UV - the theory

D
Drew9870
UV just seems like another way to catch fishermen, usually we look for anything that is proven to work and we like to modify it ourselves or look for modified versions to find better results, but in reality, it is best to use what you know works. Adding UV is another way to take plain yarn and overcharge for it, lol.

After you read this, tell me, how often are you targetting Salmon or Steelhead in fresh water over 40 feet deep? Put this together, do you think a fish will ignore a non UV yarn ball and then once you tie on a UV yarn ball of the same color do you really think it will make the world of difference, HA I doubt it, but anyone who promotes the product and uses only that product will obviously have a different story.

For those just getting into the sport, if something worked way better than something else, then trust me, others would be drifting the same thing down at the river because word of mouth gets around quick. Remember, you were the one caught with the UV theory, the fish was the one caught with just another wad of string, UV does not look like something they naturally ate any more than something non UV, fish eat Salmon eggs, and I doubt eggs have UV in them (unless your river is close to a Nuclear Power Plant).

Glo-Bug brand yarn makes about a trillion different colors, they also have the Bling yarn with the Flashbou in it, it also ties up some awesome Glo-Bugs, and I doubt the fish care about what the Yarn feels/looks like, it is also consistent unlike that other stuff which is like a extra long colored cotton ball.

M
Modest_Man
Heh. I was just looking at their spinners. Do you think they were made to catch fish, or to catch fisherman's eyes? The "INFERNO" and "PREDATOR" lines crack me up. Flames and lightning bolts? And $8.25 each to boot...

B
bigsteel
a fish doesn't care if its uv or not,i myself find it a hoax.now they got stuff you can dye herring pink bright orange uv.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I
imfishing
[UVer's thinking...UH OH they're on to us.]

[We need a diversion....Quick]

Ladies and Gentlemen...Mr. Conway Twitty

[If you have ever seen the hit show family guy, you might get the joke...if not...sorry]

My complaint is the same as its ever been...

Having purchased "Their" New UV Yarn....

I was amazed at just how little you got for your $3.50 per tuft.

My intent was to make yarnies with the yarn...but you barely get enough to fish with.

I emailed them about it, and got back some mumbo jumbo about how it is what it is.

"Yep they got me" 35 bucks worth. but hey I do that sometimes in my quest for

the golden Steelhead.

I was going to give them some jig business actually a lot of jig business.

And some rod business, and some guide business.

Hell I was going to be a ********* ******** spokesman but i think they're just

the flavor of the month.

I hope I don't make that mistake again...

Thank You ********* ********.

B
bigsteel
how much did you get for $3.50? i wonder if uv means you wont snag up as much?UV is a novelty item,looks cool but doesn't do anything non uv products do.i have never heard of someones catch rate skyrocketing just because they tied on a uv yarn ball..im sorry you got jipped.

Diehard
Diehard
what about those socks the oregon ducks have now i think a strip of that would definetly ketch a bunch of stealhead and i just happen to have one!!!

H
halibuthitman
the only thing on earth that will actually improve your numbers is fishing with someone better than you.... everything else is an accessory to talent-

Diehard
Diehard
no truer words were spoken

D
Drew9870
Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing a product, because obviously I use the product myself only because you can't really find some of the shades of some of the colors on the shelves from a different brand, and I really like to have a variety of shades of red, orange, and pink yarns. The speaking of the product and always using catchy ways to not only get your attention to read it in the first place, but to also announce that product was proven to work as if people didn't know yarn and jigs catch Salmonids :wall:. -UV Jig catches Coho-, uh no, the jig itself did.

I
imfishing
Smitty's UV Yarn

Smitty's UV Yarn

bigsteel said:
how much did you get for $3.50? i wonder if uv means you wont snag up as much?UV is a novelty item,looks cool but doesn't do anything non uv products do.i have never heard of someones catch rate skyrocketing just because they tied on a uv yarn ball..im sorry you got jipped.

I bought every color they had...

When it arrived, each small bag had less then 18 inches I would say.

I would'nt say I got jipped...per say.

In my head the yarn is so expensive that I don't even want to use it.

I'm savoring it till I really need it, then I always leave it at home.

No I got exacty what I paid for.

Some faded Glo Bug Yarn with 11 Herbs and Spices Mixed Right In.

I don't think it has added to my success rate at all.

But then....

I also have nine different bottles of scent too.

Guess I'm just that way....[Sounds of Baying sheep all around]

If I passed on making the purchase...The way my head works...

I would be fishing on the river not catching a thing, even drying out in my honey holes...

Every one around would be just slammin' em....To which I would reply...

"What are catching all those fish on?"

The excited fisherman's response would be...

"OH MAN I JUST GOT THIS NEW KIND OF YARN IN THE MAIL.... YEA IT HAS SOME KIND OF CATCH'em MIXED WITH IT."

SO....It goes on my self of shame along of the other flavors of the month.

BUY IT...I CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO....CAUSE ONE DAY......YEP IT"LL HAPPEN....I'LL GET TO BE THAT GUY.

I need to draw the line at $8.50 per spinner though...

Good Day Gentlemen.

D
Drew9870
bigsteel said:
now they got stuff you can dye herring pink bright orange uv.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

And how often in a Salmons lifetime do they see a radioactive Herring swimming around?

J
JeannaJigs
Lol

That's all I'm gonna say.

S
steelhead_stalkers
imfishing said:
I bought every color they had...

When it arrived, each small bag had less then 18 inches I would say.

Its 30 inches per package at three times the diameter of glo-bug yarn = 7.5 feet of glo-bug yarn. ;) It is more expensive, for the same price you get 15 feet of glo-bug yarn. :D So it is not that much more expensive than glo-bug yarn and you get a yarn made here in the Oregon. Thanks for your order, we appreciate it!

This was also posted some time ago about more studies on UV and fish. I don't expect anyone to actually read it but here it is anyway.

"There is overwhelming evidence that all spiecies of salmonids see and use UV at ALL stages of thier life cycle, that is to say before, during, and after smoltification.

UV Research

And in multiple spiecies of salmon :

Multiple Species UV

These articles not only show that UV is a life long sight process, that it is intended for finding food...oops forgot that link (SpringerLink ) and that it intensifies as they reach maturity starting when they move into less than 40 ft of water. It is an effective way to catch multiple spiecies of fish."

Last edited:
C
Chedster
I got a bonus in mine...I had 48 inches:D

H
halibuthitman
ok... so isn't just a tad funny... to be backing up the use of u.v treatment as an aid to catch these unbelievabley elusive cagey finicky salmoniods..... that is applied to..................... yarn?

brandon4455
brandon4455
JeannaJigs said:
Lol

That's all I'm gonna say.
yeah... theres a lot that could be said abou this subject bu no point because arguments always break out.

M
mlw
I feel compelled to respond - so far the thread title hasn't appeared in the discussion. I happen to like a number of UV fly tying materials, and so do some of the area's best guides and fly tiers - in particular, I like UV chewee skin. I got a multi-pack of the SS yarn, and like it too - I like the feel of it, it ties nice egg flies, and nice yarn bodies for steelhead flies. Compared to many fly tying materials, I thought the price ok.

I have done some reading about trout, salmon, steelhead perception (a couple books, and several articles or papers) , and while it is rather hard to know what a fish perceives, a number of fish biologists, and graduate students have looked into what they are capable of sensing. That they are capable of seeing more of the light spectrum then people, including the ultra-violet section we don't, is fairly well established. Whether that means a uv fly or jig will catch more fish is anyones guess - There are so many variables in the question that isolating one factor as "improving the odds" or "not improving the odds" will take some time (30 years from now I'll bet we have a better idea).

I've never met the Steelhead Stalker folks, but I admire their entrepreneurial spirit - it is quintessentially American.

Michael

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
a fish doesn't care if its uv or not,i myself find it a hoax.now they got stuff you can dye herring pink bright orange uv.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

hey dave,, remember uv cereal? HAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: i'm sure mike does LOL

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
personaly I have tested u.v against traditional in enviroments where there were without a doubt a very large number of ocean brite steelhead, in yarn, there was absolutely no measurable catch difference with 2 guys fishing each style and then switching the next day what fisherman fished what, but... and I again say but, I outfished, as in caught 2 times the total catch of the other three fishermen the third day using a custom u.v spoon.. so, its my assumtion that u.v is useless when delivered as a food, but VERY effective when delivered as a trigger... cause if your tryin to catch a monster.. and relying on flash and brash... u.v cannot hurt-

S
steelhead_stalkers
Where you using our yarn Halibuthitman? Thats a good test to do. On the water side by side. Thanks for the input!