Vacation time in central Oregon

M
mxnbb
Hey everyone, I've got a week of vacation time for the middle of October and I'm looking to camp and fly fish the whole week.. I have yet to fish central Oregon so I'm looking for some advice on where to go.. metolious, fall, deschutes?? any specific spots anyone can point out would be a god send, or just point me in the right direction and let me find spots. I dont mind having to hike a bit.. Thanks

brandon4455
brandon4455
The metolius in fall is incredible..you have sockeye (thanks to fish ladders) & kokanee coming up the river to spawn, and the bull trout follow up to spawn and eat eggs and flesh...and not to mention the caddis action..big dries and big nymphs for rainbows.

the deschutes in october is cool too and you would probably catch more fish but the metolius for the whole experience in general is hard to beat.

Reactions: eugene1
S
sunsalem
mxnbb said:
Hey everyone, I've got a week of vacation time for the middle of October and I'm looking to camp and fly fish the whole week.. I have yet to fish central Oregon so I'm looking for some advice on where to go.. metolious, fall, deschutes?? any specific spots anyone can point out would be a god send, or just point me in the right direction and let me find spots. I dont mind having to hike a bit.. Thanks
Forget the Met.
It is a fickle fishery that requires a lot of experience and knowledge.

Fall River and the lower Deschutes is where the real action is.

If stillwater is your cup of tea, try the Deschutes arm of Wikiup (below S. Twin) and westside of Crane Prairie.

M
mxnbb
sounds like lower deschutes it is..
are there any good camping spots I should be aware of? I just have never been on the deschutes and dont want to be wasting any of the short time that i do have

H
hydropsyche
The metolious is on fire right now bring your dry fly rod and medium size Drake flies bows are taking fies out of anywhere and holding in very close distance. Swinging then stripping BIG streamers s has been producing epic grabs from big bulls. Haven't fished the middle d in a while but I would assume it's doing good. Lower biridge folly, waters and steelhead falls all have good access on the middle. The fall is the fall easy fishing for stocked bows on an amazing spring creek bring your size 18 to 20 bwos and midges and toss soft backless and steamers under logs.