Vernonia pond

H
halibuthitman
Just got back from vernonia pond and its chocked, stocked and ready to rock. A pink blue fox was killin em for me, powerbait was hot and cold for everyone and as always at vernonia the crawler was king. I got about 15 in 3 hrs, didn't keep any, they were awfull small. Fishing should only get better in the next few days. even some old steel still swimming around in there and from what some locals said the flood a few years ago didn't hurt the bass fishing at all.:dance: so grab a couple of tots and go get some stockers!

O
Oregonchris
That pond is a lot of fun.

F
fisherwilly
The pink blue fox, "pinkie" to me, is my go to trout lure. I don't eat much trout, but is a good indicator if there is trout to be caught. Sounds like a good time catching.

B
beaverfan
I wonder if in a few years if some trout fisherman in the river there are gonna hook into any lunker bass that may have escaped.

O
Oregonchris
A co-worker of mine lives out there...he said the flood never actually got over the pond banks---I dunno if this is true for sure.

H
halibuthitman
Heard it too

Heard it too

Oregonchris said:
A co-worker of mine lives out there...he said the flood never actually got over the pond banks---I dunno if this is true for sure.
A state trooper told me the same thing. And a fish tech told me large mouth bass will hunker down in deep calm water in a flood so if they don't get blown out they stay put. :cool:

T
thelibrarian
Heading up to Vernonia tomorrow

Heading up to Vernonia tomorrow

I'm taking my 5 year old daughter out to Vernonia tomorrow morning. It will be her very first official fishing day. I took her out to Kelley Point this afternoon to practice casting. I'm sitting on the couch tonight tying up a bunch of little rigs so we can just plunk when we get there.

I'll report tomorrow with hopefully some success pics. Any last-minute tips? I'm thinking of using crawlers and a little float for my daughter while I spin. Wish us luck!

T
thelibrarian
...and thanks BTW to Halibutman for the recommendation. We were going to go out to Mt. Hood Pond, but I think Vernonia will be a much better experience for both of us. I've got a #616 Rainbow Trout Blue Fox all shined up and ready!

Halibutman, do you bait that Blue Fox at all or just let it rock 'n roll?

O
Oregonchris
You will like Vernonia pond...should be less wind and willing fish. Go the bobber route for the kid.

H
halibuthitman
vernonia

vernonia

I hope im not too late in responding, I don't bait the blue fox, just cast and let it sink a little. And I forgot a pretty important piece of info in the originel post, they have raised parking to 4 bucks now. GoodFishing and I hope your daughter has a very succesful beginning to her fishing career!
I hope to see a picture later!

O
Oregonchris
4 bucks??!?!?! That seems a little the out of line for Vernonia pond...I can understand the city hurting for cash ...but how is charging 4 dollars going to make that much more? If they want to make money they should put in a beer garden.

Last edited:
P
Paul
Hi, Im new to these forums and interested in this pond. Where is this pond located?
Is it a good place to fish here this weekend?

T
thelibrarian
Success!

Success!

We each caught our limit of little stockers on Saturday at Vernonia. Saw one kid pull out a monster 20"+. His dad looked jealous :D

Anyway, video...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcWlFShqXss&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcWlFShqXss&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

M
MontanaMoose
First fish

First fish

That's what it's all about !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

T
thelibrarian
Oregonchris said:
4 bucks??!?!?!

Yeah, after getting the kid up at 6, packing up, donuts, coffee, ice for the cooler, etc. and finally getting to the parking lot and getting out of the car - DOH! - No Cash.

Had to pack Audrey back up and drive back to the Shell station to get my $4.

W
Webwader
Nothing like the thrill of a kid's first fish. Might be the start of a lifetime love. :clap:

K
karyoy
New to the area

New to the area

How do I get to Vernonia Pond coming from Portland, Oregon? Thank you!

H
halibuthitman
directions

directions

hwy 26 to banks, right on 47, for around 14 miles, slow down to speed limit going throught vernonia, pass shell station and school go up hill pond will be on your right. I used my float tube and flyrod there a few days ago and Im still grinning from it! Good luck, and seriously, don"t speed through town.

B
beaverfan
Anyone been out there recently? I'm gonna be out there for a medical marijuana get together and want to take the time to learn how to fish bass and crappie. Will be trying some nightcrawlers and probably some top water lures. Any tips. Anyone know if there's carp or catfish in there?