Vacuumed sealed fish

F
fish face
How long will it really last before it goes bad?

jamisonace
jamisonace
For Salmon and steelhead....I think the flavor is significantly degraded at about 3 months. I smoke it if it gets to 6 months.

I let my nose determine if its good or not. Sometimes you have to cut off a little freezer burn but you'll still have a good piece of fish.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
It depends if you are freezing it in a chest type freezer that doesn't defrost or if it is in the freezer part of a fridge.

In a chest freezer kept nice and cold (0F) and correctly vacuum sealed (no freezer burn), I find no degradation with fish, whole trout/kokanee or salmon fillets, that have been frozen for a year.

In a fridge freezer, because it periodically defrosts and usually isn't as cold, I would probably say 3 to 6 months...

cheers, roger

Irishrover
Irishrover
Part of the trick is getting a real good seal. OK not the seal the eats our salmon I mean the air tight seal. We have found that the more air the quicker the fish will spoil.

F
fish face
Well, it was halibut that was given to us frozen and vacuumed sealed. The date was May 09---so I’m thinking no good?

hobster
hobster
Like Roger said, i've heard a year at the most. I'd say no good by a long shot.

D
DYJ
Anything over 6 to 8 month mark I smoke or cook with a Jamiacan Jerk recipe that I got from a local in Negril. It's the kind of recipe that'd make planter trout taste good. I'll eat fish over a year old in the frezer but 09 is almost 5 years old. I'd try to turn it into fresh crab meat.

B
bigboy70
mine never make it to the freezer lol