking for fish until I heard someone yell. I looked back and saw my dad sitting in the mud. His legs and shoes were wet and covered with mud. He tried to jump across a puddle but he fell in... :rolleyes:

The end...

O
Obsessed
Sorry to hear you had such a crummy day on the water, but if you weren't sure that it was legal to fish there and you didn't have your tags with you then you really had no business fishing in the first place.

F
FishSchooler
Obsessed said:
Sorry to hear you had such a crummy day on the water, but if you weren't sure that it was legal to fish there and you didn't have your tags with you then you really had no business fishing in the first place.

I know... but I realized it was legal to fish there cause two other fellows went down to the same spot when we were leaving. Arent tags only for retaining fish? Why would one need to buy a tag if they arent even going to put anything on it because the fish go back to the river?

A
ArcticAmoeba
It is the law. You need to be in posession of your lisence, or tags when you are targeting game fish in Oregon. That would make the purely C&R fishers non-contributing members of the angling community, exactly what the state wants to get away from. Always carry your lisence when you are carrying your fishing gear. I keep mine in a backpack that I can't fish without.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
It is the law. You need to be in posession of your lisence, or tags when you are targeting game fish in Oregon. That would make the purely C&R fishers non-contributing members of the angling community, exactly what the state wants to get away from. Always carry your lisence when you are carrying your fishing gear. I keep mine in a backpack that I can't fish without.

I thought I had mine in my tackle box, thats where I left it after going to Riverside...

M
Mike123
Just to catch and release you still neeg a license and tag.
I left mine in my truck once by accident, and the game warden almost gave me a ticket. He made me run to the truck and get it. Also another thing is always use PEN and NEVER try to erase a mistake because they will fine you for erase marks... if they want to be finicky.

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Just to catch and release you still neeg a license and tag.
I left mine in my truck once by accident, and the game warden almost gave me a ticket. He made me run to the truck and get it. Also another thing is always use PEN and NEVER try to erase a mistake because they will fine you for erase marks... if they want to be finicky.
I got a $100 ticket at O'Dell at 5:30 in the morning memorial day weekend for not having my license, trying to kill some kokes...It was a transition period where I had been fishing for springers on the McKenzie the week before, and had my tag in my salmon bag, which i did not take because who needs salmon gear for puney kokes? Costly lesson learned. I keep it in my wallet now with my driver's license.

Never ever fish without your license and tag.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Fishschooler over time I have learned to form a checklist I go through very last thing before leaving. Rods, tackle, tags, bonker, camera, phone etc etc.... It's well worth it.

F
FishSchooler
GraphiteZen said:
Fishschooler over time I have learned to form a checklist I go through very last thing before leaving. Rods, tackle, tags, bonker, camera, phone etc etc.... It's well worth it.

Yeah, normally I over prepare... This time, I just didn't get excited enough to go through everything...

F
FishFinger
FishSchooler said:
I looked back and saw my dad sitting in the mud. His legs and shoes were wet and covered with mud. He tried to jump across a puddle but he fell in... :rolleyes:

The end...

You need to keep a closer eye on your dad! Tell him he needs to keep out of trouble if he plans on going fishing you you again...:naughty:

Parents... You can't take them anywhere!

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
Bumber

Bumber

Man nothin' like trying to keep parents out of the mud to squash a trip. Your next trip will be much better, has to be. You might even hookup!:pray:

Y
youngbuck307
Its hard as hell to say this but had a short day there myself... This is my first year steelhead fishing but I have been fishing scents i was 4. I normaly fish the sandy because its just down the road and were my dad fished back when could (got sick and can't now) but i been talking to some people on here and hit up eagle today i drove up past the park fished and then back down past it.... I walked in and down one of the trails to the bank a lil below the fish ladder. i was bobber and jigging it when i seen a cocktail shrimp and i have seen befor about people using them as bait. Well i put it on the end of my hook and fish on first cast..... had him on for about a min long enough to see silver but ended up breaking of.... i lost my bobber and noticed i forgot the rest of them on the seat of my car walked back up and took another trail down...... and thats when i seen it i was fishing above the dead line, the trail i had gone down on the FIRST time it didn't have one sighn and you couldnt see the old wood one across the river and on top of it all the wire isn't there that i remeber NOW from when i was a kid.. so at least i hooked one :D and learned were not to fish today..:rolleyes: just like some one els said it kinda gets like shooting a ducks on a pond

F
fourgotten
ArcticAmoeba said:

License certainly, but I don't believe that you're required to have tags unless you retain fish... though I'm not 100% on that...

A
ArcticAmoeba
You need something that you can record retained fish on. Wether it be a Hactchery Harvest Card, or your 20 spot Liscense. I save my actual Liscense portion for finned Columbia River Chinook. You are only allowed 20 with fins, might as well make it count! Haha. But the point is, when you are fishing, you have the chance to retain fish, that is all the OSP care about. Even if you are C&R. So just make sure you have your documents.

K
Kodiak
Regs

Regs

fourgotten said:
License certainly, but I don't believe that you're required to have tags unless you retain fish... though I'm not 100% on that...

The regs are pretty clear, you must have a tag, C&R or not. Be careful!

M
Mike123
fourgotten said:

Is there really that many people out there without proper tags fishing? :think:

F
FishSchooler
Yes, I agree with Fishfinger, you can't take parents anywhere... :lol:
Last time at riverside, we also had to leave early cause like 1 hour in, he had to take a......... and before that at cedar creek, I was going to catch a giant coho until he had to take a................ and the first time at riverside he had to take a............... Next time, I'm making him stay home and bringing my mom!

If you don't need a harvest card if you aren't harvesting, I wasn't breaking the law at all. I am under 13 so you dont really need a license.

S
SDK
Mike123 said:
Is there really that many people out there without proper tags fishing? :think:

It seemed to be a problem when I lived in Salem, and would fish the stocked trout ponds. I had my license checked probably 9 out of 10 times I fished them. I also saw someone trying to run away, pull thier rod out and/or getting ticketed almost every time. The offenders seemed to fit a certain demographic that I'd rather not mention on a public board :rolleyes:

I keep my license in my fishing vest, which I always have no matter what I am after....

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yes, you do need a Combined Angling Tag to target Salmon Steelhead, Sturgeon, and Pacific Halibut, regardless of age. Page 3 or 4 of the Regs state that very clearly.

O
Obsessed
You are correct that you don't need a license, but you still need tags to fish for steelhead, salmon, or sturgeon weather you plan to keep them or not.